Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,478   Posts: 1,571,010   Online: 886

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    They are all skills, but very different skills.

Certainly not threatened by it, the opposite in fact

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    I guess that's where it's at.

I just think there is a big difference in the "hand" part when it comes to traditional printing compared to digital.

Manipulating images using a keyboard and clicking print with a mouse doesn't seem hand made to me
    I agree with you, there is a huge difference in the "hand" part of the meaning------one set of hands gets wet and one set of hands stays dry, that is a distinction that might need to be part of the changing definitions. But, the term "traditional" really does it for me because a digitally produced print is in no way a traditional one, traditional prints involve "wet" hands----a "traditional wet darkroom print" seems redundant to me, IMO.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With the right machinery, you can make silver gelatin prints with little or no "hand" work.
    I know guys who work in digital that put every bit of effort into their digital prints that I do with any darkroom print, and their results show it.
    And as pointed out, it's not a matter of just hitting a "print" button.

Further, even with silver gelatin, should you want to make multiples using only analog methods, it's perfectly possible to create an ideal print, make a film copy of it, then make identical prints with no further burning, dodging or other manipulations. Doing that may be somewhat more work than doing it in PS, but the choice is available.

What really matters is the print, and a discerning viewer will appreciate the work that went into it regardless of the method of work. For the others "hand printed" I wager that won't have any meaning to them anyway, though education is always a possibility.

It may be sad that the term gets misused, or is not appreciated, but I don't know that it deserves to be sacred, or reserved for anlog work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    digital and chemical photography
    can be as labor intensive as one wants each to be
    i have made azo prints that only required me to put the lamp on for 8 seconds
    when i worked in a portrait studio there were tray rockers
    i have made digital photographs ( maris, they were light jet prints )
    the files and negatives were nearly perfect exposures, i have also manipulated the heck out of
    darkroom stuff and light room stuff ... hand made, made by a robot,
    auto exposure who cares ... its just marketing and posturing.

does it really matter what someone calls a photograph ?
    not really. the only people who care are people on photography discussion boards.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    John, is yours Hand ROASTED and BREWED?
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    John, is yours Hand ROASTED and BREWED?
    LOL
    yes, hand roasted, perk brewed steeped too ... thanks for noticing

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    Take for example a guy who carves wood. He hand carves a piece of wood and makes an elephant. That to me is a hand made piece of work / art
    But from his perspective, your idea of a photograph being 'hand made' would be an elaboration, if not an insult to his profession. To a sculptor of stone, the wood carver might be seen as a lesser 'hand craftsman'.
    'Hand printing', 'physicality' and 'tangibility' are terms which were appropriated to emphasise the virtue of traditional photography since the advent of digital. Before digital, it was just a given.
    Personally, I maintain that this self-consciousness about the process is the biggest threat to traditional photography.
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I wonder if in a few years, we'll we be saying the same thing about mobile phones and hands free systems - i.e. there is more of a physical connection with the recipient when using your hands to send messages.

It is ultimately that there is an illusion of human contact with the viewer while 'touching' the image throughout the process - that it is actually 'sensed', a psychic presence in the print, whether visible as fingerprints or not! I've wrestled with that idea a bit.
    Last edited by batwister; 03-14-2013 at 09:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    LOL
    yes, hand roasted, perk brewed steeped too ... thanks for noticing
    So you touch each bean as it comes out of the roaster??

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_c5x4 View Post
    Digibashing is probably best left to those that debate the finer points of Canon versus Nikon ad nauseum.
    And while they are debating the finer points of Canon vs. Nikon, those of us who have a Pentax are out making pictures!
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin