Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,458   Online: 911

Page 33 of 38 FirstFirst ... 23272829303132333435363738 LastLast
    Gim

Quote Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
    If you had done this while I was there and my kids were in the water, we would have had an issue.

A serious issue.
    As well as the "anorexic lady". I would not be supprised at all if he ended up with his camera stuck to the side of his head. How insensitive!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Iluvmycam View Post
    Within the realm of what turns the snapshot into a photograph are certain properties that must be met. Mood is one of them. Mood can be developed with extremes. Anorexics fall into a category of extremes.
    I'm sorry, but you're only digging yourself into a hole and it's starting to become intellectually offensive as well as morally.
    Within the realm of what turns a 'snapshot' (?) into a 'photograph' (?) is intent and an understanding of cultural signifiers. Mood has to do with the context of your subject - like if the anorexic ghoul lady was in a haunted house . A moody or pensive person is something else. But how does the illness anorexia translate into mood exactly?

What you're describing with extremes isn't 'mood' (provoked through atmosphere) but shock value (provoked through morbid fixation on somebody's physical condition, for its own sake, with no consideration of the connotations and meaning photographs carry).
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    Multi Format
    starting????

Shooter
    35mm
    From the tones of some of your replies, it seems a lot of you quit before you even get started.

You can't have all these prejudices in your head and still do good street work. You can't keep telling yourself...I can't shoot anorexics, I can't shoot tramps and homeless, I can't shoot kids, I can't shoot women, I can't shoot...I can't shoot. and on and on.

As a street photog you shoot whatever is legal and makes a good photograph...period!

Shooter
    Multi Format

As a street photog you shoot whatever is legal and makes a good photograph...period!
    I am not familiar as to whether or not a grown man testing an underwater video cam by himself in a pool full of children is legal or not. I guess it would depend on whether the pool was considered private property.

Would you be comfortable with me taking an image of you and posting it on the web or in your neighborhood saying "This man takes underwater videos by himself in a pool full of children"?
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    From the tones of some of your replies, it seems a lot of you quit before you even get started.
    I'm not sure that we all share the same interest or respect for street photography. That is more likely the reason for the disparate opinions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    p.s. It's not so much an attitude of "I can't shoot...", but more of "I won't shoot..." based on respect for the subjects and the low probability of getting a really decent/noteworthy image.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You can't have all these prejudices in your head and still do good street work. You can't keep telling yourself...I can't shoot anorexics, I can't shoot tramps and homeless, I can't shoot kids, I can't shoot women, I can't shoot...I can't shoot. and on and on.
    Many people would argue there's a fine line between being a street photographer and being a weirdo, and you've provided a case worth debating:

If you're seeking out loaded and sensitive subject matter, the crunch between these definitions might be; do your images return back into the public sphere, or are they just for your own personal fetishistic pleasure? If you're drawn to subject matter with such potency, to what end? I can tell you think of your street photography as an obligation and if that is the case, in a real sense (as opposed to a delusion), who besides yourself do your pictures serve? What is your message? In the case of anorexics and homeless people, photography comes with a responsibility of intent.

You need to look at some work that deals with similar subject matter. I think you'll find there's more behind it than a pointed illustration of the grotesque.

Oh, and I'm hoping you don't tell your parents "I'm going out shooting tramps".
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    35mm
    Some would say, "As a photographer you shoot whatever makes a good photograph... Period!"

With the recent proliferation of image-capturing devices, that "photographer" thingy has come to mean "a person with an image-capturing device..." My late father, having thoroughly documented my early life--and more--in photographs, arguably better as a body of work than 96.37% of flickr streams, never once called himself a photographer...

Do what you must. Accept the consequences.

Peace!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I want to step in and add perspective.

On another occasion one of my photos of an actual anorexic girl, came under scrutiny because of the title and pointing out that she was in fact anorexic.

I also find any non-traditional type to be interesting in some way, whether its a psychological interest in their behavior and why they chose this life, or whatever the case may be.

No one picked on the guy who posted the lady drinking with "bench" on her shirt, she is the other side of anorexic but still extreme in that she appears slovenly. You can't pick on someone shooting an anorexic and not pick on someone shooting large people if the reasoning is the same and the large person may also be suffering from some mental issue or state of life or health issue causing weight. No one knows why but they are in some way interesting to the photographer and that's why they shot them.

So I don't feel that we should pick on him for the anorexic thing, if you're out in the world and choose to live in some way outside of the standard boundaries of living, then you're bound to attract attention whether its your fault or not. Pregnant women, bikers, people with extreme tattoos or piercings, people with two heads(sideshow type people) have all had their photograph taken because they were outside of the standard body, that's why we shoot, to capture the interesting and often the non-mundane. So remember that....

As far as the kids thing, well I think there's a time and place. I also think you should consider how your action affect other photographers. If you're constantly appearing to be a creep, it only adds more chance there will be a new law or rule put in place to prevent other photographers from shooting, therefore limiting others, not just yourself.

Be aware of your environment, not every image NEEDS to be had.

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin