Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,995   Posts: 1,524,279   Online: 852

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

One camera, one lens...

I'll be travelling in August and to partially fund the trip, I now have no choice but to sell two of my cameras. This means I will only have one camera and one lens - which I'll be taking with me
    It feels pretty audacious, but the truth is, I haven't used either of the other two for probably close to a year.

We only have one camera when we start out of course, but has anyone else on APUG ever been in a one camera position as 'serious' hobbyists/artists/professionals? Was it financially motivated or to encourage a more disciplined approach to your photography?

Also, am I mad?
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Absolutely, is there any better way - M2 and 50mm 1.4 Summilux.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    When I've used one camera and one lens (Rolleiflex in my case), this really helped me keeping focused on what was important, and this is when I got my best results.

There was no driver other than technical necessity at the beginning (I could not afford keeping care of two cameras in the workshop environment), but soon I discovered it was more a relief than a constraint.
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    When I've used one camera and one lens (Rolleiflex in my case), this really helped me keeping focused on what was important, and this is when I got my best results.
    Technically, isn't that one camera and two lenses
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    I made a one-month, 7,000-mile cross-country train and bus trip once, from the US east coast to the west and back, with nothing but an Olympus Stylus Epic and a dozen rolls of film. The main motivation was space: I made the entire trip with just a single large backpack (the only other camera I owned at the time was a Calumet 4x5). I truly enjoyed being just another tourist with a camera, instead of being "Mr. Serious Photographer." I got nice photographs, too.

Shooter
    35mm
    What are you selling?

Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    I'll be travelling in August and to partially fund the trip, I now have no choice but to sell two of my cameras. This means I will only have one camera and one lens - which I'll be taking with me
    It feels pretty audacious, but the truth is, I haven't used either of the other two for probably close to a year.

We only have one camera when we start out of course, but has anyone else on APUG ever been in a one camera position as 'serious' hobbyists/artists/professionals? Was it financially motivated or to encourage a more disciplined approach to your photography?

Also, am I mad?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    if i could sell everything off of mine
    and just use one camera and one lens
    i would in a heartbeat !

no, you aren't crazy, you are pretty smart ..
    equipment tends to be a distraction,
    the more equipment the more of a distraction.

not sure what camera and lens you are keeping,
    but i am sure whichever one you save, it will work fine/

have fun on your travels !

john
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    90% of my trips are with one camera (leica or nikon) with 50mm, and one small cheap rangefinder (olympus mju, RC35 or something) as backup body.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't be able to do that on an important trip or vacation. I always need at least 2 bodies that can handle the same lenses in case one broke. Its also convenient if you are shooting two different types of films, or want to go between different focal lengths without lens swapping.

But for everyday, and simple photo walks, sure one camera one lens is perfect. Today I headed out to Governors Island and went at it with a Bessa R and the 52mm 2.8 Industar I wanted to test.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    iPhone.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin