Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,908   Posts: 1,521,465   Online: 924

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    I don't know about the UK, but in the US I've heard any number of authoritative people spout utter nonsense on [insert topic] with a great degree of certainty......
    You must be talking about our politicians.

What's worse is deliberate misleading statements for ones own cause vs what's right for the majority, and outright lies.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    35mm
    Wayne, the problem is not with politicians but with the perception that they are made to have in that they MUST uphold the BS that is expected of them.

Simply listen to right-wing talk radio to get a sample of the BS that is EXPECTED by the public (in order to create a comforting world the does not exist, but SEEMS to exist in their fantasy). Just listening to the 'scam commercials' on such shows (geared to posture to the most naive amongst us) should be ample proof for what I say. - David Lyga
    Last edited by David Lyga; 04-18-2013 at 08:01 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3 View Post
    I work for a consulting firm and was recently on a conference with a client and one of my colleagues. The client asked me a question and I said that I wasn't sure and that I'd find out for him. After we rang off the colleague said that I should never admit that I don't know something. I'm supposed to be the expert.
    I also worked for a large consulting firm, and we were trained from Day 1 that if we weren't sure of the answer, we were to tell the client exactly what you told yours. Under no circumstances were we to ever "wing it", because wrong answers damage the firm's credibility. The only time anyone ever caught grief was if the question was something they were supposed to have been prepared to answer.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider View Post
    You must be talking about our politicians.
    e.g., the congresswoman who's helping to write gun laws but doesn't know that gun magazines are reloadable:

http://www.denverpost.com/politics/c...#ixzz2PVZ3cAlL

There aren't enough facepalms.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    No, before.
    Then why did you post "No, you need to get it right in the camera" when others clearly pointed out that, while not easy, it could be done at the printing stage?
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have always been a person who naturally tries to find things out and understand things. I often say what I think is true but with the caveat, "If that's not right, let's find out what IS right."

I expect other people to say whether they think my information or understanding is right or not. If not, we go find out. Find an encyclopedia, look it up in a dictionary, use Google, use Wikipedia, read a book or even make a phone call and ask somebody you trust.

I can't know everything but I can learn anything if I try. Learning is about the effort, not in the knowing.

My problem is that I find most people to be lazy. They don't want to take the effort to find things out. They want predigested, pat answers. They don't really want to know anything. They just want people to tell them things. They don't want to do the mental work.

There is a saying, "Men value most those things which come at a cost." I believe that, if something is worth knowing, it is worth working to learn about it.

My problem is not with people who say, "This is what I think but let's find out what is true." My problem is with people who are too lazy to find out what the truth is. My problem is with people who are don't want to learn but who spout off with bogus facts and who are either too stupid or unwilling to find out the truth. THAT is what I believe bullshit to be.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    “Those who know do not speak. Those who speak do not know.”

― Lao Tzu, Tao Teh Ching
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    “Those who know do not speak. Those who speak do not know.”

― Lao Tzu, Tao Teh Ching

i guess the bs has been flowing for eons

maybe it just seems more than 1 in ten people is FOS
    because now there are just more people ..

i'm really gullible, so no matter what someone says i tend to believe it..

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i'm really gullible, so no matter what someone says i tend to believe it..
    For some unknown reason, the word "gullible" is not in the dictionary.

Images
    The internet has made it very easy to an "expert". And forums have given these "experts" a venue. Unfortunately this spills over into the real world and they become irritating.

As a teacher I deal with it all the time. Fortunately you get used to ignoring it.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin