Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,985   Posts: 1,523,949   Online: 896

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Explosion of Bullshiters

I enjoy talking to people who are experts in their own particular field (not just photography). But is it just my own pessimistic view, or are there more people today who seem to bullshit their way through life (trying to give the impression that they know what they are talking about, but don’t). I seem to have noticed this increase start about 15 years ago. Perhaps this is just evident in the UK.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Some might say it's actually necessary for social mobility in this country.
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't know about the UK, but in the US I've heard any number of authoritative people spout utter nonsense on [insert topic] with a great degree of certainty. My favorite so far was when an instructor I know asserted to a class of college students that a certain well-known film company was "out of business" and that you could no longer buy film anywhere. Huh?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is a personality type, not confined to any specific national boundaries. At least these folks believe that they know enough to espouse a specific opinion, What is worse are "yes men" who agree with anything someone else says if doing so gets them advancement.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    maybe, cliveh
    i think there have always been people like that
    its now it is easier to take notice in them ... seeing
    everyone on the internet is an authority on every subject.

after all frank lloyd wright totally lied like a rug
    to get his first clients and that was between ww2 and ww1 ...
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, are you talking about BS'ing in person? Certainly the rise of the internet, and forums like this one, enable people to BS more or less anonymously. And that may carry over to in person interactions ("no one contradicts me online, so I should be able to do so face to face").

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    ...its now it is easier to take notice in them ... seeing
    everyone on the internet is an authority on every subject. ...
    What internet site did you read that on?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Merritt View Post
    Well, are you talking about BS'ing in person? Certainly the rise of the internet, and forums like this one, enable people to BS more or less anonymously. And that may carry over to in person interactions ("no one contradicts me online, so I should be able to do so face to face").
    My OP was not aimed at anyone on this forum, but just people in general.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    My OP was not aimed at anyone on this forum, but just people in general.
    But he asks a reasonable question. I see it more on the internet just like everyone else, but have seen a rise in that same technique in person. And when the BS is contradicted with data/evidence to the contrary, I see a rise in the number of bullying demands "not to embarass" the bulls@tter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    after all frank lloyd wright totally lied like a rug
    to get his first clients and that was between ww2 and ww1 ...
    Assuming you don't have a portfolio of masterpieces at 21, in any field, you obviously have to sell more than you have to get going. Which might explain why cliveh sees it as rife in the UK - it's almost imperative when our national motto is 'no experience, no job, no job, no experience'.

I think bullshitting is definitely subjective though - perhaps most detested by sensitive introverts and most successful when dealing with extroverted egomaniacs, i.e those who can share the wealth. Isn't it a game? In which case you don't have to be an arsehole to bullshit.
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin