Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,001   Posts: 1,524,387   Online: 927

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Dear Ken,

Thanks for the clarification.

Writing in the 3rd person is not the prerogative of royalty (royals, and indeed our beloved ex-Prime Minister and mother of international criminals, Margaret Thatcher) tend to speak in the first person plural ("We are not amused", etc.). As mentioned, I wrote my statement in the 3rd person because it was intended to appear on a group website:
    http://members.aol.com/salon67/
    which is administered and edited by someone else. The style of this is that each member's name appears, followed by a statement in the 3rd person. It could equally be:
    Name
    "Statement in 1st person ..."
    It's just a question of house style!

Writing in the 3rd person is the norm in certain academic circles ("It is the opinion of the present writer that ....", "The author believes that ...", etc.). As such, I find it unremarkable.

Above and beyond this, it does seem that the principle of an open exchange of ideas has broken down on this thread. Its title is "Share your artist's statement", so I would hope that anyone reading this thread would actually be interested in reading these statements. I would cordially invite readers to comment on what I (and others) have actually SAID! To contribute to a thread of this kind and merely say that you consider artists' statements in general to be garbage seems to be missing the point.

Yours (in the first person singular),

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nothing personal was meant David, but I do find anything written in the third person very pretentious, whether it was meant so or not. It suggests to me this person has a huge opinion of themselves and is speaking down to the audience.

You might be interested in these old threads which took place here some time ago before you joined APUG. http://www.apug.org/forums/forum50/9834-inevitable-artist-statement.html

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthrea...ists+statement

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KenM
    Hey, he get's it!

You da man Ole! Even if you are dumping your 5x7...

I'm not "dumping" it - I'm replacing it! With another 5x7" of the same vintage, too...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    I'm not "dumping" it - I'm replacing it! With another 5x7" of the same vintage, too...
    Oops, I missed that. I just saw the ad and thought you were moving away from 5x7...glad your sticking with it!
    Cheers!

-klm.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington
    Dear Ken,

Thanks for the clarification.
    Ditto. It's always nice to hear another perspective.
    Cheers!

-klm.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    I had never thought about this until very recently, and came up with this:

Ole is a Norwegian photographer who started photography at the age of 9 when he was given a Kodak Instamatic. Deciding that this was fun, he quickly graduated to a "real camera", his father's 1949 Welta Welti.
    After the usual progression through ever more advanced equipment he decided something had been lost, and returned to simpler manual cameras, in sizes from 6x4.5 to 18x24cm. Since much of his equipment is approaching the century mark, the logical next step would be to return to the techniques then in use.
    Most of his images are "one-offs", since he values experimentation more than consistency.

Pretentious bullshit in 3rd person? Of course!
    In hopes that something positive may yet emerge from this thread, may I offer a (positive! honest!) comment on the above:
    Ole states that he has "not thought about this until recently". This is underlined by the fact that what he offers as an artist's statement is in fact nothing of the kind - it is a brief history of the cameras he has owned. The only indication he gives of his artistic intentions is when he says he "values experimentation". To understand these intentions, we need him to go a lot further in this direction and amplify what he means by this, what form his experiments take, how he feels about the result, etc.

Let me just go on to say this:
    Photography as a hobby can tend to be male-dominated and as such dominated by a bias towards the mechanical/technical rather than the emotional, with a definite behavior pattern of obsession with technicalities as an attempt to mask an unwillingness to engage with subject matter on an emotional level - which is the one thing you have to do to be an artist, as opposed to a technically superb but emotionally void craftsperson. This is why I have kicked back so hard at the "Oh, my God, artists' statements are all bullshit" idea. Some of them ARE, but formulating an accurate statement of intent in the simplest possible terms is a vital process for any artist.

Goodwill towards all [wo]men, malice toward none!

David

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    You might be interested in these old threads which took place here some time ago before you joined APUG. http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9834http://www.apug.org/forums/showthrea...ists+statement
    Hi there Andy,

I did do a search before starting this thread. I was interested in not just a discussion on artist statements, but actually reading statements by other artists. What words did they leave on the gallery wall that represented them and their views to gallery patrons in their absence? There is no right way or wrong way to write an artist statement...each one should be unique to the artist...just as their art should be!

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry, but I believe an artist's art should do their talking for them. If they need to explain it, then maybe their art isn't saying much?

I don't recall reading Michelangelo's statement, or Da Vinci's or Raphael's or Monet's or Beethoven's or Mozart's... those people were concerned with creating, not explaining. Their art did their explaining for them.

When I go to a Gallery, I have zero interest in being told what I should think or how I should feel when I look at the photographs. An artist's statement is an attempt to do exactly that. I want to formulate my own opinions and feelings about what I am viewing.

I generally have no interest in the artist's life story or why they do what they do. I am only interested in the art. I really don't care about Beethoven's life story, but I adore his concertos.

This is why I feel artist's statements to be superfluous.

Ps, David, the original post also expressed the wish for debate. Not just for people to post their statements:

Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin
    I'm interested in reading the Artist Statements from the exhibits of other photographers...to see what they wrote about their work, when they had time to fully organize their thoughts. I'm also curious to see if they spawn any debates!

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hi Andy,

I'm sure Micky, Leo, Raphy, and Eddy all played the Game and used all manner of schmoozing to weazle funds out of the Establishment of their day. It's just that their art was strong enough to last the ages...the words they used to win the favours of the rich didn't.

When I see a show I always look at the artists work first, then read the statement last, but I do read them.

Murray
    Last edited by MurrayMinchin; 01-14-2005 at 07:04 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: My 3 1/2 year old is winning!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To me, an artist's statement is a form of advertising. It can be written in third person, repeating the person's name, in order to reinforce it in a potential buyer's mind.
    It can be a way of sidestepping the problem of "Damn that work is good, now who was that?"
    It can be used to explain a body of work, but like jazz, "If you don't get it, you never will".
    I never had or used a statement, due to my scattergun approach. I simply shoot what I see.

Maybe if I had one, it would go something like this:
    "I use both color and black and white, not wishing to be limited or categorized. This runs the gamut from 35mm to 8x10, including color, black and white, and the occasional alternative process. Each picture exists in and of itself, but may speak to a particular medium better than others. There is beauty everywhere if you only stop and look."

Hell, maybe I only need that last sentence(?)

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin