Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,388   Online: 1104

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Tight Skates and Cheap Wads

In a classic installment of I Love Lucy, Ricky gets so angry with Lucy that he mutilates the expressions cheap skate and tight wad. Which brings me to the reason for this post.

I really can't understand how people can risk their photographs by cutting corners. Usually it is not a matter of cost but a warped mindset that they have beaten the system. It can be trying to get that 37th exposure or dilution of developer or fixer beyond the manufacturers recommendations or using old and very fogged film. There are many other examples. Quite frankly I can't understand how they justify their actions. There is a difference in being frugal and being cheap.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 06-15-2013 at 10:38 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with you Gerald, I also can't understand why people spend money on compulsively buying more and more crap cameras instead of having a few good ones and spending the money they pay for the crap ones on having the good ones serviced occasionally.
    Ben

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I agree with you Gerald, I also can't understand why people spend money on compulsively buying more and more crap cameras instead of having a few good ones and spending the money they pay for the crap ones on having the good ones serviced occasionally.
    +1

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hey you kids, get off my lawn!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    ... I also can't understand why people spend money on compulsively buying more and more crap cameras ...
    What's a crap camera?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    In the last few years I’ve noticed quite a few people using a DSLR with the lens hood back to front on the end of the lens. Perhaps all the DSLR users I’ve seen doing this are doing it intentionally. But this does seem a shame, when it would only take a few seconds to reverse it.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    This should be a good one

I take the dissent.

Below's my two most favorite cameras in all the world!!!

One cost more than even mentioning.....the other, well, I keep its price tag on the back to remind me......

What? Well way before Ball's time was a great poet, William Cowper who said:
    “Variety's the very spice of life, that gives it all it's flavour.”

My favs:

Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The "Tight Skates and Cheap Wads" that I've had the most experience with are "young" in the craft or "just testing the water". They simply haven't had the oh-shit moments of screwing up something important and or come to the decision that film photography is really that important.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    In addition to my post above, I'm classically trained (b/w and color in college), yet there are no words to describe the felling of photographing the energy and feeling of a snowball fight with a $0.50 plastic P&S while the snow is coming down (think we gotta foot that day)......

I take it out in the rain, snow, wherever, sometimes with expired film that someone gave me (*aghast*)....I know "better".....but really folks? Why takes sides here....so long as we are creating art, why create a black and white view of the world....
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For important things I use fresh film and developer, so basically I agree. If I shoot that 37th exposure, it's never important (but since it might be there, I find something to shoot, just not something important - doesn't cost any more to get that half-picture of a rock).

I have to admit I do the "cheap" thing sometimes. For example, I recently acquired a Bronica GS-1 - my first MF (excluding an Holga). It is a totally different animal than what I am used to (Sears KS-2/Ricoh XR7) - so I've mostly used expired film (4:1 ratio). When I feel comfortable with it I will not "cheap out."

When testing for light leaks, or testing an old camera I fixed myself, why not go cheap. I can tell the difference between bad film/developer and a light leak or bad shutter/lens. I certainly can't tell the finer and even moderate details that most on this board can, but enough for my purposes.
    I'll also be "cheap" when experimenting or just having fun.

For important things, however, I spend the money.
    Truzi

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin