Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,503   Posts: 1,645,119   Online: 793
      
Page 23 of 38 FirstFirst ... 131718192021222324252627282933 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 372
  1. #221

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    8,093
    Images
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
    Just because you may have noticed certain behaviour in however many instances, doesn't mean it is correct.
    I did say its my opinion

    Also, they haven't kicked me off of RFF haha guess I'm not so bad


    ~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #222
    Ming Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    District of the Lakes.
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    ... probably due to some fairly harsh editting by the mods.
    +1 from a long time RFFer.

    That place has taken on a carniverous feel I'm afraid to report.
    "All I ask for is an M5 with a fast lens, a roll of HP5 and a street to shoot her by."

    StreetPhotographyBlog

  3. #223
    Vilk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    424
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    ... probably due to some fairly harsh editting by the mods
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    ...they haven't kicked me off of RFF haha guess I'm not so bad
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Rider View Post
    That place has taken on a carniverous feel I'm afraid to report.
    well, they never kicked me out, i kicked myself out after a mod altered my (very civil) post a while ago due to an innocuous difference in personal opinion. i'm glad to see i'm not alone it's not the first forum i see being killed by mod arrogance

    yay for apug!

  4. #224
    winger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    southwest PA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,620
    Images
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    What an utter load of absolute tosh - and we wonder why so many women have image issues.
    Since this thread has gone so far off track anyway, I might as well chip in a female opinion on this one. Image issues have way more causes than someone thinking that most larger people are the ones who don't want to be photographed. Try having models like those in the heroin-chic years (like Kate Moss in her early years), but the food pushed at us is more fat than food. There is a major obesity epidemic and yet there's a fight about too-thin models at the same time. How could this not cause many insecure women (and men) to not have a clue how to feel about their bodies. In the USA, women are frequently told to cover their boobs and not breastfeed in public (one of the most normal acts in the history of humans - duh, we're MAMMALS), yet there are ads for Abercrombie, etc.. with barely clad teenagers. There is such a disparity of how the body is presented in advertising and news that it's almost amazing that there are some people with a healthy attitude towards their bodies.
    For what it's worth, I know very few people of any size who like to be photographed. There is a ring of truth to what Stone said and also an immaturity in how he said it. Maturity isn't just thinking a certain accepted way, it's really just acting like that's how you think.

  5. #225
    Ming Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    District of the Lakes.
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    Since this thread has gone so far off track anyway, I might as well chip in a female opinion on this one. Image issues have way more causes than someone thinking that most larger people are the ones who don't want to be photographed. Try having models like those in the heroin-chic years (like Kate Moss in her early years), but the food pushed at us is more fat than food. There is a major obesity epidemic and yet there's a fight about too-thin models at the same time. How could this not cause many insecure women (and men) to not have a clue how to feel about their bodies. In the USA, women are frequently told to cover their boobs and not breastfeed in public (one of the most normal acts in the history of humans - duh, we're MAMMALS), yet there are ads for Abercrombie, etc.. with barely clad teenagers. There is such a disparity of how the body is presented in advertising and news that it's almost amazing that there are some people with a healthy attitude towards their bodies.
    For what it's worth, I know very few people of any size who like to be photographed. There is a ring of truth to what Stone said and also an immaturity in how he said it. Maturity isn't just thinking a certain accepted way, it's really just acting like that's how you think.
    I quite agree, though surely the onus is on the individual to think "I'm happy/not happy as I am," and not rely on the opinions of others or media opinion etc . . .?

    Don't people have their own minds anymore?

    "Maturity is acting like that's how you think." Stone must be mature then?
    "All I ask for is an M5 with a fast lens, a roll of HP5 and a street to shoot her by."

    StreetPhotographyBlog

  6. #226

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    8,093
    Images
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    Since this thread has gone so far off track anyway, I might as well chip in a female opinion on this one. Image issues have way more causes than someone thinking that most larger people are the ones who don't want to be photographed. Try having models like those in the heroin-chic years (like Kate Moss in her early years), but the food pushed at us is more fat than food. There is a major obesity epidemic and yet there's a fight about too-thin models at the same time. How could this not cause many insecure women (and men) to not have a clue how to feel about their bodies. In the USA, women are frequently told to cover their boobs and not breastfeed in public (one of the most normal acts in the history of humans - duh, we're MAMMALS), yet there are ads for Abercrombie, etc.. with barely clad teenagers. There is such a disparity of how the body is presented in advertising and news that it's almost amazing that there are some people with a healthy attitude towards their bodies.
    For what it's worth, I know very few people of any size who like to be photographed. There is a ring of truth to what Stone said and also an immaturity in how he said it. Maturity isn't just thinking a certain accepted way, it's really just acting like that's how you think.
    I totally agree about the breastfeeding comment, it really saddens me that mothers feel so much pressure from society to hide such a healthy and natural thing. I'm working with another photographer on a normalizing breastfeeding campaign. But it's in it's infant stage (no pun intended).

    And yes I'm immature in my comments I'm sure there are certainly better ways to say things than I do. I just don't have much of a filter. I think if you all met me in person you'd see how my real personality and inflection in speech would change how I sound and I wouldn't seem like such a jerk.


    ~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #227

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    8,093
    Images
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Rider View Post

    Don't people have their own minds anymore?

    "Maturity is acting like that's how you think." Stone must be mature then?




    ~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #228
    winger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    southwest PA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,620
    Images
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Rider View Post
    I quite agree, though surely the onus is on the individual to think "I'm happy/not happy as I am," and not rely on the opinions of others or media opinion etc . . .?

    Don't people have their own minds anymore?

    "Maturity is acting like that's how you think." Stone must be mature then?
    Maturity is acting like you think the "accepted" way when you really don't. Not sure all here have made it to that definition.

    And I'm not too sure many people do have their own minds anymore. Since all of it is so pervasive, it's easy for it to edge its way into your thinking, even if you do usually think for yourself. I keep complaining about the couple of pounds I've gained in the last few years 'cause I think my belly looks fat and blobby. Yes, literally a couple of pounds. And I know it's somewhat ridiculous, but it still bothers me.

  9. #229
    winger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    southwest PA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,620
    Images
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I totally agree about the breastfeeding comment, it really saddens me that mothers feel so much pressure from society to hide such a healthy and natural thing. I'm working with another photographer on a normalizing breastfeeding campaign. But it's in it's infant stage (no pun intended).

    And yes I'm immature in my comments I'm sure there are certainly better ways to say things than I do. I just don't have much of a filter. I think if you all met me in person you'd see how my real personality and inflection in speech would change how I sound and I wouldn't seem like such a jerk.


    ~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    Too bad you're starting the project now - I finally completely weaned my little guy (yes, folks, he's 3 - normal weaning age should be 3-4, not 1). He got nursed in public in so many places I lost track. Don't let me go off on this topic.

    If you need help finding models, check with the LaLeche League or some attachment parenting groups in your area.

  10. #230
    Ming Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    District of the Lakes.
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    Maturity is acting like you think the "accepted" way when you really don't. Not sure all here have made it to that definition.

    And I'm not too sure many people do have their own minds anymore. Since all of it is so pervasive, it's easy for it to edge its way into your thinking, even if you do usually think for yourself. I keep complaining about the couple of pounds I've gained in the last few years 'cause I think my belly looks fat and blobby. Yes, literally a couple of pounds. And I know it's somewhat ridiculous, but it still bothers me.
    There's nothing wrong with a little belly on a woman, but that's probably just me?

    A couple are getting reasy for bed, the wife is looking in the mirror. She turns to her husband and says,

    "My face is going wrinkly, my boobs are sagging and my bum is drooping, please tell me something to make me feel better."

    He thinks for a bit, then says, "well there's nothing wrong with your eyesight ."
    "All I ask for is an M5 with a fast lens, a roll of HP5 and a street to shoot her by."

    StreetPhotographyBlog



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin