Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,556   Posts: 1,573,175   Online: 952

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know if the following trend speaks about the average age of posters or not. But there has been a definite falloff in the quality of questions being asked in the last couple of years. Not only are the same questions being asked over and over but some show a definite lack of observation by the poster. As an example, (obfuscated as much as possible to protect the guilty) a recent poster was blaming a certain film for effects of light that anyone with a modest amount of acumen would know are perfedtly natural. Does anyone still really look at a scene before they trip the shutter?
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In the past 2-3 years the number of younger people I see buying film cameras at Camera Fairs has been rising, the proportion of Male to Female is also more like 50/50 compared with the predominantly male bias of photography a few years ago. This gender balance is also true for academic courses.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    In the past 2-3 years the number of younger people I see buying film cameras at Camera Fairs has been rising, the proportion of Male to Female is also more like 50/50 compared with the predominantly male bias of photography a few years ago. This gender balance is also true for academic courses.

Ian
    I would suggest the gender balance is far more female than male.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    I would suggest the gender balance is far more female than male.
    I wouldn't disagree and that gender balance is reflected in other education sectors, more females than males.

Ian

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    I don't know if the following trend speaks about the average age of posters or not. But there has been a definite falloff in the quality of questions being asked in the last couple of years. Not only are the same questions being asked over and over but some show a definite lack of observation by the poster. As an example, (obfuscated as much as possible to protect the guilty) a recent poster was blaming a certain film for effects of light that anyone with a modest amount of acumen would know are perfedtly natural. Does anyone still really look at a scene before they trip the shutter?
    My observations as well. When I first began visiting this site there seemed to be a lot of experienced (meaning older?) people answering qood questions. Many of those seem to have left or are inactive now and replaced by inexperienced ones asking the same questions over and over or answering them incorrectly. That is why I strongly advocate new, inexperienced visitors or members reading as much of the archives or articles as they can. That way any questions they have will likely be answered well and they will likely learn a lot along the way that they don't know. That is what I did and learned a lot. Of course they are always welcome to ask a question if they can't find the answer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The observation that questions, lately, show a lack of experience should lead one to infer that there are more "newbies" participating. Personally, I don't mind the questions. It shows the poster is interested in improving. And, the more the poster is helped, the less chance they'll become frustrated and give up analog. Let's be patient, and helpful...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    what's a "good" question?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    That's a good question.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    Let's be patient, and helpful...
    Yet again, I'm with Eddie.

While it may be the hundreth time a veteren member may have read the question, it's likely the first time the poster has asked it. So just answer it, if you know the answer. It's not that hard to do. And it doesn't take much time.

AND... this is not an elite academic environment where it's bad form not to have first read through ALL of the published literature on a topic before asking a simple question.

My college job was working at Disneyland. Wanna' know what the MOST asked question was? Yeah. And not once did my answer ever take the form of, "Well, did you first study the maps you received at the Main Gate to see if you can answer that question for yourself? Come back to me when you can say yes."

All the while watching a couple of young kids doing increasingly painful renditions of the potty dance...

Just give them the answer. All concerned will feel much better afterward. Really.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    One that hasn't been asked and answered over and over, probably because the archives were read or a search was done.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin