Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,682   Posts: 1,482,229   Online: 1093

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Isn't this a tired genre?

24 hours of what ever is becoming very tired and hackneyed. Is it just me?

http://petapixel.com/2013/06/02/shoo...t/#more-113087
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post

Yes..and the whole point of that is? There is life in SF? Because from a photographic standpoint, for me, it's just utter crap.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by desertratt View Post
    Point number two -- "tired genre" like 8x10 photographs and pictures in Life Magazine and snaps of yet another wedding?
    Yeah, that too

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That is terrible photography.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Yes.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Makes me glad I don't live in San Francisco. But then I was already glad of that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusM3 View Post
    Yes..and the whole point of that is? There is life in SF? Because from a photographic standpoint, for me, it's just utter crap.
    Hear, hear.

There's that same thing going on with bicycle racing, now, too. "24 hours in Old Pueblo" "The Oregon 24" etcetera

I think you're commenting on the concept as being hackneyed, and I agree. Especially in terms of photography because good photos usually take between 1/30 and 1/1250th of a second (note that these are hand-held times for a Contax and feel free to judge me for it) The point is that it can take 24 hours or it can take a fraction of a second and it doesn't really matter how you compartmentalize.

This is a generation used to image and info bombardment. Shaping picture-taking into 24 hour compartments seems to me to be a gimmick aimed at the lethargic souls whose creativity is already stifled by regurgitating images shotgun style with modern ease and efficiency. So ya, it's hackneyed IMHO.
    Last edited by pstake; 06-03-2013 at 01:12 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: grammar (As usual)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Didn't Rick Smolan started it? Anyway, it was all shot on film back then and I'm sure the there's a huge difference in the work in comparison to digital work. Photographers then were limited to only 36 shots before reloading, the film had to be processed and the photo editors had to shift through piles of chromes to find that photographic gem. It's a different game now.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Didn't Rick Smolan started it? Anyway, it was all shot on film back then and I'm sure the there's a huge difference in the work in comparison to digital work. Photographers then were limited to only 36 shots before reloading, the film had to be processed and the photo editors had to shift through piles of chromes to find that photographic gem. It's a different game now.
    Now it is simply sensory overload. Today, everyone with $500 and an internet connection is a "professional" photographer. Life is constantly recorded and paraded around the net, non stop. What makes any of it special? Well, pretty much nothing. In all fairness, there was much of that in the past as well, on film, but it got thrown in boxes and stored in the attic. Once in a while you get a Vivian Maier...and 99.9999% of the time, you don't. Fortunately, for those who understand photography, there is a lot more than just triggering a shutter to record life, to be able to craft a successful image that engages the viewer and has value.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What's the criticism, exactly? The idea is tired or the execution sucks?

I don't know. While it may not be great photography, isn't everything tired? And hasn't it always been? How about flowers are tired? How about lith is tired? How about all that wet plate crap is tired? How about all the boring HCB rip off snapshot images are tired? Exhausted, actually. Waterfalls, portraiture, trees, red filter skies, cliffs, silos, bridges, star trails, Vivian Maier and on and on and on. There's nothing wrong about slice-of-life pictures. This is just another anti-digital thread.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin