Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,051   Online: 906

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Seems it really depends on the time and officer. I had my 120's hand inspected in CDG a couple of times. They have no idea what it is in the beginning but if u smile and explain they seem not to be too difficult. As a side advice, if u travel to China, they scan your luggage very often, even when u travel by train (example: from Hong Kong to Guangzhou ) so avoid high ISO or pushed films. In all case, never get mad. It never helps (especially in China, you don't want to argue in mandarin :0). Most the time they are quite nice either way although they may not understand you ( that's where my wife is very helpful - she speakers mandarin). In the end, don't panic and keep your smile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I just went through this Airport in Paris with film with no issues on the film it was scanned... I carried it onto the plane, do not put film in your luggage to be checked as the level of inspection maybe more than you wish for.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it's in carry on, the film receives more radiation from being up in the sky than it gets from going through the relatively low power carry on scanner. I would insist only on having Delta 3200 or P3200 hand inspected.

And airport employees are required to be familiar with sensitized materials.

I last went through CDG in 2011, and they hand inspected the couple rolls of D3200 I had, and I sent the rest through the carryon scanner without a hitch.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    I took 45-50 rolls of 120 and 35mm with me, through CdG earlier this summer (July 2013). I had all the 35mm in a plastic bag so that was an easy visual only inspection. Every step of the way hand-checked all of the film, but CdG pulled me aside and made me open a couple of the sealed pro packs of 120. They did the swab test on my Pentax 6x7, made me pull off the lens and the prism as it was plainly obvious that they separated. Being courteous, light-hearted and understanding that they had a job to do instead of expecting royal treatment made it all go smoothly. On the way out of France, I flew from Lyon to CdG and they did a very quick visual inspection on it all and did nothing more than a quick look at the 6x7.

Would I be so lucky next time? I don't know, but you can guarantee I'll be smiling and ready to charm rather than dreading some terrible outcome.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Do those shooting LF sheets ever have issues where they won't hand inspect the boxes and insist on opening them? Not understanding when you explain they can't open them because the film is inside without protection from light?

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not usually. film boxes inform the person holding them not to open outside of a suitable darkroom. If you have the camera to back up your possession of such a thing, they don't care.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Do those shooting LF sheets ever have issues where they won't hand inspect the boxes and insist on opening them? Not understanding when you explain they can't open them because the film is inside without protection from light?

never had that problem stone/ been back and forth a handful of times with sheets b-w + color
    including post 9-11 and post LSB where every 20 feet was another security checkpoint
    at heathrow airport.
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    never had that problem stone/ been back and forth a handful of times with sheets b-w + color
    including post 9-11 and post LSB where every 20 feet was another security checkpoint
    at heathrow airport.
    Good

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I flew from Seattle to Las Vegas in 09 and on the return trip I had a bottle of water I bought in the terminal and was drinking it while in line. As I got closer I did what I usually do when out. I put it in my coat pocket. I put my carry on including my coat in the tubs that go through the X-ray machine. They stopped the machine and fished out the bottle and handed it to me. "Do you want to drink it or put it in the garbage?" Pointing to a garbage can. Then they ran my camera bag back in and out then in then out then they stopped and asked me "Where's the flux capacitor?" They broke out laughing! I said I was going to a workshop and they smiled and nodded. It was pretty strange.

Another time in Seattle eveything ran through ok except my boots. The boots didn't make it through the machine. They insisted they didn't have them. I said they're what I wore to the airport. After a supervisor was called they shut the line down and opened the covers of the machine. Sure enough there were my boots. I still don't understand how boots in a tub on a conveyer can end up inside the machine. I keep a note of everything I put through.

As as for inspection of film I just put it through. My last trip was from Seattle to Amsterdam to Venice, the train to Milan, then to Rome and from Rome to Atlanta and Atlanta to Seattle. All my rollfilm was fine with no fog.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    I flew from Seattle to Las Vegas in 09 and on the return trip I had a bottle of water I bought in the terminal and was drinking it while in line. As I got closer I did what I usually do when out. I put it in my coat pocket. I put my carry on including my coat in the tubs that go through the X-ray machine. They stopped the machine and fished out the bottle and handed it to me. "Do you want to drink it or put it in the garbage?" Pointing to a garbage can. Then they ran my camera bag back in and out then in then out then they stopped and asked me "Where's the flux capacitor?" They broke out laughing! I said I was going to a workshop and they smiled and nodded. It was pretty strange.

Another time in Seattle eveything ran through ok except my boots. The boots didn't make it through the machine. They insisted they didn't have them. I said they're what I wore to the airport. After a supervisor was called they shut the line down and opened the covers of the machine. Sure enough there were my boots. I still don't understand how boots in a tub on a conveyer can end up inside the machine. I keep a note of everything I put through.

As as for inspection of film I just put it through. My last trip was from Seattle to Amsterdam to Venice, the train to Milan, then to Rome and from Rome to Atlanta and Atlanta to Seattle. All my rollfilm was fine with no fog.
    I guess I just don't trust you guys, and what I mean is, I like my blacks to be BLACK and I notice even new 3200 isn't fully black, so I worry about that kind of stuff, like "flashing film" maybe I don't want my film flashed... Lol

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin