Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,546   Posts: 1,572,964   Online: 1026

Page 10 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151620 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Noble View Post
    That is your choice. I wasn't trying to command anyone to shoot in any particular way. What I was commenting on is if you want to stalk and photograph a stranger's children without so much as a hello or introduction you have to expect that eventually you will run into someone who objects. And given enough time you will come across someone who objects in an inappropriate way. It is just hyperbolic to claim such a situation is illustrative of some kind of downward spiral of urban society and that it makes you physically ill. Play the game any way you want but when you throw snake eyes don't complain.

I shoot suriptiously sometimes. I don't do it with children. But I know if I am caught someone might object. That's just part of the game.
    Sure, it is like stalking game. We enjoy the hunt. Weegee wrote about that. We just don't intend to hurt / kill as the real hunter does. But we all have the same excitement getting a nice shot, freezing time, etc. The non photog maybe does not realize this. If they did, they would not think much about what we do. Just as we usually don't when we see another devotee of the camera.

But it can turn out ugly. I read one gal got killed in Hollywood for shooting a beggar. A fight errupted when she would not pay for her cell phone photo and she got stabbed. But as I read more about it, it seemd her mouth may have been a big factor, more so than not paying 50 cents. But I don't have all the facts.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...-fame/2439811/

If someone is worried about street, they should ask first or do some other form of freezing time. No one is arguing that every situation is different and trouble can errupt. If and when your not comfortable, don't do it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Iluvmycam View Post
    Sure, this is part of the success of street. Don't get too crazy and dnagerous for just one shot. Just move or or wait. Another shot will come up in short order. Don't kill yourself over any one shot.
    hi there,
    i'm well aware what street photography is, and i have worked as a photojournalist in a past life ...
    ( and have done some sort of documentary work for about 32 years )
    sorry, the OP said he continued to photograph after he was basically told to stop,
    not one shot + wait for another, but he took handfulls --- he hounded them ...
    people who act like jerks get what they deserve. sorry ...
    Last edited by jnanian; 07-07-2013 at 10:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    The given description was "My attire today was brown walking boots, dark blue jeans and a black 'Motorhead' tour T-Shirt." Is that how a "legitimate photographer" dresses? Different folks will feel differently about this 'look'.
    Is that how a pervert dresses?

... and would a "legitimate photographer" take relatively close up photos of a child without asking the parent?
    Cartier-Bresson was not legitimate?
    Last edited by lxdude; 07-07-2013 at 11:11 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    sorry, the OP said he continued to photograph after he was basically told to stop,
    people who are jerks get what they deserve. sorry ...

Read it again, John.
    He "made three attempts and gave up." Then, "Five minutes went by, then they got up to leave." It was only at that point that she addressed him. Which she did by shouting at him, calling him a "sick pervert". What hounding?
    Last edited by lxdude; 07-08-2013 at 04:08 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Deleted my response to a statement later deleted
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Speaking for myself, I have lost any interest for any kind of "street photography"; nevermind the legal ramifications. Referring to the photo attachment of post #76, this is how people everywhere seem to dress and look these days. Complete and total human eyesores, I would have no interest whatsoever at pointing my eyeballs at them, let alone a camera with film I had paid good money for. Times have changed and in the department of people-watching, it's purely depressing. (no offense to the writer of the referenced post).
    In closing, I wish people would stop going out in public wearing rags I wouldn't sleep in, much less leave the house.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I only read the first two pages or so,

But there was a short period of time I worked for Cirque Du Soleil as one of those guys that snaps pictures of people who arrive and then someone tries to sell them the pictures later.

I did this for about 3 months.

One time, this lady had a kid, and you could tell he was hesitant about getting his picture taken, so I waited till he wasn't looking and snapped a shot, he then noticed and started crying, the lady started screaming at me "he doesn't like his picture taken and now he's crying your ruined our whole night blah blah blah..." Really reamed me out... The thing is, she saw me with the camera, knew I worked there (being in the outfit and having a giant name tag) and saw me watching to take the picture and never said anything till I had taken the shot.

People will always need an excuse to freak out and yell about something, you can't let it get to you.

It would be creepier if you had been shooting with your cell phone...

I'm kind of a pest though, if she had started yelling in my face I would have been like "oh wait hold on let me focus, I want to catch this real life moment of anger and craziness..." Ad started aiming my camera at her hahaha.

You have to keep a good sense of humor in these situations.

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yep, one and the same
    Ha! Well, if you will go to Preston................ It's my nearest town but we always go up to Lancaster - much nicer, or occasionally across to Southport. Re taking street photos. I'd defend your right loudly, but you have bigger cojones than me to do street of kids in the middle of town these days! I've seen many great kid photos when walking around with my camera, but passed every one. Shame.

Shooter
    35mm
    A more suitable reply to the upset woman would've been: "Oh I'm truly sorry if you think I'm some kind of pervert, I'm a photographer and I'm doing a documentation about the people on the streets in this town, here take my card, drop me an email or call me and I'll send you a cpl of prints for free."

Normally this is what I do if someone objects after I've captured them (rare though...) and so far no unhappy faces after that, instead nice conversations about the town, about photography, bla bla etc.

Good luck m8!!
    http://street-photos.net/ | http://felinik.com/ | http://www.facebook.com/jf.felinik

"The one with the most stuff when he dies wins"

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    hi there,
    i'm well aware what street photography is, and i have worked as a photojournalist in a past life ...
    ( and have done some sort of documentary work for about 32 years )
    people who act like jerks get what they deserve. sorry ...
    A journalist you say?
    "All I ask for is an M5 with a fast lens, a roll of HP5 and a street to shoot her by."

StreetPhotographyBlog

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin