Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,828   Posts: 1,582,094   Online: 933

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Analogue ecological impact.

My wife and I are house-sitting in a small Canadian town, and we met one of the neighbours, who turns out to be an avid photographer while walking the dog.
    When he found out I still shoot mostly film, he trotted out a number of reasons why this wasn't a good idea. The last one, was that he was concerned about the environmental impact of analogue, and felt much better shooting digitally. He also said he has over 30,000 images on file, and has to buy a better, (his third), laptop. That seems kinda polluting to me, but, the best was when I was out for a walk the next day and passed him digging in his garden. I stopped for a chat, and spied a huge pickup truck and a matching gigantic house trailer in the driveway. I asked if he had visitors and it turns out that no, that's their home-away-from-home which they take to Arizona every winter.
    From where we are to Arizona is a five day drive, at probably 10 miles per gallon, if that. Never mind the building of these behemoths and the servicing.
    But by jove, my shooting analogue is a bad thing for the environment. I didn't bother to say anything, because he probably wouldn't have understood anyway.
    It's a funny old world.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hdeyong View Post
    My wife and I are house-sitting in a small Canadian town, and we met one of the neighbours, who turns out to be an avid photographer while walking the dog.
    Also, how strange to be such a keen photographer when walking the dog. Does the dog provide tips on composition and exposure?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The manufacture of digital products has a very negative impact on the environment. It uses Mercury, Arsenic, Cadmium and a host of other chemicals that analog stopped using years ago. The photo chemicals used in processing are quite benign and are easily biodegraded in sunlight or sewage treatment.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You're right PE. The digital photographers that constantly upgrading has a greater impact than photographers buying used gear.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    The manufacture of digital products has a very negative impact on the environment. It uses Mercury, Arsenic, Cadmium and a host of other chemicals that analog stopped using years ago. The photo chemicals used in processing are quite benign and are easily biodegraded in sunlight or sewage treatment.

PE
    Heh, I work in the computer chip industry and the ones PE listed are the nicer ones.
    Things come to mind are hydrofluoric acid, and the best one is TMAH. It is considered a safer alternative than other chemicals, but a small spill on the skin dissolves it instantly and causes serious burns. But that's nothing! It gets quickly absorbed into the blood stream and causes permanent and irreversible damage to the nervous system and death. It is used by the barrelfulls to make camera sensors and chips. Compared to that photographic chemicals are totally benign, and most of them are used as food additives anyway...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shooter
    35mm
    You all mentioned very good points. We could ad that a lot of us do mix their own chemicals on precise measure for the need of the moment, with less packages and minimal waste.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post

PE
    +1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Apart from film spools backing paper and chemistry everything else gets re-ued (120 backing paper and packaging gets recycled). I use film boxes (I mainly shoot LF) for packaging. paper boxes for storing prints, commercial chemistry bottles get re-used (I don't buy much) my newest analogue camera is a Pentax MX or maybe my Wista. Forgot the chinese 6x17 camera bought 6 years ago but it's built like a tanks so should last 100+ years.

Some of the cameras I use are at least 50 years old, some 100+, same with lenses, there's no obsolescence. Enlargers last for decades and I'm about to restore a 100 year old Ensign (Houightons) enlarger to use as well.

Printers go obsolete before they waer out because newer OS's son't support them wit drivers. Digital cameras have a finite shuitter count and are poorly built compared to 1970/80s cameras. Printer cartridges aren't recycleable - they could be, laser cartridges are. Laptops have a 3 year life (on average) they wear out, PC's can last longer and are upgradeable. All these thinhgs come over packaged as well. So the waste from Digital is far worse.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    And americans fill the 40 foot containers with these old laptops and monitors and send to africa as a education gift. US used thousand of depleted uranium filled bombs at irag and cancer count increased 250 times or more. And americans collect japanese garbage from earthquake at pasific coast and send to international monitoring services. And the contaminated and mine filled South east asia.

Contradictions and brain washed public.

Shooter
    35mm
    Today it's impossible to harm the environment by shooting film simply because we just don't have enough film to do any appreciable amount of harm.

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin