Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,633   Online: 895

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by dehk View Post
    I don't know if there is an explosion, but I know a lot of big bull shitters, funny enough lots of people believe them.
    Exactly the same here in ther UK. Seemed to start about 20 years ago, up until then there was still an appreciation of qualifications and genuine standards in most jobs and professions. IMHO, this has been totally diluted in favour of what looks and sounds good, or what's fashionable. Next month this changes to something else "new".

An accountant friend of mine tells me of certain clients who complain about their tax bill and "know someone in the pub who says he never pays any tax". My friend always asks them if the person in the pub brags as much when Inland Revenue catch up with him. (Or, alternatively, what makes them think that Inland Revenue inspectors don't enjoy a drink in their local pub in their spare time. )

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Here in Italy it's always been like that (at least since when i started living in this planet). Many of us (not me) have the recipe for winning world cup in all sports. Just to make an example. I'm a rugby man. Started to play in 1980 and stopped in 2000. Since then i followed a number of basic lessons to teach the game to children (up to 12 yrs.). That's what i'm doing now (Teaching rugby to children). I may say i know the matter (rugby) to a certain degree. Most of the Italians are familiarizing with the odd-shaped ball in recent times. Many of them ignore at least 80'% of the rules and 99,99% of the rest (skills, training tecniques,tactic,etc...etc...). Most of the times when someone approaches me asking about the game, the six-nations,etc...he/she ends up with the perfect recipe to win the next 27 grand slams........

When it comes to photography it's even worse "Rolls are no longer available...Kodak has finshed its business....." ....... "Would you give me the pictures you've just taken ? (i own a contax s2) here is the USB key...."

It's a small world

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    That fits the modus operandi of one Ms Emma Harrison along with the rest of the sycophants and malingerers working in that "industry".

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Have you heard the term "personal branding"?
    Lemme light the fire and get the iron up to temperature. I got me a harpie in mind

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nothing wrong with a little bullshit!

No, I don't have a girlfriend!

It's the horizontal lines on my shirt that make me look fat!

It's just a cold sore!

It's how picking up in bars was done in the good old days!
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I believe it's how picking up in bars is accomplished, still.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
    Nothing wrong with a little bullshit!

No, I don't have a girlfriend!

It's the horizontal lines on my shirt that make me look fat!

It's just a cold sore!

It's how picking up in bars was done in the good old days!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i was a few years off ... it was the 1890s ...
    I had to chuckle at two posters in a thread about BS'ing, arguing about a date, and both are off by at least a decade.

My father-in-law knows something about everything, or so he believes. I've taken my wife's elbow in the ribs on a number of occasions when I've called BS. I just move away from her and continue the barrage.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So I'm assuming you hated the movie Catch Me If You Can?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by KenS View Post
    Let me see...

we have a pride of lions...
    a flock of sheep...
    a herd of cattle...
    a gaggle of geese

and now to add to the list of "groupings"

.... an explosion of bullshitters?

Better get that "new" one 'registered' with the Encyclopaedia Brittanica

Ken
    I think a good collective noun would be "a diarrhoea of bullshitters".
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    My father-in-law knows something about everything, or so he believes. I've taken my wife's elbow in the ribs on a number of occasions when I've called BS. I just move away from her and continue the barrage.
    Mine too. He still haunts me even from the grave... and whenever I mention his name my wife elbow tends to end up in my ribs. There's no escaping it expect for silence!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    I had to chuckle at two posters in a thread about BS'ing, arguing about a date, and both are off by at least a decade.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Lloyd_Wright

He first began his work as a draftsman in 1885, without ever having completed a formal degree. He acquired his position with Sullivan in 1888. So in fact he had actual experience before working for Sullivan, and demonstrated his ability to draw in Sullivan's style in interviews with the firm. So no bullshit actually involved there. Obviously the credential they were looking for was the ability to produce work, not a degree or experience per-se.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin