Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,223   Posts: 1,532,489   Online: 1064

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oddly, when I use my best friend's digital camera, I look at the LCD simply because I feel the digital is "unpredictable." It's a Canon Powershot, not an SLR, and very inconvenient to control manually (menus and such; too much of a hassle for simple snap-shots). I'm sure an high-end digital SLR would be fine.
    Because of the automation, and inconvenience in over-riding it, I have to check to make sure it captured what I intended and didn't do anything odd with the color and levels.

With film, I don't worry. I know it will come out fine. This is true with my SLR, or a point-and-shoot. No surprises like the typical consumer digital cameras.
    Truzi

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Because they're trying desperately to preserve just about the last surviving online meeting place they can go to discuss their craft without being called idiots. That's where the anger you sense is coming from. Not from a sense of being unsure or self-conscious about analog itself.

They're attempting to flee from the hordes of d-evangelists who won't be satisfied until this final online film oasis is overrun. Apparently those other 999,999 d-sites are not enough for them. They want all 1,000,000.

The complaints are less about digital in general, and more about digital overrunning Sean's analog oasis.

Ken
    I get that. But digital people aren't starting all these threads about digital. Analog people are.

I'm amazed that analog people care at all about what digital say, do or shoot. But they seem to because these threads are all rants about fn-digital.

Analog people have to be aware they are now an extremely small niche market. 25 years ago 100% of photography was probably analog. Now it's probably less than 5%.

So enjoy you uniqueness.

You don't get to be unique and special and be the same as everyone else.

Why not celebrate the fact that 95% of the photography world is the same and you're different.
    Last edited by blansky; 03-15-2013 at 09:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here, here! Exactly.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I will have you know that when I use my pet rock for taking pictures; there are no light leaks!
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    ...because these threads are all rants about fn-digital.
    Not surprising. Given the sky-darkening d-hordes, sometimes a visit to APUG is like a visit to Bodega Bay in 1963, and we're all huddled terrified in our sealed-off darkrooms listening to shattering glass and waiting for morning's first light...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by redrockcoulee View Post
    That is good to know and thanks for explaining however reading your original posting twice again I still get the same message from your wording.
    Yes. But remember, the original audience was not someone who would make the fine distinctions among photographic factions that we make here. Some have complained the message was way too long, and they are right. If I made the distinction you call for, it would have been even longer and less interesting.
    All paths are the same: they lead nowhere. Choose the one that has heart.

Don Juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good Lord. What happened in Bodega Bay in 1963? Did Kerouac show up with a bong?
    All paths are the same: they lead nowhere. Choose the one that has heart.

Don Juan

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    Actually, I have nothing against digital photography. My problem is I detest the behavior it requires - hours of sitting on my ass in front of a computer after having already sat on my ass in front of a computer for 30 years. However, I have grown to detest people who simply must tell me that sitting on my ass in front of a computer is so much better in every way than all the tactile wonderfulness I experience with film photography. Mollly was not doing that, only expressing amazement at finding somebody who both understands and enjoys film. And Molly is a wonderful young woman, intelligent, funny, very good at her job, and confident in a room full of men.

Playing the cranky old man, I find liberating - sort of living life as performance art.
    I actually think sitting in front of computers for hours is a virtue of the digital system. I see nothing wrong with that. I don't like it when people complaining that you have to do too much post processing when shoot digital. Oh well I have to do much more post processing using film from developing my film to making prints. The digital system allow most people to do post processing themselves unlike in film where most people can't do the processing themselves, I love film. I do not resent the digital. May be the only thing against it is that its popularity making manufacturers stop making film.

Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    Good Lord. What happened in Bodega Bay in 1963? Did Kerouac show up with a bong?
    The Birds?? Hitchcock.
    Last edited by blansky; 03-16-2013 at 12:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    The Birds??
    Aye, blansky, aye...

Evangelical, digital birds.

On power lines and rooftops. In the trees. In the forums. Everywhere.

Cover your head. Cover your eyes. Hope you don't need film for your camera. Or gas for your car...

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 03-16-2013 at 04:40 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added some good-natured gasoline to the fire for blansky...
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin