Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,702   Posts: 1,482,652   Online: 643

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    With all my travels both domestic and foreign, Charles DE Gaulle Airport has been the only one that refused to hand check my film. The x-ray caused no problem and I have since had film x-ray checked a couple of times because we were too rushed. None of the times has it caused fogging but if possible I have it hand checked.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    in September, 2012 I asked for a hand inspection at CDG Airport and they were polite and efficient, checking 20+ rolls of 120 film. It was early in the morning, 7:30 am, however. No problems.

Kent

Shooter
    Large Format
    To my knowledge, only the USA has explicit regulations that require hand inspection of photographic materials upon request.
    I have sometimes encountered courteous operators at foreign airports that would honor that request, but usually not.
    To get from the sidewalk in front of Munich Airport to the physical aircraft for a non-stop flight to Chicago, my hand baggage was x-rayed three times: front door, when checking in at the ticket counter, and just before boarding.
    Luckily, I had no film with me on that trip.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are a professional and can prove it, it helps. The first thing the French asked me was if I was a professional. South Africa have stickers on their machines stating that also though the Xray will not affect low ISO film, you may still ask for an inspection. It can't be such an extraordinary request.

How does film get distributed world wide? Is it ever Xray'd? Are we paranoid (I know this has been whipped to death). If you're that paranoid, buy and develop on location.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I would just remind them that we got France out of two World wars, and if it wasn't for American, British and commonwealth troops they'd all be speaking German now, so I want my damned film hand checked
    If it wasn't for the Soviet Union, we all would be very fluent in German by now
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fascinating reading here. Any other countries that give film photographers a problem? Just to repeat, I had no issues at all in Japan and Hong Kong. They were very friendly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post
    If it wasn't for the Soviet Union, we all would be very fluent in German by now
    Very true, the most of WW11 was fought in the Soviet Union, Germany had about 176 divisions there,and only around 76 in the rest of the World, if they, Italy, Finland, Romania and the rest of the Axis powers had not invaded the USSR and concentrated on Europe the outcome may have been very different, but I digress
    Last edited by benjiboy; 03-04-2013 at 03:27 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Not really CDG related, but: I recently traveled in Middle East. In a country where UN blue helmets are present and you see army with guns in public places.
    At the airport, everyone has to put their all bags through an oversized (not the normal cabin baggage size) X ray scanner even before checkin. I unloaded the film (HP5+ @1600) and put it in my pocket (in a plastic can). But, given the circumstances I figured this could put me in far more trouble than it's worth... So I just put the film in the bags and let them scan it.

I assume it was a good thing to do given that the security pats-down everybody, even if the metal detector does not beep.

I haven't developed the roll yet, so I don't know if it's been ruined or not.

Shooter
    35mm
    Benjiboy, obviously, you have little experience with the French. They really appreciate what the Allies did, (which includes myself, being Canadian), but, like most people, don't want it shoved in their face after two generations, (including myself, being Dutch born).
    Can you get Taylor Landlord where you are? God, I miss that beer!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Fascinating reading here. Any other countries that give film photographers a problem? Just to repeat, I had no issues at all in Japan and Hong Kong. They were very friendly.
    Actually, I find most of Asia quite accommodating. But I've never been granted a hand inspection in Europe, even though a few people have reported otherwise. The most frustrating thing I found at CDG is that they would refuse a hand inspection every time, and then do it after my camera bag went through the X-ray because of all the camera gear in it. That being said, I've had film scanned (up to 1600) up to ten times, and have never had a problem.

Get a hand inspection when you can, but don't stress about it if you can't.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin