Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,916   Posts: 1,584,715   Online: 822

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    But this is a photography forum.
    No comments.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    99% of good photography is not about photography. It's about perception. The easiest part of making a great image is clicking the shutter. With all this cool wiz bang technology that can focus, expose and process images for us, knowing how to see is the most important endeavor of being a photographer today.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Must be something in the APUG water supply lately. Not as inspiring as the Salgado TED talk, but she does make some valid points which we can either interpret technically or philosophically when we apply them to our photography.

Thanks for sharing, Thomas.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    This was great Thomas! Thanks for the share, great way to have started my day!
    Andy

Great metaphor and nice presentation.

Look for the light is probably a better mantra and mindset than " don't let the fuckers get you down."
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just re-watched this, and found that I still like her outlook and way of looking at things. I think our photography largely reflects who we are as people, at least if we are intuitive about it and go by our emotions and instincts when we do our work.
    For me most scenes are completely transformed by light; for many years I've photographed either at night or in soft morning/evening light. Lately I've started liking direct sunlight a lot for certain things, and the stark contrast it can create. It makes a world of difference to look at the light, to study it, and to use it to our advantage. Seems important to me.

If we apply that to life in general as well, a metaphor like blansky names it, it could make for a more positive and rewarding way of leading our lives, to look for the good where we can.
    Conversely, contrast is important, and in order to recognize something good, we have to know what 'bad' is too, but I think we automatically get so much of that anyway that we don't have to try to find it. The more we practice, the better we become at seeing the 'good', just as we get better at anything we practice a lot.

All marketers, political types, and those disturbing assholes in media that desperately seek attention all know that base emotions like fear and hate and jealousy sell.

Our job if we wish to live a happy fulfilling life is to filter out the poison and ignore or neutralize it.

This is a full time job because marketing and media are everywhere 24/7, so a positive mantra is important to keep us centered.

"Look for the light" is as good as any, but there are lots of them.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    **Yes I will have another one please**, is one of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    All marketers, political types, and those disturbing assholes in media that desperately seek attention all know that base emotions like fear and hate and jealousy sell.

Our job if we wish to live a happy fulfilling life is to filter out the poison and ignore or neutralize it.

This is a full time job because marketing and media are everywhere 24/7, so a positive mantra is important to keep us centered.

"Look for the light" is as good as any, but there are lots of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    **Yes I will have another one please**, is one of mine.
    Excellent. I do that once in a while too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Light could be a metaphor for God. I think there was a little of that in her presentation.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin