Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,694   Posts: 1,549,018   Online: 901

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    As a printer who works in alternative processes, the distinction between hand-made and not hand-made is drawn at the point where you start coating your own emulsion In all seriousness though, I think calling the final print from an inkjet printer 'hand-made' is an overreach regardless of whether you print it on your own printer or you send it out to a custom (or not-so-custom) lab. This is in no way a denigration of the skill of the person behind the lens and keyboard who created the image and labored for hours and days in front of their monitor to tweak, polish, dust-remove etc. But once that work is done, I CAN just hit the "print" button and crank out as many identical prints as I have paper and ink to make. In that case, the print is not 'hand-made', but it is still not mass-produced. The problem with the term hand-made is that it's really a marketing term and as such is mis-used to artificially imply value over and above the intrinsic merit of the content of the work. If the content is crap, then all the technique in the world isn't going to make the print a better image, but it may just sucker someone in to buy it who doesn't understand any better. It targets the same folks who buy art on cruise ship auctions.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think some people are seeing my comments as anti Digital, it's not about that, digital has some very good uses. Ebay photos for example

I just think it's preying on the consumer, just like any commercial enterprise will do. That's why I believe there should be more of a distinction between a digital print and a print produced by hand in the darkroom.

To me a digital print is hand manipulated but not hand printed. A darkroom print can of course be both.

And enough of the coffee bean jokes!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The thing is, consumers by large don't care and ones who do know.

Outside of Internet forums, most people look at the image and the price and at certain price point, name of the artist. How exactly the image was made is largely ignored.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    I just think it's preying on the consumer
    Hardly. Consumers want their prints fast and cheap - and they always have. It's NOT a new digital 'thing'.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's amazing how much of stuff we discuss in depth and argue over at length really doesn't matter to people outside the Internet enthusiast forums and to some extent, it shouldn't bother us either.

This hand-made print thing is just one example. Archival processing doesn't really matter either - is my print worth keeping 150 years? So does the extra sharpness of certain lenses. Tonality of certain films and developers - who's comparing?

I do some of that because I care but often, I have to pull myself back and really think - is this necessary?
    There's hobbyists and enthusiasts. There are consumers. There are professionals who cater to consumers.
    Priorities and requirements aren't even close for many cases. Oh, yeah, then there are Internet forums!
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Once I attended a gallery opening of John Wimberley's rock art photographs. I approached John and asked if he printed digitally, to which he held up his hands and wiggled his fingers, "these are the only digits I use", he said. By the same token, I met a reknown photographer (who will remain nameless) who spent a year harrassing his roommates pet cat to get the photographs for a book which he published. He informed the group who was listening that he just loves to do digital. All he has to do is set up the printer, push a button, and go play tennis while the machine did all of the work. Talk about the consumate craftsman. Needless to say his prints were utterly atrocious.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Lack of respect for the art of photography?

Quote Originally Posted by M Stat View Post
    Needless to say his prints were utterly atrocious.
    Looks like there was a lack of connoisseurship with the artist.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    After using digital means for over 20 years, I have no interest in pursuing it any further. It's not hand crafted in my book, is far too easy and between the web born hype and massive amount of Flickr born digi-garbage I see out there, I have no respect for it....I use it for commercial work, but I am trying eventually get out of that genre.

I have one life, that it...just one. I can not in any way see wasting it inventing compu-snap number 104,304,100,229,445 along with the rest of the world, posting it to some lame website that showcases what brand of camera I use and calling it "Fine Art Photography".

I care about how I spend my time and what I am handing over to my customers, I am not in any way interested in selling people computer prints.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    Manipulating images using a keyboard and clicking print with a mouse doesn't seem hand made to me
    I don't even want to know what you use to push your mouse around.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    I don't even want to know what you use to push your mouse around.
    Well duh, a cat!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin