Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,940   Posts: 1,585,686   Online: 974

Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 273132333435363738 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Lol! Complete joke or partial truth?

Just did some street photography with my newly squired yashika44LM it's safe to say mine is not jammed, and all my subjects were fascinated by the camera and let me take their candids on the NYC streets and a Johnny Rockets restaurant including a few staff who WANTED to be in the picture, I think I'm just really approachable and friendly and that helps.

Of course I took them on 1966 expired Verichrome Pan so might not have come out LOL

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    LET me take their CANDIDS !

Isn't that an oxymoron?
    "All I ask for is an M5 with a fast lens, a roll of HP5 and a street to shoot her by."

StreetPhotographyBlog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Feldstein View Post
    Whaddya mean "starting to sound like a bad movie" ?!
    its really that hard to see what i am talking about ?
    --- not sure who would direct it, or write it ... maybe the guy that directed "peeping tom" ?
    but so far there are no deaths that go along with the OP's pursuits LOL

====

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Rider View Post

Isn't that an oxymoron?

no it isn't ... it means after he took their candids they didn't go up to him
    and threaten him, or cause him trouble.

years ago i used to take candids at late night eateries in and around the boston area ..
    drunks, cabbies, drunk cabbies, off duty cops & revelers between 1am and 4am ..
    most people knew who i was and what i was up to, the owners didn't care and they looked out for my safety
    when the occasional violent drunk saw my camera pointed in his direction and approached me.

in other words, if the people didn't LET him take their CANDIDS they would have approached him ( as the occasional drunk approached me )
    grabbed his camera threatened to smash it on his head, or the ground, and then drag him someplace to hit him ...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    its really that hard to see what i am talking about ?
    --- not sure who would direct it, or write it ... maybe the guy that directed "peeping tom" ?
    but so far there are no deaths that go along with the OP's pursuits LOL

====

no it isn't ... it means after he took their candids they didn't go up to him
    and threaten him, or cause him trouble.

years ago i used to take candids at late night eateries in and around the boston area ..
    drunks, cabbies, drunk cabbies, off duty cops & revelers between 1am and 4am ..
    most people knew who i was and what i was up to, the owners didn't care and they looked out for my safety
    when the occasional violent drunk saw my camera pointed in his direction and approached me.

in other words, if the people didn't LET him take their CANDIDS they would have approached him ( as the occasional drunk approached me )
    grabbed his camera threatened to smash it on his head, or the ground, and then drag him someplace to hit him ...
    Sorry, I misunderstood.

I thought he asked their permission before taking the picture, thus making it non-candid.

"All I ask for is an M5 with a fast lens, a roll of HP5 and a street to shoot her by."

StreetPhotographyBlog

Shooter
    35mm

"A candid photograph is a photograph that is captured without creating a posed appearance. This is achieved by avoiding prior preparation of the subject and by either surprising the subject or by not distracting the subject during the process of taking photos. Thus, the candid character of a photo is regardless of the subject's knowledge or consent as to the fact that photos are being taken, and regardless of the subject's permission for subsequent usage such as distribution, but related to the apparent absence of posing. It is distinguished from making secret photography by the photographer usually remaining discernible to the public and not wearing cover."

So are we actually talking about SECRET photography and not CANDID photography?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Rider View Post

Isn't that an oxymoron?
    Knew that at some point I would be snapping them but that they weren't posing for it... It can be done.

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm
    If general paranoia about candid/street photography continues, these could become the least documented times since the box brownie. Most of my stuff consists of people at events, parades, festivals, village fetes and so on, a subject I've been covering since the 1970s. Recent years have definitely shown a rise in suspicion of what I do. Whether this is because I'm no longer the handsome cove I was, and fit the weird old man category more easily, or if it's a sharp rise in the fear and loathing index, is hard to say.

I mentioned to a parent a few days ago at a fete, that I probably had photographs of her child when he was the similar age to the present participants (about ten years ago), and she seemed slightly taken aback, then gratified that someone had seen fit to make a record and requested a look at some of the shots. The photographs are not portraits, but street style images that include people (of all ages), though it's impossible to explain such nuances when you're pointing a camera.
    Direct confrontation is rare, although I did have one two days ago. I was photographing someone passing an amusing billboard from the car waiting at traffic lights. A nearby driver assumed he was in shot, and with a theatrical revving of his engine and squeal of tyres, pulled alongside and demanded to know what I was 'taking pictures of'. I vaguely pointed, the lights turned green and he peeled away. Some people just have short fuses and you have to roll with it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The other way of looking at this photographic sea change is the real potential for more thoughtful work to arise. We're aware of the impulsive drive to 'shoot, shoot, shoot' that new technology facilitates and at the same time, increasingly conscious of the consequences - one of which is at the root of this thread (somewhere...). In all facets of life, people are becoming enlightened (for lack of a better word) - socially, politically, environmentally. Questioning, all said and done, isn't a bad thing and the best art/photography - as is often said - doesn't give us satisfying answers, but more often asks challenging questions. If you're forced to think "should I/shouldn't I?", you're in a position of responsibility - of representation in our case. This puts photography in a very important social and cultural place. Looking at the history of photography, you get the feeling this hasn't always been the case. So make the most of the time you live in.
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blockend View Post
    If general paranoia about candid/street photography continues, these could become the least documented times since the box brownie. Most of my stuff consists of people at events, parades, festivals, village fetes and so on, a subject I've been covering since the 1970s. Recent years have definitely shown a rise in suspicion of what I do. Whether this is because I'm no longer the handsome cove I was, and fit the weird old man category more easily, or if it's a sharp rise in the fear and loathing index, is hard to say.

I mentioned to a parent a few days ago at a fete, that I probably had photographs of her child when he was the similar age to the present participants (about ten years ago), and she seemed slightly taken aback, then gratified that someone had seen fit to make a record and requested a look at some of the shots. The photographs are not portraits, but street style images that include people (of all ages), though it's impossible to explain such nuances when you're pointing a camera.
    Direct confrontation is rare, although I did have one two days ago. I was photographing someone passing an amusing billboard from the car waiting at traffic lights. A nearby driver assumed he was in shot, and with a theatrical revving of his engine and squeal of tyres, pulled alongside and demanded to know what I was 'taking pictures of'. I vaguely pointed, the lights turned green and he peeled away. Some people just have short fuses and you have to roll with it.
    This is the MOST documented time ever, especially when you consider feeds like Instagram and vine, it's amazing people have time to live with all the images they are taking, they are just not using film...

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    This is the MOST documented time ever, especially when you consider feeds like Instagram and vine, it's amazing people have time to live with all the images they are taking, they are just not using film...
    How many of those Instagram pictures will exist in 100 years from now? Internet has extremely short life - most of the pages I liked in early 90's are gone - those pictures, texts that I liked are gone.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    How many of those Instagram pictures will exist in 100 years from now?
    Probably about the same percentage as Box Brownie pictures from 100 years ago.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin