Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,565   Posts: 1,545,314   Online: 896

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    So far I only know about TSA equip. I just returned from a trip using TMY400 sheets and rolls which got
    X-rayed three times, and after dev, absolutely no base fog or other issues. I don't know about X-rays
    in truly backwards third world countries like Texas, however - the bullet holes from everyone standing in line would probably fog the film in the holders anyway.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    Yes, I asked for a hand inspection and they filed a police report on me. They did do the hand inspection, though.
    Interesting--same story a couple of weeks ago; a lot of head-scratching, calling supervisors and a general je ne sais pas what the heck to do with this now... Must be some new internal memo or something and no one's too comfortable with it yet. CDG used to be so much nicer than Schiphol for this; I am saddened it's no longer true.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    For what it's worth (since everyone is saying it now haha) I went through many airports on my 2010 Kodachrome trip, and never had a problem with hand inspection except the flight home they insisted on ripping open my last 6 rolls of film that were still in their boxes that WERE in perfect condition.... HOWEVER they WILL NOT allow hand inspection of cameras if there is film inside and will insist on sending that through the x-ray, and I hadn't finished a roll TWICE and BOTH rolls had TERRIBLE banding on them, they are the only 2 rolls that were bad, and this is K64 ... 64 ASA film. I don't know if there's something in the design of the camera that heightens the x-ray or something, or they spent an extra long time on it because it had all sorts of gears and object s inside they had to be sure I didn't have something bad hidden, whatever the case may be, make sure if you HAVE to send the film through the x-ray, it's not IN the camera... just my advice. Maybe ask if they can send it through fast so there's less damage and separate it out from everything else. I usually have it all in one zip lock bag, I HOLD the bag when I send everything else through, and then I wave at the lady and ask really sweet and with a gentile smile on my face "can you please hand inspect these" (learn to say it in french!).

You can also get those lead bags, which will FORCE them to open the lead bag and hand inspect the film, but they are super expensive.
    I guess the best thing is to empty the cams on not have a partial roll in it.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I just gave a carbon printing workshop in Philadelphia. Upon opening my suitcase at home I discovered a note saying my suitcase was opened and inspected. I am not surprised, considering the odds and ends I had in there for the workshop. They opened up my box of prints -- I hope they enjoyed them! I had a full box of 14x17 X-ray copy film in there -- totally toast, of course, but I am planning on fixing it out and using it as a support material for carbon tissues, so no problem. I carried a box of 11x14 film in my hand baggage, though!
    You might want to test develop one of those X-ray films just for the hell of it. It would be interesting to see if anything shows up.

As far as CDG goes, I have zero interest in France, personally.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    ...I have zero interest in France, personally.
    uh-oh, just as i opened this amazing pauillac... come, have a glass, forgive the frenchies

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Iluvmycam View Post
    I guess the best thing is to empty the cams on not have a partial roll in it.
    Yep. Rewind, leave the leader out (35mm) and write the number of exposed frames on it, put it in a film can. When reloading, put on the the lens cap, (and for maximum safety, set the camera at the fastest shutter speed and the lens at smallest aperture). Advance to the number of frames recorded, plus one. Or plus two, if you're really concerned. Before reloading, check the film leader for any crud on it, to avoid scratches.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I thought it was just my fatigue after an a long flight. They said the film had to be high speed, which would have been easy to answer if the high speed film had not been home loaded Tri-X. After I convinced them it was they hand inspected, then wrote a report.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    You might want to test develop one of those X-ray films just for the hell of it. It would be interesting to see if anything shows up.

As far as CDG goes, I have zero interest in France, personally.
    Funny that this thread is still going on. I ended up not taking a film camera to France ( ) but instead a digital. Regardless, I had the time of my life there. Absolutely AMAZING place. I would go back there again in a heart beat. Truly a wonderful country, with wonderful people. I never cared much for France before but that was all theoretical. On the ground there in Paris, I got to experience the reality and wow was it great.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Fascinating reading here. Any other countries that give film photographers a problem? Just to repeat, I had no issues at all in Japan and Hong Kong. They were very friendly.
    In all of my trips through London Heathrow over the period of 30 years, NEVER have they complied with hand inspection requests, even in spite of rolls of film in clear plastic bags handed to the security staff, nor in spite of statements of 'high speed film'...the bag gets thrown back onto the conveyor thru the Xray machine.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I missed this thread when it first started.

I went through CDG last month, asked for a hand inspection of 120 film, 3200 speed, and had no problems.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin