Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,924   Posts: 1,585,018   Online: 1021
      
Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 172122232425262728 LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 278
  1. #261
    MattKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Delta, British Columbia, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    12,950
    Images
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Most people your age wouldn't have the resources (financial) to acquire and ten have experience with anything more than digital, how did you amass such things? I will not assume until you tell me.


    Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    Stone:

    Like many of us, Chris grew up in an environment that fostered knowledge of and skill with film equipment.

    Given your fascination with the female form, I expect you would enjoy seeing Chris' father at work .

    See the link in Chris' post #8.: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum52/1...ml#post1399423
    Matt

    “Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

    Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

  2. #262

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    University of Arkansas, Fayetteville
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    597
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Most people your age wouldn't have the resources (financial) to acquire and ten have experience with anything more than digital, how did you amass such things? I will not assume until you tell me.


    Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    As a 23 year old who does much the same as Chris, I too resent the earlier remark. I know several young people who prefer film. However, as you stated they have not amassed the equipment like Chris and I have but they would like to.

    Kristoffer
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

    Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

    http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

  3. #263
    Ken Nadvornick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Monroe, WA, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,651
    Images
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Given your fascination with the female form, I expect you would enjoy seeing Chris' father at work .

    See the link in Chris' post #8.: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum52/1...ml#post1399423
    Boy did I ever get into the wrong line of work.



    Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

    — Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

  4. #264
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,997
    Images
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkroom317 View Post
    As a 23 year old who does much the same as Chris, I too resent the earlier remark. I know several young people who prefer film. However, as you stated they have not amassed the equipment like Chris and I have but they would like to.

    Kristoffer
    I don't know why you resent it, Matt's post proves my point, that his privilege is what allowed him to learn more than most about photography as a legacy, also having access to all that equipment, so he's a huge exception. I'm not saying he didn't take that legacy and do something with it, he did, and how has his own place. But, if I had that kind of access, I sure as hell wouldn't be 30 and have had to move back home to my parents...

    I don't exactly resent people of privilege, but I also don't like when they flaunt it. Talking about all his darkroom equipment and camera gear awesomeness, not because he was excited about it because he struggled for it and earned it, but because he was showing off. I guess that rubbed me the wrong way, and I reacted to it.

    I'm a good photographer, at least good enough I should be making money from it even for small publications, but because I have no access, no privilege, I'm nobody. And that admittedly gets under my skin. I guess that shows pretty obviously.


    Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

  5. #265
    Steve Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ryde, Isle of Wight
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    8,712
    Images
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lange View Post
    As a 22 year old.....

    That said, most people of my generation are ignorant fucking dumbasses when it comes to just about anything with a history longer than ten minutes.
    I disagree. I have a son just a bit younger than you, and while it seems that everyone of that age is a dumbass, the reality is that it's only those you hear about doing stupid things. You usually don't get to hear about the majority of normal, intelligent people so opinions are formed from what information you do get.


    Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

  6. #266
    Chris Lange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    765
    Images
    33
    I'm privileged only in having a supportive and encouraging family who happen to be creatives as well.

    People that refer to themselves as good photographers in a public conversation rarely are.

    -

    I do think many previously stated points in here are valid. I think modern contemporary photography is convoluted and overwrought with a masturbatory sense of "this is a photograph about a photograph about photography", or some other bs excuse for not being able to actually take a decent photograph. MoMA is currently exhibiting a wonderful Bill Brandt exhibition (for 3 more days...), yet adjacent to it is their New Acquisitions gallery, and there is a 100 foot roll of 42" wide color paper that has had chemicals dumped all over it at random intervals after having all been exposed with a number of different negatives along the entire length. It looks like the c-print version of a printer jam. It seems heretical to have such a thing in view of original prints by Brandt.
    Last edited by Chris Lange; 08-10-2013 at 04:56 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: unnecessary aggression.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

    or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

  7. #267
    Chris Lange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    765
    Images
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I don't know why you resent it, Matt's post proves my point, that his privilege is what allowed him to learn more than most about photography as a legacy, also having access to all that equipment, so he's a huge exception. I'm not saying he didn't take that legacy and do something with it, he did, and how has his own place. But, if I had that kind of access, I sure as hell wouldn't be 30 and have had to move back home to my parents...

    I don't exactly resent people of privilege, but I also don't like when they flaunt it. Talking about all his darkroom equipment and camera gear awesomeness, not because he was excited about it because he struggled for it and earned it, but because he was showing off. I guess that rubbed me the wrong way, and I reacted to it.

    I'm a good photographer, at least good enough I should be making money from it even for small publications, but because I have no access, no privilege, I'm nobody. And that admittedly gets under my skin. I guess that shows pretty obviously.


    Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    I get excited about the photographs I make using my tools, not about the tools themselves. My "flaunting" was more a response to the idea that young people who shoot film are clueless and make poor, dirty RC prints or make trite Lomo pictures and never move past that, remaining unaware of what is possible (on the production side) with the creative process. My equipment is my own, save for a few odds and ends, but I appreciate the assumption that I've been handed everything. I acquired most of my equipment via getting to know the right people who had a lot of nice stuff and weren't using it any more, and wanted it to go to a good home where it would be appreciated. I often spend a fraction of market price on my gear, the only exceptions being my M2 and Summicron, which I have only thanks to a scholarship and grant.

    The only reason I know that my temperature control/filter assembly is medical grade is because the plumber I got it from happened to have gotten it from a guy who had just moved from his house into assisted living, and no longer needed the dialysis regulation. I did not just go out and buy a medical instrument for my darkroom...but even if I had, that hardly would have been a basis for judgment.

    You can whine about where you would be if you had a famous daddy, but you should be complaining about Richard Avedon's grandson and not me if that's the tree you want to bark up.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

    or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

  8. #268
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,997
    Images
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lange View Post
    I get excited about the photographs I make using my tools, not about the tools themselves. My "flaunting" was more a response to the idea that young people who shoot film are clueless and make poor, dirty RC prints or make trite Lomo pictures and never move past that, remaining unaware of what is possible (on the production side) with the creative process. My equipment is my own, save for a few odds and ends, but I appreciate the assumption that I've been handed everything. I acquired most of my equipment via getting to know the right people who had a lot of nice stuff and weren't using it any more, and wanted it to go to a good home where it would be appreciated. I often spend a fraction of market price on my gear, the only exceptions being my M2 and Summicron, which I have only thanks to a scholarship and grant.

    The only reason I know that my temperature control/filter assembly is medical grade is because the plumber I got it from happened to have gotten it from a guy who had just moved from his house into assisted living, and no longer needed the dialysis regulation. I did not just go out and buy a medical instrument for my darkroom...but even if I had, that hardly would have been a basis for judgment.

    You can whine about where you would be if you had a famous daddy, but you should be complaining about Richard Avedon's grandson and not me if that's the tree you want to bark up.
    To you're other post point, I didn't say I was a great photographer, just a good one, I did say good enough to do small publications, not large ones.

    You don't have to list all your tools to prove you're not ignorant about photography, having those tools doesn't actually prove anything.

    I don't know your entire life, but I'm sure having access to your father and his experience and his contemporaries as connections (perhaps some of the people getting rid of old equipment) got you more doors than you may realize.

    Since joining APUG I have had a few experiences where people have been generous with me and have gifted things to me, but that's only the past year, before discovering this site I didn't know anyone who shot film, not a single person, I've met one person in this state one time from APUG, but that's it.

    Access is everything "it's who you know"

    I'm not saying you didn't earn more by using those connections, but you had a few legs up on most people in general, and and of your generation.

    I'm also on my phone so I haven't looked at your images, and I don't know if you've looked at mine, but I wasn't commenting on your photographic skills good or bad, and I don't think you should comment on mine without taking a look. (Speaking of the "people who say they are good photographers rarely are" comment).

    I also don't dislike you, I'm just pointing out that you had a huge advantage to lean film so you're not really a good example of the younger generation knowing about film. That's my main point.


    Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

  9. #269
    markbarendt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Beaverton, OR, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,796
    Blog Entries
    3
    Images
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Access is everything "it's who you know"
    Stone, I'd actually suggest that that little nugget be rephrased a little: "it's who you are willing to get to know".

    I'd also suggest that that is far from the whole story. The flow of life is pretty random; to use nautical metaphors there are tidal forces and waves that push us all around in very unpredictable ways.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

    "We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

  10. #270
    MattKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Delta, British Columbia, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    12,950
    Images
    60
    Stone:

    Chris may be fortunate, but not because of the equipment he has or has had access to. There are huge numbers of people of your generation out there who are similarly fortunate, in that they have had the opportunity to learn from readily accessible film photography resources.

    I am a couple of generations older than you, but I really don't have any equipment or materials now that originated with my personal resource - my father (and all those he knew and worked with in the photographic industry).

    What I do have is a lifetime of information, along with many past opportunities to learn from entry level experiences. /My access to a few of those entry level experiences were aided by my father's connections, but mostly I earned them on my own. And then, of course, I eventually decided to pursue something else as a vocation.

    I understand the problem of not getting what you need from the community you are a part of. The solution is to seek out the community that does have what you need, and try to:
    1) listen to those who are there; and
    2) contribute to it.

    APUG is not that community. It does, however, have a lot of people on it who are part of that community, so it can help you find it.

    You don't need much equipment to be part of the community. But if you become part of the community, it can help you advance far enough to be able to start making a living from your interests, if you want that, and have the abilities to be a success at that. Almost none of those abilities are technical photographic skills.
    Matt

    “Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

    Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin