Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,733   Posts: 1,515,347   Online: 984

Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141519 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by davidkachel View Post
    They have no clue why a photograph should not be made to imitate a painting.

Sorry to post again, but you're making me excitable.

Joel Sternfeld influenced a big move back to painterly compositional convention with colour work.
    Nadav Kander, Jem Southam, Burtynsky, Todd Hido - with his Hopper hotel room pastiches. They're all at it, and these photographers in particular have a massive impact on youngens. Very craft oriented too.

I don't think you're really aware of what's going on in photography, aside from amateur photo sharing sites.
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    Dear David,

How absurd. You're obviously not looking with much effort. I spent some time yesterday on my favorite digital web site reading a discussion of Adams' previsualization techniques, the Zone System vs. digital ETTR, and the differences between Adams'/Minor White's/Weston's approach to the art.

I get that most of the folks here don't like digital photography. Fine, don't like it. But do you really consider fellow photographers ignorant fools simply because they don't use the same equipment/process as you? I sure some of them are, but ALL of them?

How about sharing that web site with me? It might be what I have been searching for.

As to the second paragraph, WHERE DID YOU GET THAT!!?? I never said anything about anyone being ignorant fools, and I USE DIGITAL EQUIPMENT, 100%, so if I were looking down my nose at anyone, it would obviously be the people here, not the digital newcomers!!! I could not possibly care less if someone uses the same equipment/process as me. If you can make a good photograph with a bucket of fertilizer and a sharp stick, fine by me! I am the furthest thing from a methodology snob there is. I DO insist however, that what is represented as fine art photography not be printed on newsprint, mounted on plywood with Elmer's glue and covered in oil paint.

And in defense of the people here, I see very few who "don't like digital photography". I see people who have decided to continue to use analog materials for very rational, concrete reasons. I applaud and support that and I make copies of all my more important techniques available to them on my web site, free of charge, for just that reason. All this "my technology is better than your technology" nonsense is a big waste of time for everyone. All that matters is the final image.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Why shouldn't they? And is this limited to certain styles of painting, or is any manipulation outside of cropping, white balance, sharpening, and contrast adjustment considered inappropriate?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    Education is good. Studying art, including what was done in the past, will open your mind, change your perceptions and make you see and understand things otherwise you were blind to.
    I will take the question one step farther and say that if you consider yourself a "fine art Photographer" you should study art.. not just photography.
    While I was studying Kandinsky my non artist mother didn't get it and said his work just looked like a child's work. His work changed me as a human being and changed the way I see.
    Looking at a show by Ruth Bernard changed my ideas about nudes and how I would like to work with them.
    Looking at a show by Stieglitz changed my vision.
    Holding an unframed Irving Penn Platinum print mounted on aluminum changed my direction.
    Studying my coffee cup with a reproduction of pears painted by Cezanne set off a whole series of photographs.
    Knowing why Weston lived the way he did changed the way I want to live.
    Studying etchings affected my aesthetics in platinum printing. As well as studying drawing.

There is nothing in life that is better if it is ignorantly done.
    Dennis
    Well said, indeed!

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I have read this info and have his book sitting beside me, I still stand by the statement.
    We make prints here daily in all methods, I do not buy for a minute that inkjet prints will last beyond 50 years in any setting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    Please read through the information at http://wilhelm-research.com/ to fully understand how good the archival properties of ink jet printing has become.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    A lot of Carbon Printers would disagree with you and this statement shows your lack of knowledge on the subject. The amount of pure carbon pigment allowed though the nossel heads is nothing compared to a pigment load applied by hand by true carbon printers.

Carbon inkjet prints and their longevity is a sham put forth by the inkjet manufacturers.
    I think you are confusing terminology. Inkjet manufacturers make no claims about the longevity of carbon inkjet prints. They DO make claims about PIGMENT inkjet prints, but carbon inks come from other manufacturers that the makers of inkjet printers would prefer to see disappear.

And I find your claim that a lot of carbon pigment is more permanent than a little bit of carbon pigment to be somewhat questionable.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have read this info and have his book sitting beside me, I still stand by the statement.
    We make prints here daily in all methods, I do not buy for a minute that inkjet prints will last beyond 50 years in any setting.
    Interesting, especially because my PhD chemist friend refuses to pay a dime for anything inkjet for this exact reason...he prints only in PT and Carbon
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sbattert View Post
    ...Fine art photography seems to be finished at the commercial level. What does the young guy need to know other than point, click, edit, send to be printed? The archival process is in the hands of the marketing department at the lab.
    I think you just made my point for me.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have read this info and have his book sitting beside me

Henry has several books and MANY reports.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    why is it wrong for someone to make a photograph that looks like a painting? i do this often
    and didn't know i was doing something wrong. i am able to do this using an eletrick camera but i would rather use
    traditional materials ... emulsion painted onto paper ( or glass ), exposed, processed and then painted on again.

photography is much more than grand landscapes and peppers and using a large format camera.
    it is a disservice to photography to say something should or shouldn't be done.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin