Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,586   Posts: 1,545,813   Online: 1128

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Even before the advent of digital technology photography was mechanized, automated to a great extend. And I am speaking of Barnacks days.
    Thus the designation "manual" was far fetched already.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Actually I see manipulating images using a keyboard differently.

I have spent years learning photoshop... I use my hands to move the mouse, hit key commands paint in contrast, sharpness colour correction.
    I have spent many years printing on an enlarger as well, frankly I feel at a certain level both are hand made prints, guided by ones thoughts.

I would ask those who have spent a lot of time imaging in Photoshop to think about the moments when they are working on an image.
    For me the feeling is the same as when I am standing in front of an enlarger, the tools are different but believe me great digital prints are not done with a press of a button and WHAM there you have it.
    It takes considerable talent and practice to be good at both methods. The biggest learning curve for me in the last 20 years was how to use a computer to make images,
    I am extremely thankful I did.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Digital photos can be "hand printed" too. A lot of alt process people are printing images with negs made with OHP film made with an inkjet printer. So a shot made with a digital camera can end up as a hand made print. It all depends on the work flow.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    When we make prints in the darkroom we remove a sheet of paper from it's box and place it on the easel.

I have seen many websites of digital photographers who state there prints are hand printed or they print all their prints by hand etc.

Are these statements stretching the imagination just a little too far or are they very misleading statements, full stop?
    The grammar police will be on to you over the misplaced apostrophe and incorrect use of "there" instead of "their" - That aside, digibashing is probably best left to those that debate the finer points of Canon versus Nikon ad nauseum.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think they are trying to say they make the prints themselves, rather than paying a photo lab or printing company to do them. I do digital prints because of my health problems that make it impossible for me to work in the darkroom. The alternative would be for me to stop photographing altogether, which I cannot do. It is what I live for. I make my own prints though, and if you think that its just a matter of 'pushing a button', you've never made a good digital print. Getting prints that match what you created on the monitor is a pain, and involves a lot of work, calibrations, etc. Despite the fact that having a good lab do it would be far easier, I prefer to do it myself, for the same reason I did my own darkroom prints before I got too sick to do them. I want full control of the process.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_c5x4 View Post
    The grammar police will be on to you over the misplaced apostrophe and incorrect use of "there" instead of "their" - That aside, digibashing is probably best left to those that debate the finer points of Canon versus Nikon ad nauseum.
    Now telling myself, Must type slower, must spell check more

Not digibashing, just hand printed bashing

Shooter
    35mm
    Making professional quality, large format ink jet prints is every bit as 'hands on' as AgX print making.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm not saying there is no work in digital printing, just that using the hand word is a bit too much.

Take for example a guy who carves wood. He hand carves a piece of wood and makes an elephant. That to me is a hand made piece of work / art

Another guy programs a machine to do the same thing, I don't know if there is such a machine but you get my point. Fair enough he spends weeks programming the machine to make all the intricate carvings etc ( a skill in itself) Then he presses the start button and a machine carves it for him, would that be hand made, not in my book.

I just think there should be a different term used then hand printed, but as already said terms are a changing.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I'm not saying there is no work in digital printing, just that using the hand word is a bit too much.

Take for example a guy who carves wood. He hand carves a piece of wood and makes an elephant. That to me is a hand made piece of work / art

Another guy programs a machine to do the same thing, I don't know if there is such a machine but you get my point. Fair enough he spends weeks programming the machine to make all the intricate carvings etc ( a skill in itself) Then he presses the start button and a machine carves it for him, would that be hand made, not in my book.

I just think there should be a different term used then hand printed, but as already said terms are a changing.
    But he may be carving in real time by pressing certain buttons. Is this not just as valid in skill?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not saying there is no work in digital printing, just that using the hand word is a bit too much. I just think there should be a different term used then hand printed, but as already said terms are a changing.

Yeah, I agree, their use of "hand" doesn't agree with our use of the word "hand." Then again, our use of "hand" doesn't agree with painter's use of "hand" either.

My point, really, is why should we feel threatened by this? Large portion of consumers don't care. Collectors who do care know the difference. We know what we mean. They know what they mean. So what's the problem?

By the way, I always get a chuckle when eating "home made" soup at restaurants.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin