Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,701   Posts: 1,482,641   Online: 708

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Money question

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    Unless you are highly successful at it, then you are living a way that most can only dream of and that is far better than a hobby.

I am, actually considered as, being highly successful in my chosen field.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Purely a hobby for me, but I do not feel that it is very expensive. My latest purchase was an FM2n that was around $200. I've bought bulk film and develop it myself. Got my enlarger off Craig's list and almost everything else is DIY. I think I will spend a lot more money on photo paper eventually.. that's probably where my biggest expense will be. Still, including 6 or 7 bulk spools of film and everything else, I don't think I've spent as much as my unmentionable camera cost me, and I've got enough supplies to go for a long time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Was a pro for 8 years to give it up for a day job. Still love my work and photography is just a hobby. Most of my analog gear is 30 years old and I buy used on eBay and thrift stores. My job supports my hobby. Other than photography, I have few other luxuries. I try to live a simple life. I bike to work, pack my lunch and don't have cable. My other splurge is the occasional overseas trip. Hope to retire in 5-10 years to devote to my hobby full time. I slowly saving up to retire.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My photography is split between business and personal. About 60/40, and the business side is mostly for my use, such as selling something or advertising a service, that one would have to pay others to produce a picture. However, I have occasionally done work for others, mostly other businesses, and did it more for the challenge and enjoyment than the money.

However, it is not how I make my living, nor would I want to make a living at it. I think my contribution to the economy is much greater that way.

In any case, I have been fascinated with photography, both picture taking and processing most of my life.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    My photography habit is largely financed by photography work (but I have a fulltime bureaucratic job to pay for everything else in life). 90% of photography work is digital, but the 10% where I get to use analogue MF or LF film is certainly not for want of quality. Some people (other than us) are really into these things (tone, colour, je ne c'est quoi, hand-crafted, etc, etc.) The last commercial job I did on MF (6x4.5) Velvia was very nice quality indeed - I don't know that it's always a speed thing with digital either - from my experience a big factor is the stakeholders like to see, and thus have a say in the process, and screen on the back makes that easier. After editing and so on, the turnaround is often the same.

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The more I distance myself from the profession of photography, the more I enjoy photography. With that said, my previous work lent itself towards boudoir housewives and professional musicians as clients. If I ever find a way that makes good business sense to marry my love for film photography with an opportunity for a second income, I will take it seriously. But housewives and musicians seldom make for the best clientele so I would focus on other opportunities.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Fart View Post
    Hobby. But, more than that, I think of it as therapy. I was a very serious and dedicated smoker for about 23 years. That was my hobby. When looking for a way to stop, I (finally) realized that I couldn't afford to buy cigarettes if all that money was wrapped up in photography, an old hobby revisited. Within a short time I was so absorbed in the photography hobby, I couldn't find the time to even "think" about smoking. That was some 9 years ago . . . Cold turkey, over night. Within a couple of weeks of replacing cigarettes with photography, I was completely cured. No more coughing and hacking, and my sense of smell and taste all returned within a year or so. Things I have learned from this . . . 1. Money can be found, but there will probably be a trade-off. 2. Smoking is not an addiction, it's just a habit. If you want to quit, then change your habit to something that is more interesting (and safer). 3. Now, I have this stupid habit of taking a camera everywhere I go . . .
    Pro smoker, amateur photographer here.

Since a pack of 10 is nearly a roll of film in the UK, you'd think I'd have quit by now. Tomorrow...
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    Since a pack of 10 is nearly a roll of film in the UK, you'd think I'd have quit by now. Tomorrow...
    The drummer in my band quit at the start of this year. He has been putting away the money he would have spent on cigarettes and now has £250 saved which he wouldn't have had otherwise.

Definitely worth thinking about. I might even start myself so I can give up and save the money!

Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Recovering wedding photographer ...

.. now strictly a hobby.

(But I'm still very good at it)
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What I do is I like to surround myself with others that have the same passion as myself and we split the costs. In some large cities there are communal darkrooms. I let my friends use my darkroom as long as they chip in. For my day job I work at a corporate video studio as a TD, we use digital at work 100% of the time, I'm used to it and it bores the hell out me. Working w/ analog was how I initially learned my trade and still having much to learn I won't be giving it up anytime soon.
    extinction meters tend to be more accurate if you substitute your morning oj for carrot juice.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin