Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,547   Online: 1125

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Many of my students tell me film and chemical photography is cool. It's a totally new experience for them and the closest thing to magic.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    Popular Photography and Shutterbug lost no time in 'unremembering' over one hundred years of analog.
    I guess because they've not been around that long themselves, so it's easy.

The British Journal of Photography still covers analog but then they have a 160 year old heritage of reporting objectively about all aspects of photography

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Popular Photography, Science, Psychology, Mechanics, etc. have always covered what is... popular. I don't feel these magazines were ever accurate reflections of the subjects they cover.
    I've found them interesting, but even when I was into whatever it was that one of these magazines covered, they never really did it in a way that I found useful. They were good for learning what is going on, contain some "how-tos," but rarely helped with what I was doing - even if I was doing exactly what they covered. At least Reader's Digest is "up front" with what it is.

When I was about 14 I found some very old Popular Mechanics from before my time. I remember seeing "plans" to build an hover-craft (and of course wanted one). It was popular subject at the time of publication, but few actually wanted to build one. At the time of these publications, many fathers built their children go-carts with old lawn-mower engines, but through three years of this subscription, none of these old issues even mentioned that.

I'm also reminded of a mid-80s Popular Electronics that had plans to use a VCR camera to build a picture phone, as that subject was all the rage at the time.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Truzi View Post
    At the time of these publications, many fathers built their children go-carts with old lawn-mower engines, but through three years of this subscription, none of these old issues even mentioned that.
    OMG!! Kids used to go outside!?
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    From what I've heard. I always preferred to be in the air conditioning watching TV, so I guess I was ahead of my time. Nowadays it seems they don't want kids outside much because they feel it's suddenly unsafe - that seedy little star with it's nasty UV rays.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To feed the family pig in the Black country . . . . . . . .

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes indeed they did. I was one of them. I actually spent a few minutes today adjusting the brakes on my son's bicycle to get it ready for the season. Then we went and aired up the tires at the gas station (a block and a half from the house). Maybe we'll go for a bike ride tomorrow.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well I certainly feel my generation was the last to make tree houses and play hare and hounds (tag with a role-play element, for the yanks). My younger sister has missed out on a good deal of that.

I do wonder how this will affect the need to explore, for which photography has been the natural companion in the past. It seems that increasingly, you need a plane or helicopter for serious topographical landscape work. There's an environmental factor there too of course, but the 'God's eye view' is becoming the norm in many facets of the arts. The basic human perspective isn't enough.
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Back to the original question by the OP.

David I'm afraid that analog/chemical is dying off with the years. You need to accept that without melancholy and realize that there will always be a niche group that stays and plays/works in analog.

But the world has moved on with technology as it always does.

Photography has maybe 3 components, amateurs, artists, and professionals. The amateurs have moved on except for maybe 1% of the population or less. The artists probably dabble in both analog and digital and always will. The pros have moved on to digital as well, again except for maybe 5%.

As your and my generation die off there will still be a few people doing analog but not many in comparison to the population. There is not going to any new resurgence by young people to take this up. Anecdotal stories by members that claim that their daughter or their brothers grand nephew is now shooting with an old Nikon he found in a garage sale is not going to change that fact.

But photography is alive and well despite your depression.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin