Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,657   Online: 1222

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Money question

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Working two jobs, one photo related (teaching) the other a summer weekend gig, and hoping for whatever freelance event stuff that pops up through word of mouth. I roll and develop my black and white film, I rarely shoot color and when I do, I send out for develop only to keep costs down. I try to buy short date or expired films if the right deal pops up, usually the slower stuff. Have my own darkroom to print in. Pretty much all my gear was bought used, many times bought broken to be fixed by myself to use, not show pieces at all. I haven't sold any of my prints (though I have never tried to), I make them for myself, and to give to friends and family. Not sure anyone would buy them anyway, mostly street. It's been though to hack it so far, not many jobs such as assisting that are not internships, and analog/darkroom jobs seem to be nonexistent.

Shooter
    35mm
    Tom1956, I have one up on you: I have NEVER in my life owned a car but have had a drivers' license continuously since 1966. My 'car' is public transport.

"Getting by' has, more or less, the same meaning for both of us (and many other readers who might be too hesitant to admit such). For some, financial 'ability' is an oxymoron and those with all the money they could possibly need oftentimes do not really understand that thought. Some time ago I posted about the high price of film and HALF the responders thought I was either crazy or misguided to assert such. I will say again: film prices, with few exceptions, are sky high. I am 63 and when I was growing up film prices were not even an afterthought to ANYONE because they were ALWAYS SO AFFORDABLE, EVEN CHEAP. (And Hershey bars were only 5 cents till I was about 13!) - David Lyga
    Last edited by David Lyga; 07-30-2013 at 08:21 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

You're amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Just an obsession with me for the last sixty years.
    That is great! Shooting for that long. Most people would have given into digital completely by now. All my friends that shot analog has gone that route. I've been shooting for about 30 years and hope to keep up my obsession for another 30.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    35mm
    Most people I know spend more at the bar than my partner and I spend on film and development; she shoots Polaroid, and we both do 35mm. Hell—we've spend more feeding our two cats than I've ever spent on photography stuff. (;

I'll also note that I find ways to spend less. Rodinal at 1+100 is a little cheaper than other development methods. I scan film at my university instead of spending money on a scanner. I also shoot very slowly, so I don't use that much film. I also don't like G.A.S.—all of the time I've spent looking for a camera to buy is time I could've spent taking pictures, processing and scanning film, etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can buy pretty much what I want, however I have no time to use it... working Mon-Fri and with kids that do sport 6-7 days/nights a week means time is scarce. One day they'll leave home and I'll have lots of time! Well, that's what I dream :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Started out as a freelance photographer with computers as a hobby but the economic realities made me switch that around. Now I work in IT with photography as a hobby.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nige View Post
    I can buy pretty much what I want, however I have no time to use it... working Mon-Fri and with kids that do sport 6-7 days/nights a week means time is scarce. One day they'll leave home and I'll have lots of time! Well, that's what I dream :-)
    I can buy pretty much what I want too, so long as it's bills, tax, insurance, gas, and 1 meal a day whether I need it or not.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Nige View Post
    That sounds like the BEST time to take pictures. Get some long lenses and get to it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'm a crazy SOB who is leaving a day job to pursue some scraps in photography. After some schooling first.

Shooter
    35mm
    When I had a full-time job in financial services, I bought pretty much whatever I wanted (not that I was rolling in cash, mind you - didn't buy a Leica; but I was on that semi-annual upgrade cycle of Nikon DSLRs...). Of course, this was 2003-2007, when I thought film was mostly a thing of the past and my purchases revolved around digital. Looking back, that would have been a great time to buy film gear. For a couple years during and after grad school, I did some freelance work as a commercial photographer, and that was mainly digital too; the work drove me nuts, it was very assembly-line and ... I got out of that. Now, I on a teacher's salary I finance my gear purchases by selling other gear - it's sort of a revolving door, with the occasional monetary loss when I can't make my money back. But I don't own nearly as much camera gear as I once did and I'm much better off for it. Film and chemistry I buy as needed, it's a few dozen dollars a month typically.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin