Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,696   Posts: 1,482,534   Online: 963

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

APUG Ethics of B&W conversion of color image

So I was scanning the last of the film I shot at the Grand Canyon in january to post a few. There's one image in particular I was proud of, it was an image I had shot 2 years prior on Kodachrome and hadn't quite done a good job because I didn't understand or even know about reciprocity failure at the time.

Really complicated story simplified, the Velvia I planned to have didn't make it to the post office, and one of the only chromes I had when I got to this image was highly expired Ektachrome EPT (yes the blue stuff).

So the image is blue, and it does have a certain appeal as is, however I feel it would look much better as a B&W converted image. Now, I would assume there is a process, whereby you can print chrome's onto B&W paper, yes I realize it's a positive image, but I'm sure it could be done by reversing the paper or some such thing. So, since I don't have a dark room, develop in my sink in daylight tanks, and don't own an enlarger, I can't print optically, but I want to show the image in my gallery. Am I allowed to convert it to B&W and post it as long as I label it as such? or is that forbidden here?

This is the image...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10minuteEktachromeCompare.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	64899

EDIT: FYI the walls are of some kind of RED stone, the color cast is because it's EPT.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Am I allowed to convert it to B&W and post it as long as I label it as such? or is that forbidden here?
    nope ...
    you can post it on DPUG, or in your apug-blog or maybe ( not sure ) in a photo folder on your profile page but not in the gallery ..
    the blue looks nice, kind of like an in camera cyanotype chrome.
    Last edited by jnanian; 02-28-2013 at 09:15 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Throw it on an enlarger, follow a standard B&W print process, and then scan the print. Now we're talking.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Why not use a slide copier, but copy onto black & white negative film, then print it?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Our community has specific rules for a reason. What Sean has created is unique and special and it is our responsibility to uphold its virtues. Obviously we all understand your situation but if X is allowed then next week someone wants Y allowed then after a while APUG becomes ZPUG
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nice image though. I like it in Blue too.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Why not copy it on B&W film and have it developed and printed commercially. But no digital work please.

PS I've just noticed that you have you have your prints for sale. With no enlarger how can you print your own work for this purpose?
    Last edited by Vincent Brady; 02-28-2013 at 08:09 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Funny, I like the blue a lot more.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

APUG Ethics of B&W conversion of color image

Ok ok, I won't convert it.

I don't have access nor the knowledge to print optically.

Also this is a chrome, so NO ONE can't print this optically...

I also don't have the skills or knowledge to copy the image.

The only thing I do is shoot and then develop in my sink. I don't have a darkroom nor anywhere I can make a dark room in my home (I'm not allowed as its not my home).

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Brady (TEX) View Post
    Why not copy it on B&W film and have it developed and printed commercially. But no digital work please.

PS I've just noticed that you have you have your prints for sale. With no enlarger how can you print your own work for this purpose?
    If someone wants a print, I take the scanned file to a printer and they print it for me. I don't know anyone who owns an enlarger nor any photo labs that still print optically, I do my best to use labs that print with true print paper of course.

This is disclosed ahead of purchase of course.

I love APUG but if I only scanned prints that were made entirely traditional, I wouldn't have any prints to show.

I respect the reason for the "traditional" idea, but I don't think it's fair to be excluded from a community just because I don't have access to something. I'm not harming anyone and I don't discuss non traditional stuff. I was told it was OK to upload scanned negatives so long as they weren't photoshopped. I may do some slight tone adjustment to match the negative when the scanners auto setting picks the wrong mid point, and sometimes i get rid of dust particles. but that's it.

Am I wrong about this too?

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Keep the blue. It has more mystery.

Chalk it up as happy mistakes.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin