Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,406   Online: 1130

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    the funny thing is ... it is just as true 130 years ago as it is today
    usually you can't get commissioned work without a portfolio of work
    to show that you can do more than draw or photograph or whatever ...
    and you can't get the commissioned work without having experience doing it ...

as a photographer seeking freelance employment, perspective employers don't really care about
    personal work, although it does make for interesting conversations, they want to know who you worked for
    did the work get finished on time and was done as expected, they want to see "tear sheets" ...

what FLW did was lie about his portfolio, he said he designed houses for people he never did
    and the people who hired him didn't bother to contact his previous "clients" to see if he was FOS ...

he got the commission, and the rest was history.

as scott said, there is a lot of difference between doing renderings and line drawings and actually building something that exists ...

i always got a chuckle out of the emblem for " the school of mines " (architecture school before it was called architecture school)
    it is a golden shovel ... and, it suited frank lloyd wright well
    im empty, good luck

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    ...or are there more people today who seem to bullshit their way through life (trying to give the impression that they know what they are talking about, but donít).
    I thought that was the point of APUG.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Explosion of Bullshiters

Sadly, it is what is taught to the current generation.

"If you follow the rules, you are at a disadvantage."

"Sell yourself. Make people want to hire you."

"It's a marketing campaign and you are the product."

How do you explain to a young person about ethics, when the liars get the rewards? Half the problem is the BS. The other half, is those of us who reward the BS because we do no do proper checks and interviews.

"We have met the enemy, and he is us..." - Pogo Possum.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ambaker View Post
    Sadly, it is what is taught to the current generation.

"If you follow the rules, you are at a disadvantage."

"Sell yourself. Make people want to hire you."

"It's a marketing campaign and you are the product."

How do you explain to a young person about ethics, when the liars get the rewards? Half the problem is the BS. The other half, is those of us who reward the BS because we do no do proper checks and interviews.

"We have met the enemy, and he is us..." - Pogo Possum.
    Well said. What really annoys me is when you ask a question to a someone working in a specific field and if they donít know the answer, so they make it up. If I am asked a question about something to do with photography and I donít know, I say I donít know, but I will try and find out. Why do some people feel belittled by not knowing everything about a specific subject?

ďThe contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of inventionĒ

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    the funny thing is ... it is just as true 130 years ago as it is today
    usually you can't get commissioned work without a portfolio of work
    to show that you can do more than draw or photograph or whatever ...
    and you can't get the commissioned work without having experience doing it ...

as a photographer seeking freelance employment, perspective employers don't really care about
    personal work, although it does make for interesting conversations, they want to know who you worked for
    did the work get finished on time and was done as expected, they want to see "tear sheets" ...

what FLW did was lie about his portfolio, he said he designed houses for people he never did
    and the people who hired him didn't bother to contact his previous "clients" to see if he was FOS ...

he got the commission, and the rest was history.

as scott said, there is a lot of difference between doing renderings and line drawings and actually building something that exists ...

i always got a chuckle out of the emblem for " the school of mines " (architecture school before it was called architecture school)
    it is a golden shovel ... and, it suited frank lloyd wright well
    He was also lucky to be in the right place at the right time- there was an urgent need for architects and builders in Chicago at that time, when less than a decade before, there had been a great fire that wiped out huge swaths of downtown, thus a building boom was underway. Had there not been a boom requiring as many people as the firms could get their hands on, they might have bothered to check his references and we'd never have heard of Frank Lloyd Wright.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I work for a consulting firm and was recently on a conference with a client and one of my colleagues. The client asked me a question and I said that I wasn't sure and that I'd find out for him. After we rang off the colleague said that I should never admit that I don't know something. I'm supposed to be the expert.

It has, however, been my experience (I'm 25 years older than this guy) that the customer will respect you far more in the end if you admit you don't know something than if you BS your way through an answer.
    Jim

Shooter
    35mm
    BS? Just take a healthy look at the Republican party and also the Tea Party. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bad boy, David. I would think that such a comment would be beneath you in this forum. Take the high road and keep politics out of the conversation... please.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Well said. What really annoys me is when you ask a question to a someone working in a specific field and if they donít know the answer, so they make it up. If I am asked a question about something to do with photography and I donít know, I say I donít know, but I will try and find out. Why do some people feel belittled by not knowing everything about a specific subject?
    Was that your thought process during this thread?

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum41/1...-printing.html
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    35mm
    I will try to BrianShaw, but sometimes the paradigm of relevancy becomes subordinate to relevancy, itself. - David Lyga

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin