Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,816   Posts: 1,581,630   Online: 764

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    And, David Lyga, you're the only one playing Devil's advocate

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Over time, I have bought a few used cameras and gear. I have paid high prices for some used gear when the item was in good shape. But usually I would buy "user" grade gear at camera shows in order to "get a feel" for whether a particular "type" of camera would be a good fit for me. Doesn't make sense to me to spend full price for a top-quality camera, if I am just experimenting to see if it will work for me.

That's how I ended up with Linda Zackelfoose's Rollei 35 with stripped internal rail for $60 at a camera show. The seller didn't tell me the rails were stripped, and I kind of lost out on that deal because with stripped rails, a Rollei 35 might have been worth $40.

I have learned from lessons like this to be wary at camera shows. Most of the gear I have encountered at low prices, tended to have internal flaws that drove the original owner crazy so he/she wanted to get rid of it.

Another thing that came of this is I learned a bit about camera repair. If the price is low enough, the risk to digging in and trying to fix it, just isn't that great. Finding the internal workings have "already been visited by an amateur" doesn't concern me much if the transaction was quick and I didn't ask many questions (if the price was low).

But I also have bought used cameras at other venues, thrift stores, garage sales. Here, I have often been delighted by my findings. Often the camera comes with a bit of dingy dust, but "rag and towel" is all I do. Often the internals have never been touched! These are most enjoyable to discover because if I am careful, I can restore the item to almost good as new.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    David - If you are going to propose a theoretical question don't make it personal. What you have done is personally tied your theoretical question to you in the same breath. What you have then done by doing this is made anyone who disagrees with you "impeached" for saying you are X.

I refuse to judge you based on your feelings to the orig matter.

Again, as with the 35mm Film Is So Wasteful thread, you chose to propose paradoxical or statements that entrap the responder, I once said that you suggest statements of Rhetorical Tautology:

A rhetorical tautology is defined as a series of statements that form an argument, whereby the statements are constructed in such a way that the truth of the proposition is guaranteed or that, by defining a dissimilar or synonymous term in terms of another self-referentially, the truth of the proposition or explanation cannot be disputed. Consequently, the statement conveys no useful information regardless of its length or complexity making it unfalsifiable.
    Per
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tautology_(rhetoric)

I am not sure if that is what is going on here but refuse to get ensnared and chose to ascert my 5th Ammendment Right
    Andy

Shooter
    35mm
    Absolutey no ill will intended, ambaker. I just wanted to orient my self-appraisal and parse the issue privately! I was thinking aloud.

(This is the only place where you can get free shrink service.) - David Lyga

Shooter
    35mm
    zsas: you found a bit of the Socrates in me with my most devious methods of enquiry! You are both correct and incorrect. But I still will not drink the Hemlock. Psst! the rhetorical tautology is my safety factor, my persecution complex manifest from being beaten up so many times by the schoolyard bullies! I FORCE people to come to certain conclusions (and find out later that nothing significant was said!) My sin to mankind.

Bill Burke: I am so wary at camera shows that I am unaware of such wariness. This feeling is, at this point, inherent. I ASSUME that there are always problems and, like a fish that is a 'bottom feeder' I scrounge for the 'junk' that can be fixed. I am usually highly delighted and NEVER pay more than I think that I could get with not much trouble. The trouble is that I cannot bear to get rid of much. It is, in a way, a genuine sickness but at least I am never tempted to buy unless very, very cheap. There ARE dealers who want to get rid of stuff and I routinely tell them that I am willing to steal from you as long as such 'theft' is not illegal. But Bill, please don't say, simply, "rag and towel". Instead say DAMP rag and towel: that slight wetness does a hell of a lot to remove that grimy dust, permanently.

Truzi really reads me the best, though. This individual has actually succeeded in getting inside of my head (not that anyone would WANT to!) - - David Lyga
    Last edited by David Lyga; 06-14-2013 at 05:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Hi David - I work too hard to come to this site to be spun by your questions. I've been in many of your rabbit holes that seem to promise riches (wisdom) but come away feeling tricked. I've found most of your Philosophy/Ethics discussions too hard to take anymore for the reasons discussed above; though your Hepburn post was nothing short of brilliant. Please go back to that "Hepburn-state" of writing, you've a lot to give, though sadly the majority of your Ethics/Philosophy postings follow this pattern. I wish you the best in your artistic persuits!
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wasn't thinking Socrates, more along the line of Megillos from Laws.
    Truzi

Shooter
    35mm
    zsas (et al): I take your cautionary words to be both prescient and 'present'. I shall think hard about mending my ways. - David Lyga

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin