Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,690   Posts: 1,548,823   Online: 1045

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Geelong & Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not very imaginative or original at all. Nothing new to see. Move on.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I am enlightened.. "The Hungry I" was still there when the photo was taken. Long Long ago we dropped in for folk muic and visiting headliners. (long long is 44 years about now)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    Very well put, but don't agree that it 'diminishes the standard of what defines great photography'. For anyone who has had an eye opening adventure through photography, from rock bottom (Flickr at the start for me) to thoughtful and critically revered contemporary and classical work - i.e. 'the canon' - there is a reasoned perspective gained, which is: there is a huge gulf between this kind of naive work and 'great photography'. Completely different spheres, which, all said and done, do not influence each other. Despite what many contemporary photography commentators say, there really is no need for any reactionary movement against the prolific output of these people, because they attract different audiences, and rightfully so. It really is just a case of live and let live. If you're eating in a restaurant, does it have any baring on you that someone else in the world is at Burger King?

Back to the sentiment of my last post however, even by the standards of the 'photo sharing sphere', this is terrible photography . The 24 hour thing is like a lure for keeping a certain type of photography enthusiast perpetually ignorant to important conceptual work (which doesn't mean what you think it does, benjiboy). But when we're talking about other people's ignorance, it eventually becomes a political debate. For the sake of the integrity of this community and its newcomers, ignore shit like this and read any number of history of photography books, lend or buy monographs and go to exhibitions if at all possible.

APUG really needs a reading list sticky thread.
    Exactly right. Exhibitions and monographs are never shit.

As for the reading list sticky, I can't wait to see how much shit gets put there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gleaf View Post
    I am enlightened.. "The Hungry I" was still there when the photo was taken. Long Long ago we dropped in for folk muic and visiting headliners. (long long is 44 years about now)
    Assuming this isn't a sarcastic post, that is the point of this kind of photograph. And this type of response to a picture validates it just fine. They are simple documents of place and time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose View Post
    Wow! So many attitudes!! Who do you guys think you are anyway? Taken a look at the APUG gallery recently? Talk about tired genres. I'm guilty of it too, but then again I don't get on my high horse and shout down others. Well most of the time anyway Nervous breakdown with a camera, bad photographer?? What is APUG the "cool people table" in high school? Sure sounds like it.
    Right on.

What I don't understand is why anti digital people are cruising PetaPixel.

Is it so they can make posts saying that digital sucks.

As for the photographer he calls himself a photography enthusiast as are many on this site.

So why the anger. His project didn't really work but at least he's out shooting.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post

Is it so they can make post saying that digital sucks.

As for the photographer he calls himself a photography enthusiast as are many on this site.

So why the anger. His project didn't really work but at least he's out shooting.
    You know something? You're right. At least he's shooting and I'm not. Not really. Where I live everything is a gasoline expenditure. That racks up some big bills quick, and I just don't have it. So yeah, I'll hand him that. At least he's not letting a camera becoming A knick-knack on the furniture. Cameras that don't get used annoy me lying around.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thanks for the link OP. Love when somone comes up with a project and executes it! Happy the photographer who did this series did it. I am sure he learned something about himself and the people in his community. I am sure this experience will help him grow (artistically, technically, locationally, etc, etc) and appreciate the community he lives is. Love when I am reminded about the passage of time using photography as a vignette like this as opposed a stark frozen moment....

Get out there and find your vision...maybe in a year the photog will look at this series in a different light and improve upon....lessons learned...etc....all's good here.....glad folks are getting out there and photographing......back in the day only those in lab coats were able to feed their punchcard programs into the big mainframe and see if it worked, today we can write our own code at home and run it own our own computers, upload it, sell it....make big money.......errrrr wrong thread.....but you get my point
    Andy

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    To add one more asside to my above post, one of the folks I admire, Bill Schwab, spoke at a Apug meetup last summer and he said to, "Get out there, photograph, get to know your community....". I believe this photog in question is living those virtues, how on earth can I judge the success of his work? This might be the 1st of a life long body of work....

It's bad sentiment that artists hear over and over that makes some hide their art for fear of the jury (just think of the fear Maier had of folks seeing, judging her work).....
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post

Is it so they can make posts saying that digital sucks.
    I don't see any reference to digital in the original post.

Is the original poster indeed anti-digital? Or is that an assumption?
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin