Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,960   Posts: 1,558,280   Online: 922

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hope not the Hatfields vs. McCoys...
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    from what i understand borax can be replace sodium metaborate in some formulas even though it is sodium tetaborate
    ( in d-23 for example ) and i think ( correct me if i am wrong ) the film developing cookbook says this ..
    The pH produced by sodium tetraborate (borax) and sodium metaborate (Kodalk) are quite different and one cannot be substituted for the other. Borax is a mild alkali while sodium metaborate is almost a alkaline as sodium carbonate. If the FDC says that they are interchangeable then this is another error in a poorly edited book. Borate chemistry is rather complex and the naming can be quite confusing.

Years ago I contacted US Borax about the purity of Twenty Mule Team borax. It is more than pure enough for photo purposes. The principle impurity is a very small amount of sodium chloride.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Truzi View Post
    But doesn't Palmolive soften your hands while you do your film?

I'd heard the dish-soap thing before from someone working in a photo store. He told me only use it in a "pinch" (if you really really have to and can't get the correct stuff), and that with proper technique surfactant probably isn't even needed.
    not so sure i would recommend that at all
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/6...-photoflo.html
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/2...tml#post249242

it leaves soap scum ..

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    jnanian, you are missing the point that I have been making. If I were to recommend Clorox bleach replace the bleach for C-41 processing, would you have worked so hard to get around the point?

nope i would agree with you 100% ..
    but you used photoflo ( which i agreed with you 100% ) and
    borax ( which can be used successfully ) ..

my point is that there are things that can be used with no ill affect
    if they are not photo grade or pharma grade or just sold off the shelf
    at abc-mart.

but i do agree with you .. there are a lot of foolish people who do foolish things.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    The pH produced by sodium tetraborate (borax) and sodium metaborate (Kodalk) are quite different and one cannot be substituted for the other. Borax is a mild alkali while sodium metaborate is almost a alkaline as sodium carbonate. If the FDC says that they are interchangeable then this is another error in a poorly edited book. Borate chemistry is rather complex and the naming can be quite confusing.

Years ago I contacted US Borax about the purity of Twenty Mule Team borax. It is more than pure enough for photo purposes. The principle impurity is a very small amount of sodium chloride.
    thanks gerald

i was going by what is quoted here:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...1-Borax-Kodalk

that in some instances it can be a useful substitute.
    i don't have any borax, or kodalk, only metabrate ..
    so i really can't say if it works or is absolutely foolhardy.

i haven't made divided d-23 yet ( which is what i got the metaborate for in the first place )
    so i can't even make a comparison between the original recipe and the one Anchell & Troop's Film Developing Cookbook
    suggest can be done instead with borax ...

but i agree with a lot of what you ( and steve ) have said
    that people do foolish things to save a few cents, and often times in the end it is a waste of time and money and energy.
    Last edited by jnanian; 06-16-2013 at 07:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin