Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,446   Online: 838

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't think it devolved that much. My concern with the archives is related to the OP's question two:

Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    Question two: Are most NEW members/subscribers young or older? (This says a lot about the future viability of analog, especially if there is a great percentage of new people here who grew up with digital.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess I'm of two minds on this. APUG is supposed to be an active forum with discussion (I think), not a dead archive. So I don't really understand why people would get bent out of shape when the same question pops up over and over. Why would we assume it was answered correctly the first time? Because it was a long time ago? Because it was answered by an older person?

On the other hand, in a way I take RPC's view even further when I suggest novice analog workers not even bother searching internet forums - active or archived - before getting at least some simple foundations from Ilford and Kodak publications (which I've linked to and suggested to newcomers). There is a lot of bad information out there, both new and archived.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    So I don't really understand why people would get bent out of shape when the same question pops up over and over. Why would we assume it was answered correctly the first time?
    Not too long ago I asked a question and received several answers, mostly leaning in a certain direction. 2 weeks later, somebody else asked exactly the same question and received the exactly the opposite answers.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    ....But what about this: as we 'experienced' know that sometimes the seemingly trivial can be annoying (but such 'annoyance' is duly mitigated by the FACT that they are fresh blood!) why not have a special 'catch-all' forum just for new comers? That way they would not feel so intimidated....
    I don't think new members feel intimidated asking basic questions (that some feel should be asked without previously searching the archives). The tone of some mbrs here towards these newly enlightened analog'ers is awful and regaling newcomers to a basic forum where they can ask "new film user" questions I believe can have a detrimental effect because what if one thinks he/she has "graduated" to use regular APUG and John/Jane Doe, whose been using film since s/he was knee high to a grasshopper doesn't think our new "graduate" is worthy...I can't imagine the awkwardness of such an environment. Or what if I decide to take up LF? Do I need to go back to the "new LF user forum?" Such overhead in my view...the mods would be marshaling questions all about depending on if the council of elders thinks the question is fit for "APUG new user" or "APUG seasoned user" sections....

I highly doubt this if the mbr in the thread below was regulated to a "newby forum" the tone of some towards his experience (or lack thereof) and chosen equipment would have evolved any different....not sure the mbr ever came back too....
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum52/94403-help.html

Last, why is this is philosophy? APUG Feedback seems a better fit...
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post

I highly doubt this if the mbr in the thread below was regulated to a "newby forum" the tone of some towards his experience (or lack thereof) and chosen equipment would have evolved any different....not sure the mbr ever came back too....
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum52/94403-help.html

Last, why is this is philosophy? APUG Feedback seems a better fit...
    To answer your second question first, maybe they were hoping putting it in the philosophy forum would encourage certain members to participate, whilst discouraging certain others.

As for Elamm and his black negatives, considering that the word "Lomo" was involved, he should count himself lucky that some members here didn't call for his head. Feel bad for the kid, though.

Cheers,
    Tom
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Here are some registration stats by month:

We've generally had between 450-600 new registrations per month for years. Overall activity seems fairly constant so I suspect any departing member traffic is replaced by new member traffic. We're not expanding or shrinking which I would think is typical of popular niche websites. The same goes for subscriptions, with departing subscribers being replenished by newer members that subscribe. Subscriptions are down slightly 10-15% from a couple years ago but I would suspect this is a symptom of the current global economy. What really keeps us going are those who opt to subscribe for more than the required amount.

Shooter
    35mm
    Sean, your graph is certainly informative, but how I do wish that I could 'read into' such demographic and determine, with accuracy, the chronological age of those 'replacements'. But merely 'keeping even' is something to be proud of.

If those 'replacements' are young and 'new to analog', that would be a major achievement here. And that would say plenty about the viability of this medium and, of course, about this particular website. (Of course, to be truly informative this statistic would also have to offer data as to how long such newcomers remain here!)

Theoretical perfection is not possible, but just brainstorming might become useful for future thinking on this topic. The fact that this thread 'took off' is, in itself, meaningful and bodes well for the delay of a funeral for analog.- David Lyga
    Last edited by David Lyga; 04-03-2013 at 08:06 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin