Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,684   Online: 730

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Peter, thank you for sharing this.
    I enjoyed reading your piece immensely
    And, although I sometimes use a Holga, it never even occured to me that you wrote anything against the "crowds who use them" (to paraphrase...).
    Again,thanks for a very nice (and good) read!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Kehler View Post
    I use a Holga as well (and greatly enjoy it, I even won an award with one) but part of the enjoyment is the unpredictability of it. You just never know what you are going to get and if it is usable. You have to admit it is very much a "pet rock" type of item, something that very in vogue at the moment but will likely not have long staying power.
    Holga has been a mainstream camera since at least the late '80's here. As such, I wouldn't call it a pet rock type of item. Might have something to do with a photography school being in a nearby town. I'm sure plenty of people get them as gimmicks though. I've seen a lot of nice stuff from Holgas, but I prefer fuzzy large format (on good film) over fuzzy small format.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    redrockcoulee, your kind of Holga user is not the fool I was referring to. The fool is the one believing and convincing others this is all there is.
    That is good to know and thanks for explaining however reading your original posting twice again I still get the same message from your wording.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I enjoyed it, but think you were a little bit too hard on the hipsters!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i have never heard of anyone who uses non-high-end cameras
    say or even suggest that all film based /chemical based photography
    had anything to do with their little fun camera.
    its too bad you put so much effort into calling people names
    camera and technique snobbery is not good for any vein of photography
    +1 and long winded too. I have seen far more talent these days behind a lo-fi Holga than a lot of the "Technically Perfect" film snobs that post on here and beyond...

I would have simply said that "It's like the difference between when you first pickup a guitar, looking at finger placement on the fretboard compared to a few months or years later when you no longer have to because you can just feel it."

Or, even more simple, "Experience"....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am a bit afraid that you may have caused Molly to shut you off. I suspect that at least half her friends are using, or have used, Holga cameras and when she reached the point in your note where you called them fools she probably did not get a lot further. They may not be treading the same road to image making that we did, but half of the fight in getting youngsters interested in film in the first place is to make it fun. You obviously don't care for Holga cameras or Holga photography, and I am really not all that excited by them myself, but my grandkids love them. Since they love them they use them. Two of them have now graduated from using their Holga's to using more traditional film cameras, and they enjoy them as well. Besides, their imagination is contagious and I find myself trying new things just because they find it so exciting. It is probably good for all of us.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Expect some awkward smiles next time you see her. It sounds like reasoning for madness.
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Having a rant on APUG is one thing, but sending something in this vein - uninvited - to a "young coworker" strikes me as poor judgement

I think if I was Molly, I'd be feeling pretty disturbed about getting an email like that and I'd want to talk to my supervisor about it.

Let's face it. Film photographers are packing around a lot of anger these days. They are feeling self conscious, and unsure of themselves. If they weren't why would we be having all these threads by analog people complaining about digital shooters and digital prints.

It's like dressing like a Goth, then wondering why people are looking at you. They are looking at you because you are doings something different. They may ask you why you dress like that because they don't understand why you do it.

Analog photography has become a niche way to photograph. Some kids today have never seen an analog camera, don't know how it works, and have absolutely no idea how a darkroom works. For the consumer, analog died years ago and before some of these kids were born.

So if you want to be a grumpy old geezer that's up you, but you do have a great opportunity to teach people and evangelize the analog way if you wanted to.

I find the OP letter a good teaching tool, although a little harsh.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm on my phone at the moment and it is hard to type a long thought.

But I totally agree with you. I know exactly what the image will look like before I even pull the camera out of the bag. But recently my camera has been giving we weird results. Which was a bummer becuase they were from a hike in the smokey mountains.

The only time that a picture is not what I was thinking is when the camera messes up.

I think the problem is some weird reflections in the camera.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin