Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,475   Posts: 1,542,611   Online: 948

Page 14 of 38 FirstFirst ... 489101112131415161718192024 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    If you actually publish books like some of the real street photographers that are well known, then you have some legitimacy to your claim, if you just keep them for yourself and not for example posting them in galleries or on a website that advertised street photography, then you kind of are being a creep.... Because you're taking snaps and keeping them to yourself.
    Oh wow and here I thought Vivian Maier was a street photographer. Turns out she was just a creep.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Interesting stuff.

Sadly, over the course of this thread I've become a poorly dressed creep, who stares for extended periods and points his camera continuously at children.

I'm now someone who isn't a serious photographer because I don't wear a shirt and trousers. I pester people to the point of exasperation and I have no integrity as I don't write books.

NO I WON'T BE PHOTOGRAPHING MINORS AGAIN (I think I may have mentioned that before?) IT WAS A ONE-OFF AND SOMETHING I WON'T BE REPEATING ANY TIME SOON.

On the other hand, the 'business card' suggestion is a good one and something I will be doing tonight online. I also thank many for their kind words and encouragement (you know who you are. )

As for the rest of you . . . Merry Christmas.
    "All I ask for is an M5 with a fast lens, a roll of HP5 and a street to shoot her by."

StreetPhotographyBlog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Noble View Post
    if you want to stalk and photograph a stranger's children without so much as a hello or introduction you have to expect that eventually you will run into someone who objects.
    The OP was sitting on a bench, in plain view, not even moving around. I don't think that in any way constitutes stalking. Take out the word "stalk" and I agree with the statement.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by viridari View Post
    Oh wow and here I thought Vivian Maier was a street photographer. Turns out she was just a creep.
    Lol. Oh, boy. Here we go again.

I think if the police called any parent up and said we found pictures of your children amongst thousands of undeveloped negatives stretching back decades in an abandoned storage locker which used to belong to a dead recluse you would be a smidge creeped out.

jus' sayin'

I am not saying the OP is a "creep." Just to be clear.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Rider View Post
    Please, nobody take this the wrong way. It is just a simple observation of fact :-

Female (or male) attraction is just an inescapable part of our inner animal that we, by calling ourselves human, have attempted to sweep under the carpet.

No amount of etiquet or social conditioning will remove this basic drive that is in all of us.

Being attracted to a passing female/male is nothing more than being the male/female of our species.
    I guess that explains why I keep reading your name as "Minge Rider".
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Brian: I would have told the owner (not the dog) to sit down, stay, don't speak and then to reach into his wallet and give you $10 bucks. THEN if he was good, you'd photograph the dog but that's just his sitting fee. The dog is extra plus prints, of course.

I recommend the same technique if parents ask me to photograph their kids. I tell them to sit, stay, and fetch. The dual messages always throw parents a huge curve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider View Post
    Business license of course... But I do agree with asking beforehand. Unfortunately spontaneous events are out.
    It's not of course as there's no such thing as a business licence for a street photographer here. And what if it is not being done as part of a business?

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Noble View Post
    Lol. Oh, boy. Here we go again.
    Not really. We're still patiently waiting for your answer from the last time...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Not really. W̶e̶'̶r̶e̶ I am still patiently waiting for y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶a̶n̶s̶w̶e̶r̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶.̶.̶.̶ an answer I like.

Ken
    Fixed your post for you.

Sorry man. I'm not going to change my honest answers just to make you happy. And I have no intention of thread jacking and relitigating that topic.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by viridari View Post
    Imagine if Weegee had been respectful of the desires of others to not be photographed.

It all boils down to this...are we within our legal rights to shoot as we please. After that, it rests on personal etiquette, that which varies around the world.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin