Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,287   Posts: 1,535,316   Online: 883

Page 32 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2226272829303132333435363738 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    BTW not saying I suspect you of being a perv, just that I think you should be more aware of how you make people feel by being aware of "time and place" of things.

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I have to admit, even as a photographer, I feel like SOME of what you describe would even freak me out and bother me.

And underwater at a pool, that is certainly suspect...
    Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Feldstein View Post
    This is where their minds are at without even thinking about what they're asking.
    I think this goes for thinking before you're shooting as well. For your own sake, Iluvmycam, it's very important to have an understanding about why you're shooting anorexics and kids. If you're drawn to these subjects instinctively or because "Diane Arbus did it" (genre conventions), when you're asked questions - which you will be - you don't have much of a leg to stand on.

Quote Originally Posted by Iluvmycam View Post
    I was trying to shoot an anorexic lady in the afternoon. I shoot whatever is interesting.
    I'm really quite troubled by this statement. Given the sensitivity of this subject (human being), that really isn't good enough. It's certainly not what you'd tell her if she approached you, is it? This is a very timely issue, and you're lucky you didn't end up in some serious trouble. If you don't have the self-awareness, I'd suggest you don't jump in the deep end. No pun intended... sincerely.

I hope this thread carries on and gains some weight - with the hope that it's referenced elsewhere on the net. But the last anecdote is just fuel for the fire.
    Last edited by batwister; 07-14-2013 at 06:18 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This is also a good example of why it's important for street photographers, more than anyone else, to move with the spirit of the times. You simply cannot practise the comparatively naive working methods of a bygone era in such a politically and ethically conscious environment.
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Wagg View Post
    I've had that countless times while doing street photography. I think its nice to know I'm at least getting some kind of reaction to my work
    ThisAttachment 71218 delightful creature screamed at me for taking her photo and calling me a perve. Cause obviously I get my jollies by looking at women drinking coffee
    Her T shirt says Bench.
    http://www.bench.co.uk/
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    I have to admit, even as a photographer, I feel like SOME of what you describe would even freak me out and bother me. I don't know why, I guess I just find it hard to believe that you wouldn't see why it might be creepy, perhaps you should go there with others so its not so weird.

Or go with a 4x5 so you can explain that you're shooting "street" images just like the old days to capture the "American lifestyle" it would make it seem more legit somehow I guess.

And underwater at a pool, that is certainly suspect...

I was the only one shooing like I was that I could see. it was a big affair. Maybe as big as a city block. 1000 or more people, maybe 1500?

What I do is not any different that what the photogs before me have done. Maybe in this day and age taking pix of strangers is creepy? But that is what street photogs do.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    Agree.

I think this goes for thinking before you're shooting as well. For your own sake, Iluvmycam, it's very important to have an understanding about why you're shooting anorexics and kids. If you're drawn to these subjects instinctively or because "Diane Arbus did it" (genre conventions), when you're asked questions - which you will be - you don't have much of a leg to stand on.

I'm really quite troubled by this statement. Given the sensitivity of this subject (human being), that really isn't good enough. It's certainly not what you'd tell her if she approached you, is it? This is a very timely issue, and you're lucky you didn't end up in some serious trouble. If you don't have the self-awareness, I'd suggest you don't jump in the deep end. No pun intended... sincerely.

I hope this thread carries on and gains some weight - with the hope that it's referenced elsewhere on the net. But the last anecdote is just fuel for the fire.

I seldom approach anyone to speak of. I prefer to shoot candid.
    Once in a while I do approach someone.

I don't see any problems with my description at all. If I got a photo of her I liked, anorexic would be the description of her in picture form as well. Anorexic is a perfectly good word.

Shooter
    35mm
    BTW not saying I suspect you of being a perv, just that I think you should be more aware of how you make people feel by being aware of "time and place" of things.

Sure, people are predisposed to thinking this nowadays. I'm just sending in my 2 cents on the subject.

This hassle is just something the street photog has to deal with unless they are good at taking photos extremely discreetly.

While I do take undercover shots sometimes, one can only do so much with that type of work.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Iluvmycam - Individuals with medical and/or behavioral conditions which cause low body weight have life threatening conditions. The woman you wished to photograph, could be suffering from many afflictions (eg Chron's, cancer, diabetes, TB, HIV, psychological, and many other life threatening conditions).
    Andy

Shooter
    35mm
    Let me talk a little more about the anorexic lady. I may have a decent photo of her, but prob not. I will see when I get the film back.

Within the realm of what turns the snapshot into a photograph are certain properties that must be met. Mood is one of them. Mood can be developed with extremes. Anorexics fall into a category of extremes.

But, a sickly, skinny anorexic is one thing. This lady was so-so on the sickly skinny range. But what did distinguish this lady was the dress she had on. A full length dress with a colorful, interesting geometric pattern to it. The dress helped showcase her skinny body. The geometry of the dresses pattern also added to the mood equation.

I was shooting with the Widelux and wondered how that image would look with a vertical shot from the Widelux. So that was the image I was trying to get with the shot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Iluvmycam View Post
    I had forgot, but I was hassled about 8 years ago at a public pool. I was testing an underwater video cam. I snorkeled around the pool taking test video of whatever was in the water...kids, adults, floats. Maybe 2 minutes if that worth of vid. A lifeguard hassled me about shooting the video. I told him yes I shot kids, adults anything I could to see how it worked. I told him I wasn't taking it diving before giving it at least a small test. He didn't get it.
    If you had done this while I was there and my kids were in the water, we would have had an issue.

A serious issue.
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin