Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,692   Online: 1148

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If a newbie is interested in improving, or needs help, then why not read the archives? There is a wealth of info there. They should be promoted more and used.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RPC View Post
    One that hasn't been asked and answered over and over, probably because the archives were read or a search was done.
    Well, we'd probably be done, here. Over the years, almost everything has been covered. A little patience, as well as a supportive atmosphere, will go a long way towards keeping analog alive.
    This is an internet forum. It isn't a university with intro, intermediate, advanced classes...

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    This is an internet forum.
    Okay, then, don't read the archives and let's keep learning at a minimum.

Yes this is in internet forum, and with the archives, we reap the benefits of that. And one can still ask a question from, and comment on, an archived post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not answering questions which you consider should have been properly researched by the person asking the question also supports ignorance, of course.

Shooter
    35mm
    Sometimes a newb doesn't really know how to phrase the search, sometimes a search doesn't turn up the good thread or the exact answer, sometimes people just want fresh new info, and yes, sometimes they just don't search. In all of those cases if you know of an appropriatethread, mentioning it them to it politely is just good manners. Many new folks simply have no idea how extensive the archives here are. We all start somewhere. Hopefully we aren't put off by some old curmudgeon before we get the chance to grow into the really really good questions, like " I don't think Rodinal is really all that, agreed?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just don't see how a question that's been asked before puts any of us out, in any way. Just answer, don't answer, or if there's a useful thread, link to it.

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    Not answering questions which you consider should have been properly researched by the person asking the question also supports ignorance, of course.
    Nowhere have I said I wouldn't answer a particular question! And I'm not saying newbies should not post questions. But besides answering questions, we would be helpful to new posters by promoting the archives more. It is in their best interest.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    sigh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    sigh
    My sentiments exactly.

I'm with Eddie in pleading for more patience for those who don't know how to find things here. It can be difficult to sort through threads to find the answer to a particular question. Sometimes it's easier to just ask and find what people think TODAY. It is beyond me why someone would complain about reading questions they find repetitive. Why read it at all, much less chastise a newbie for asking it? And as for the "quality" of questions here, what offends you so much about someone asking rudimentary questions? I'd be more concerned about the quality of answers. Jason mentions good manners in our interactions with new users. Sadly good manners are often in short supply. I've witnessed more than a few new users being berated and shamed off the site for simply showing their newness and inexperience. This kind of behaviour shames us and does nothing to promote the future of analog photography.

Sigh, indeed.

Tom
    Last edited by Toffle; 03-31-2013 at 07:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We've all seen posts about promoting film photography, bemoaning it's relegation to extinction. They pop up every few weeks. But, we can't even be supportive of those who come here, to seek advice and information? People who have expressed their desire to pursue film use, evidenced by their arrival at APUG?

This may sound odd but, when I'm out shooting film (or on the web) I try to act as an ambassador to film use. When out, I'm always patient with questions (they still make film? why not digital?). I can't count the times I've invited people to peek under the darkcloth, and still enjoy the reaction to, "hey... it's upside down." I've actually convinced a few to give it a try- "My Dad has an old Nikon on a shelf. I'm sure he'd give it to me." I give them my contact info, if they have any questions. A few times I've given them developing tanks and some starter chems.

Nothing will turn people off quicker than a community which doesn't seem to want them.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin