Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,200   Online: 843

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Hand Inspection of Film at Charles De gaulle Airport?

From some of my reading, it seems that De gaulle airport in France might have more extreme security. Has anyone had a problem getting film hand inspected there? Anyone have experience there?

Thanks!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yes, I asked for a hand inspection and they filed a police report on me. They did do the hand inspection, though.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    35mm
    It will depend on the mood of the inspector that day, if he's had his coffee, and if he likes your looks.
    Good luck. I've gone through that airport more times than I can remember, and gave up a long time ago. For what it's worth, I've taken 400 film through as many as 6 X-rays, and have never had a problem. A number of years ago, they fine-tuned their machinery to get around this problem, because hand inspections slowed the lines down.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For what's worth: I have put ISO 400 and ISO 100 film in my hand luggage at CDG and not had a problem. With hand inspection, my worry is that they might remember what a 35mm canister looks like, but what if they have never seen a 120 roll film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    Yes, I asked for a hand inspection and they filed a police report on me. They did do the hand inspection, though.
    Are you kidding? What did this report say? My goodness.....I almost wish I didnt book this trip to France..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hdeyong View Post
    It will depend on the mood of the inspector that day, if he's had his coffee, and if he likes your looks.
    Good luck. I've gone through that airport more times than I can remember, and gave up a long time ago. For what it's worth, I've taken 400 film through as many as 6 X-rays, and have never had a problem. A number of years ago, they fine-tuned their machinery to get around this problem, because hand inspections slowed the lines down.
    Thank you, that's good to know. Maybe I'll just give up on hand inspection. I had no problems in Japan. They were happy to help me.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hdeyong View Post

For what it's worth (since everyone is saying it now haha) I went through many airports on my 2010 Kodachrome trip, and never had a problem with hand inspection except the flight home they insisted on ripping open my last 6 rolls of film that were still in their boxes that WERE in perfect condition.... HOWEVER they WILL NOT allow hand inspection of cameras if there is film inside and will insist on sending that through the x-ray, and I hadn't finished a roll TWICE and BOTH rolls had TERRIBLE banding on them, they are the only 2 rolls that were bad, and this is K64 ... 64 ASA film. I don't know if there's something in the design of the camera that heightens the x-ray or something, or they spent an extra long time on it because it had all sorts of gears and object s inside they had to be sure I didn't have something bad hidden, whatever the case may be, make sure if you HAVE to send the film through the x-ray, it's not IN the camera... just my advice. Maybe ask if they can send it through fast so there's less damage and separate it out from everything else. I usually have it all in one zip lock bag, I HOLD the bag when I send everything else through, and then I wave at the lady and ask really sweet and with a gentile smile on my face "can you please hand inspect these" (learn to say it in french!).

You can also get those lead bags, which will FORCE them to open the lead bag and hand inspect the film, but they are super expensive.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Are you kidding? What did this report say? My goodness.....I almost wish I didnt book this trip to France..
    They called over two policemen, took all my identifying details, name, address, phone numbe,r passport number, occupation etc.
    They recorded why I was causing a difficulty over and above the usual. All on a triplicate form and left. I presume the form got filed in case of future reference. I am not aware of any difficulty within the system subsequently.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I nearly missed a flight in France despite being early. I asked for a hand inspection and I was made to wait, and wait then then wait some more. I realised I was going to miss my flight. Then they said I needed to fill in a police report and that the films would be scanned anyway. The hand inspection also involved opening every box AND the foil wrapping, at which point I told them to stop.

Two lessons:

1) Don't bother trying to reason with a French airport guy
    2) Just scan your film and move along

I do use the lead bags and wrap my film in two of them. Those have never been treated as suspect and have never been inspected.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would just remind them that we got France out of two World wars, and if it wasn't for American, British and commonwealth troops they'd all be speaking German now, so I want my damned film hand checked
    Ben

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin