Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,419   Online: 1025

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I meant Lightjet prints. The more appropriate term might have been 'C-type'. Sorry. To confuse matters even more, there are Lambda and Lambda C-types.

I've only ever had a 'C-type' made.
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    plus 2

C print-Colour Print- RA 4 Print- Dye Coupler Print . all the same

whether by enlarger or Laser or LED.

Quote Originally Posted by frotog View Post
    If their prints are less than sharp, this has nothing to do with whether or not they were exposed optically or digitally. Anyone working with laser light or led exposures knows that resolution is not the weak point of this process.

Furthermore, if one were to compare a traditional c-print to a digital c-print that was matched by a skilled operator they would have a very difficult time distinguishing one from the other let alone identifying which was the analogue print and which was the digital print.

I believe the letdown you experienced has more to do with the glut of large c-prints and the dumbing down of content - two negative aspects of the current marketplace mentality of contemporary photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    I meant Lightjet prints. The more appropriate term might have been 'C-type'. Sorry. To confuse matters even more, there are Lambda and Lambda C-types.

I've only ever had a 'C-type' made.
    Hum. I can't tell the difference between a good Lightjet print and a good optical print. Either can be screwed up, of course.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Perhaps I am in the minority, but I have seen Burtynsky's work up close and was blown away by the quality of the print.

Further, I went to an Adams exhibit and while the content didn't thrill me, the printing was outstanding.
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    the problem is there is so much HYPE about everything that when you actually see it in "real life"
    it doesn't seem like it should. i remember seeing the mona lisa at the louvre when i was a high school student
    and while i didn't mind having to stand back behind the rope &c it just didn't have the presence that it had
    later on when i studied renaissance painting and da vinci's work.
    In some cases this can be true. But a couple of years ago I was privileged to view an exhibition of Yousef Karsh portraits. I was in a state of reverential awe as I moved from one to another. Maybe it was partly due to the places in history the subjects occupied: Ernest Hemingway, Ingrid Bergman (the most beautiful photograph of a woman I have ever seen), Winston Churchill. But I think it was more due to Karsh's mastery of composition and pose and lighting. Those photographs certainly had presence for me.

And, living in the same city as the O. Winston Link museum I can go look at his work whenever I like. I am always impressed by the impact that his prints have on me.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by desertratt View Post
    I was not impressed when I saw the Rocky Mountains for the first time.Tthey did not look very magestic. I was unimpressed by the Pacific Ocean, the first ocean I had ever seen. It just sat there. I was disappointed by the skyscrapers in New York City until I went to Wall Street. The streeets are so narrow there the skyscrapers look impressive. Ya think the problem is me, not those objects?
    Neither, it was the lighting. All those things require a sunset to look good!
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    Why are they compromising (technologically) with their prints? How will they hold up to posterity...
    Maybe they should just be held up to posterior.

Look, I have this same argument with myself at least every other month, and I never win. Some of the 5x7 greeting cards I have had made with inkjet processes appear to me to better in some visual regard than the finished fine art GSP's they were scanned from, or they're larger siblings. They're just not the same beast, anymore than a Daguerreotype is a GSP. Photography has moved on, and digital printing processes are only one more, albeit the latest, way to present an image in tangible form. Successful photographers adjust and grow with the times, or else starve (and/or die). Me? I'm just an uncompromising, starving and dying, anachronistic silver printer. OTOH, I just watched a webinar on printing digital B/W and had to laugh, at myself, when nearing the end the presenter suggested using a software film grain filter to give the piece that "film" look . So don't get your bats all in a twist over it.
    Last edited by ROL; 04-20-2013 at 07:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You know where I've seen some pretty good stuff?--Right here on this site by some of you people. Sure has been inspiring in my attempt to get in gear and get back to doing some photography.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by HTF III View Post
    You know where I've seen some pretty good stuff?--Right here on this site by some of you people. Sure has been inspiring in my attempt to get in gear and get back to doing some photography.

You haven't understood a thing. You've seen NO photographic prints on this site.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've seen enough to be motivated and get busy. Some of you people do way better work than anything I've done, computer monitor nothwithstanding.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin