Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,957   Posts: 1,522,973   Online: 1158

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OP, you must quickly stop to learn caring who wins photo contests and their styles.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    OP, you must quickly stop to learn caring who wins photo contests and their styles.
    Op needs to stop trolling.
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks like I've been resoundingly thrashed on this one, huh? Oh well.As for me, I'll keep on using my film and not mix it with a computer. Maybe it's because I've got to put my label jobs together on a computer before making the plates. And regular photography is where I can make pictures and stay away from the blasted computer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HTF III View Post
    Looks like I've been resoundingly thrashed on this one, huh? Oh well.As for me, I'll keep on using my film and not mix it with a computer. Maybe it's because I've got to put my label jobs together on a computer before making the plates. And regular photography is where I can make pictures and stay away from the blasted computer.
    I agree with you, HTF. And with Darko.

I think the journalist's "creed" is that any manipulation should be to help the photo better reflect what is actually there.

And the chief gripe you're making is that photoshop has been used to make photos that are, whatever — pretty, I guess — but don't actually reflect what was there.

As someone said, these are not journalists and likely don't give two boots about the ethics of photography.

It's very, very simliar to karaoke night at ye olde pub.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My major concern with the Sony Award is plagiarism, especially the Australian Waterpolo Team pose during an Australian 2012 Olympic Games portrait session. This image smacks of [Australian photographer] Max Dupain's work at Bondi decades ago. There are some very good images worthy of attention. The surrealist depiction of The Matterhorn is not a product of Photoshop, but a product of chance and preparedness. In the right conditions this is as real as an aurora at that altitude and relatively easy to photograph. A high ISO (4000-6000) and 30 second Tv is all that is needed, and many alpinists come away with much the same image.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    I agree with JNanian. I've starter running my color scans through lightroom.

After first spending so much time on APUG, i was extremely reluctant to do this at the least.
    But I found, that by using the simple tools provided, I was able to create a better image.
    Now, maybe i'm conservative with any "modifications" I do to the images.
    But in the end, the image content is king, and by going completely hybrid for my LF color neg work, It gives me a better image overall.
    And in the end, that's all that matters, to me. Sure, some over-do it, but this high-falutent sense of purity only goes so far, when your perfect pure photograph is of a damn rock and a stick or a tree.
    However some of the photographs no longer reflect reality on planet Earth. That is the point of the OP. If one is offended because they also invent reality, the problem is really in them. The OP did not complain about touchups.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    burning and dodging in the darkroom
    and dodging while exposing
    using slow or fast shutter speeds
    or fast / slow films
    apertures
    developing the film ( or paper negative or glass plate &c)
    a certain way ... in a certain developer because it may do something
    "extra special" ( or not )
    toning bleaching

... its all manipulation

who cares what awards are given out for mastery of their process ...
    its a process just as much as the traditional ones ...
    Couldn't agree more. Not worth getting one 's knickers in a knot over.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    Couldn't agree more. Not worth getting one 's knickers in a knot over.
    +1
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Do you use a lens which has more contrast than others? You're manipulating reality. Do you choose a certain film for it's colour, tonality, sharpness? Yep, thought so.

They're all just tools, use the ones that appeal to your target audience. No one's wrong here.

All photography, all paintings, all sculpture is manipulated reality.

Every time a person creates/or puts forth an art creation he is using it to reflect the world as he sees it or wants others to see it.

There is no such thing as reality.

There is only your reality and my reality and 8 billion other realities.

The fun/joy/emotion in seeing "art" is to experience other people's realities.

And seriously, thinking analog photography is somehow pure is just nonsense.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin