Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,557   Posts: 1,573,267   Online: 1004

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by hdeyong View Post
    Benjiboy, obviously, you have little experience with the French. They really appreciate what the Allies did, (which includes myself, being Canadian), but, like most people, don't want it shoved in their face after two generations, (including myself, being Dutch born).
    Can you get Taylor Landlord where you are? God, I miss that beer!
    Besides, without French help, the Americans would still be a colony, subjects (the awful word!) of a monarch (the awful word!) and pay taxes on tea...
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I asked for a hand search at Heathrow. Not only did they refuse, but when they realised the x-ray film bag I was carrying contained film, they insisted on removing the roll films from the bag and passing them through the scanner individually. When I complained the security guard said the scanner was film safe because it was low dose and chucked a photocopy of a Which? Magazine article at me. I tried to point out that the magazine had tested 100 asa colour films in metal cans and he was scanning Delta 3200 in paper - but I would have had more luck trying to explain it to my cat. He would at least try to listen. I think the moral s put them in a metal foil bag and keep quiet.

Actually, I am travelling overseas this week. I could fly, but because I am not going so far, I am going by ferry. This is because ferry companies treat their passengers as customers. Airports treat passengers as criminals.
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Thank you, that's good to know. Maybe I'll just give up on hand inspection. I had no problems in Japan. They were happy to help me.
    Narita or Haneda?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by steven_e007 View Post
    I asked for a hand search at Heathrow. Not only did they refuse, but when they realised the x-ray film bag I was carrying contained film, they insisted on removing the roll films from the bag and passing them through the scanner individually. When I complained the security guard said the scanner was film safe because it was low dose and chucked a photocopy of a Which? Magazine article at me. I tried to point out that the magazine had tested 100 asa colour films in metal cans and he was scanning Delta 3200 in paper - but I would have had more luck trying to explain it to my cat. He would at least try to listen. I think the moral s put them in a metal foil bag and keep quiet.

Actually, I am travelling overseas this week. I could fly, but because I am not going so far, I am going by ferry. This is because ferry companies treat their passengers as customers. Airports treat passengers as criminals.
    In regards to your last paragraph, I couldn't have said it better myself!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hdeyong View Post
    Benjiboy, obviously, you have little experience with the French. They really appreciate what the Allies did, (which includes myself, being Canadian), but, like most people, don't want it shoved in their face after two generations, (including myself, being Dutch born).
    Can you get Taylor Landlord where you are? God, I miss that beer!
    Actually I have spent a lot of time in France my aunt was married to a French lawyer and I visited them often at their apartment in Rue St.-Marc in St. Dennis Paris where they lived all through the Nazi occupation.
    The allies don't easily forget two generations of their young men's blood spilled on the soil of Continental Europe, my father was an infantry officer who helped to liberate France, Belgium and Holland who was one of the lucky ones who survived.

Taylor s Landlord is available about two miles away from my home at a real ale pub who stock many excellent beers made by small independent brewery s like Theakstons Old Peculiar
    http://www.britishbrewer.com/2010/02...ier-version-1/
    Last edited by benjiboy; 03-05-2013 at 11:32 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    They haven't forgotten, either.
    These flags fly year-round about 2 kms from where we live in France.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image1-32_edited-1.jpg  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamingartemis View Post
    In regards to your last paragraph, I couldn't have said it better myself!
    I used to look forward to flying. Now it is a necessary evil when all other transportation modes are impractical. I have to fly to Miami in 2 weeks and I am already worrying about my gear not getting there when I do, and that the sequester will have the security and traffic control systems slowed way down by then.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I recent went to Tokyo and was flying out of Detroit Metro (DTW). The security there is very tight so I emailed the airport ahead of time and asked them if they could hand search my film. They put me into contact with TSA who replied saying yes, I would be able to get a hand search. I then brought the email with me to the airport and showed it to the security people.

Maybe you should try doing something similar like that. It makes it more "official" and prevents security from feeling like they are doing something wrong by hand searching a passengers film instead of demanding it to be x-rayed.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I just gave a carbon printing workshop in Philadelphia. Upon opening my suitcase at home I discovered a note saying my suitcase was opened and inspected. I am not surprised, considering the odds and ends I had in there for the workshop. They opened up my box of prints -- I hope they enjoyed them! I had a full box of 14x17 X-ray copy film in there -- totally toast, of course, but I am planning on fixing it out and using it as a support material for carbon tissues, so no problem. I carried a box of 11x14 film in my hand baggage, though!

This is because ferry companies treat their passengers as customers. Airports treat passengers as criminals.
    Actually on the SF to Philly flight and back again, I felt more like a part of a load of cattle...

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    35mm
    Soviet help for the French and French help for the United States

Diapositivo: Thank you for saying what amounts to a minefield of political rhetoric (at least in the USA where we are spokepersons for 'God'). It both needed to be said and it happens to be the truth. - David Lyga

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin