Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,933   Posts: 1,522,234   Online: 1037

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Money question

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keyofnight View Post
    That sounds like the BEST time to take pictures. Get some long lenses and get to it.
    Ohh, I take 1000's of kids sport pics... all digital though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    That is great! Shooting for that long. Most people would have given into digital completely by now. All my friends that shot analog has gone that route. I've been shooting for about 30 years and hope to keep up my obsession for another 30.
    Photography has been my life since I was thirteen, my family indulge my passion , my wife knows it's who I am and has always encouraged me. It's taken me a lifetime to try and learn, understand and practice the wonders of film photography, and although I'm in a financial position to be able to afford any digital equipment I want, I don't feel inclined to have to learn photography all over again .
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    I've always thought it was easier to make money from photography's ancilliary activities than as a pro. Selling cameras, providing print and developing services, being an educator bring in a steadier income than your average jobbing professional. There are exceptions of course, but most commercial photography is not a romantic occupation, it's a living (if you're lucky!) like any other.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm a pro lab owner who's only source of income has been photography the past 14 years. I find the money I earn from running my lab allows me to indulge in my own photography and gives me complete access to any direction in photography I wish to go. I am truly very lucky.
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    On the subject of money, if anyone has any old money, perhaps last year's which has gone out of fashion, I will happily take it off you.

Steve.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I have been working professionally since 1976 , my only source of income is from phototgraphy, I feel as passionate about it today as I did the first day I saw a print emerge.
    I am also working on personal projects at a rate that would be daunting for many, I use the camera as a tool to put images on film , I prefer to call myself a printmaker rather than a photographer, and the darkroom is where it all happens, not at the exposure / camera side.

Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    Unless you are highly successful at it, then you are living a way that most can only dream of and that is far better than a hobby. If the day ever comes that I can no longer earn a comfortable full time living off of photography, then I doubt I would do it even as a hobby because I would not have nearly the time or freedom to do what I want, when I want like I do now.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    When I have Leica, I dont have Money to buy film, When I dont have Leica, I dont have Money to buy film either.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I am confused , are you not under 30?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Frizza View Post
    I'm a pro lab owner who's only source of income has been photography the past 14 years. I find the money I earn from running my lab allows me to indulge in my own photography and gives me complete access to any direction in photography I wish to go. I am truly very lucky.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We were a 1-income family while our daughter was growing up, and remained so after that, due to my wife's health problems. This required a lifetime of real frugality. I always had a low level interest in photography, but never pursued it due to expense and family responsibilities. My increased interest coincided with becoming empty-nesters and the collapse of film. Now that I'm in my peak earning years before retirement and we were mostly unaffected by the recession, old habits die hard and I still am pretty cautious about spending on photography equipment and supplies. I never forget that every bit of it is just a toy. However, when an unexpected opportunity appears to get something I want at a good price, I don't have to worry about taking advantage of it.
    A politician is a man who will double cross that bridge when he comes to it.

Oscar Levant

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    I am confused , are you not under 30?
    Im 30, I got my first paid photographic job when I was 16 I've only ever done photography since. I didn't launch my own lab until I was 23.
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin