Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,822   Posts: 1,581,940   Online: 936

Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    This happened after the London bombings. Despite signs in the railway station saying "No Photography", the Police were quick to ask witnesses if they had any photo's from inside the station at the time.
    "All I ask for is an M5 with a fast lens, a roll of HP5 and a street to shoot her by."

StreetPhotographyBlog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Rider View Post
    I don't tend to photograph children as a rule if I can help it.
    I don't either. It's not because I'm afraid of people thinking of me as a creeper or because I think it's creepy. I just don't have much interest in shooting pictures of kids unless the (potential) picture is something special.

The reason is brutally honest: Most people don't care to look at pictures of other people's kids.
    Show them a picture of their own kids and they'll think it's the greatest picture in the world, even if it isn't. But show them a great picture of somebody else's kids and they'll say, 'Ho-hum, what else have you got?"

Unless it's something iconic or extra special such as a little girl standing on the beach watching the sunset, most people wouldn't give a rat's ass.
    On the other hand, the iconic "girl at sunset" picture would probably be a silhouette anyway. In which case, it's a wash. You're not really taking a picture of a kid. You're taking a picture of a sunset which happens to have a kid in it.

Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    Street photography is a social activity. Treat it like a street party at which you're the official photographer.
    Y'know, if you put it that way, I am, sort of, the official photographer of Sunset Point.
    I wear cargo shorts, a Polo shirt and beach sandals. (Not flip-flops. Teva's.) I often have two cameras around my neck. One loaded with color. One black and white. People often come up and ask me if I'm a photographer. Sometimes I just want to say, "No, I'm a veterinarian!"

If you watched that Bill Cunningham trailer, he actually IS the official fashion street photographer of New York City.
    Even if he really isn't, he certainly acts like it.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    The reason is brutally honest: Most people don't care to look at pictures of other people's kids.
    Show them a picture of their own kids and they'll think it's the greatest picture in the world, even if it isn't. But show them a great picture of somebody else's kids and they'll say, 'Ho-hum, what else have you got?"
    Yup.

Other than this, I would say to get the weirdest camera you can find. A Mamiya TLR would probably suffice. Nearly everybody is intimidated by those things. You have to be a serious photographer if you show up with something that weird. I do know that I get occasionally nasty reactions if I use my SLRs, which are recognizable as normal cameras, but this is much reduced using a mid40's folding camera. The Mamiya C33 seems to get almost universal respect. People stand back when they see it.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    Yup.

Other than this, I would say to get the weirdest camera you can find. A Mamiya TLR would probably suffice. Nearly everybody is intimidated by those things. You have to be a serious photographer if you show up with something that weird. I do know that I get occasionally nasty reactions if I use my SLRs, which are recognizable as normal cameras, but this is much reduced using a mid40's folding camera. The Mamiya C33 seems to get almost universal respect. People stand back when they see it.
    Well by some strange coincidence (?), it just so happens I have C33.

I would love nothing more than to shoot a TLR all day. Unfortunately at around a fiver per 12 shots, it's a bit restrictive. If only you could roll your own?

On the plus side though, with the world as a whole adopting a heads-down iphone stance (me included as I write this), they would just assume I'm using an early 'mobile' prototype?
    "All I ask for is an M5 with a fast lens, a roll of HP5 and a street to shoot her by."

StreetPhotographyBlog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    OT Hi Ming. You by any chance the same Ming Rider as on the P*P*O forum? If so coincidence we are both on the same forums?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by mr rusty View Post
    OT Hi Ming. You by any chance the same Ming Rider as on the P*P*O forum? If so coincidence we are both on the same forums?
    Hi,

Yep, one and the same.

Seems that no matter what area of life you get involved with, you're open to attack from litigous morons?

StreetPhotographyBlog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    there seems to be a bit of a vogue at the moment on camera forums to diagnose people as having drug and/or alcohol and/or mental health problems purely on the basis that they object to having their photographs taken without first being asked.

What Ming Rider experienced is really quite unpleasant - as his reaction testifies - but none of us are in a position to make moral (or pseudo-medical) judgments about the person who inflicted it on him. We have no idea what provoked her reaction.
    Yeah it's weird to me that some people can't accept that there are perfectly normal people that don't want a stranger snapping pictures of them and their family without permission. People need to be able to read a situation and back off. I try and take pictures surreptitiously or in a non obvious way. Or I take pictures of people working at events like festivals. Sometimes I take pictures of policemen or construction workers at work. It's just that when people are enjoying some quiet leisure time with their family in an idyllic setting they really don't want their own personal paparazzi. It's just like they wouldn't want someone starring at them.

What a lot of people don't realize in life is most people don't like confrontation. Just because they don't say anything to you while you are snapping away doesn't necessarily mean they don't mind. But every once in awhile you run across someone who has no problem telling you off. I've encountered those types of people in other areas in life. It has nothing to do with someone holding a camera.

I think as artists some people should be a bit more human and empathetic to their subjects' feelings. If you ask the average person whether they thought it was normal to object to a stranger snapping pictures of their family outing most people would say yes. It doesn't matter whether it is legal. There are plenty of things that are perfectly legal that we don't do because we know others will object.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Rider View Post
    I suppose my biggest failing is that I tend to see the best in people (until they show otherwise)
    I don't see that as a failing. I think it's much better than thinking the worst of people until they prove themselves to be worthy.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Noble View Post
    There are plenty of things that are perfectly legal that we don't do because we know others will object.
    Like what? And who's "we"? And is yelling "pervert" at someone one of those things?
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Like what? And who's "we"? And is yelling "pervert" at someone one of those things?
    +1

I can't think of anything in the UK that's legal yet no one does for fear of offending (except photographing kids that is).

Conversely, I can think of plenty that's illegal, yet people do regardless.

StreetPhotographyBlog

Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin