Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,432   Online: 818

Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst 123456789101115 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Like what? And who's "we"?
    Like telling my boss what I really think of his suit. And "we" is the average normal person.

And is yelling "pervert" at someone one of those things?
    It is possible for two parties to behave in an unreasonable fashion in a situation. It's not like one person is 100% correct and one person is 100% wrong all the time. Like I said I choose my subjects carefully. I shoot carefully and I read a situation and back off. I wouldn't "stand my ground." If I were to do something like that, which I wouldn't, and someone got upset I would apologize and explain myself. If they mentioned the authorities I would again apologize and be willing to discuss the matter with the authorities. I would not tell them I had a legal right to do what I did. Once you start telling people about your legal rights you are in full blown confrontation mode. Even if someone reacts excessively to a noxious stimulus that does not absolve the person imposing that stimulus of all blame. You can't control other people. But you have 100% or at least 95% control over yourself. Change the variables you can control.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I don't see that as a failing. I think it's much better than thinking the worst of people until they prove themselves to be worthy.

Steve.
    Quite agree, though I was feeling a little sorry for myself at that point.

It's a sad fact that the more time I choose to spend in 'the city', the more I'm realising what a different world it is to the relative tranquility of the countryside.

People's attitudes (to a large degree) towards each other are different. I walk around feeling happy with my lot and probably show it in my expression. Others look (to me anyway) as though they're about to be attacked around the next corner.

A simple cheery nod from me to anyone passing by, is met with a fearful look in the other direction.

I was going to ask a passerby in Blackburn this morning if he knew where there was a McDonalds. Before I could speak, he just blurted, "not interested, I don't believe in God." Later I realised that with my cheerful disposition and the black messenger style camera bag, I probably looked like a Jehovah Witness.

Sad times and shame on others for loosing empathy with their surroundings.

I'll get of my soapbox now.
    "All I ask for is an M5 with a fast lens, a roll of HP5 and a street to shoot her by."

StreetPhotographyBlog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Noble View Post
    Like telling my boss what I really think of his suit. And "we" is the average normal person.
    I don't see how that compares to taking pictures in a public place.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't see how that compares to taking pictures in a public place.
    Well it's not merely "taking pictures in a public place." It is taking pictures of someone else's children without permission or even introducing yourself. There are some people that would consider both scenarios rude.

In the United States we have a constitution. And the first amendment of that constitution guarantees freedom of speech. It is almost like a religious text. But for most of us regardless of what freedoms that passage says it protects we go most of our lives without invoking it's protection. Why? Because regardless of what some piece of legal paper in Washington DC says we are more constrained by societal norms. It's ironic. People complaining about the break down of society because they can't just stalk and shoot other people's children without so much as a "hello" or introduction. Quoting your legal rights to someone is not how I see things getting done on the street in small towns. That to me seems a very urban attitude.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I guess it helps me sometimes that I'm particularly big and particularly ugly. When I do street work, I seldom run into problems with anyone. On the contrary, when people realize I'm shooting film, they often see it as a novelty and ask if I'll take their photo (and yet still ask to see the preview on the back of the camera).

Shooter
    35mm
    i am not familiar with the rules of the country the OP was in regarding street photos. but in the US we can still do it freely.

I am wondering if we should take a more aggressive approach? Should we start following our accusers down the street making our case argumentative style and getting upset at their accusations?

'Idiot...I am not a fudging pervert ...if i was, I'd be shooting from a van with a telephoto or a mirror spy attachment.'...type of thing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Iluvmycam View Post
    i am not familiar with the rules of the country the OP was in regarding street photos. but in the US we can still do it freely.
    It's largely the same here.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Rider View Post
    A simple cheery nod from me to anyone passing by, is met with a fearful look in the other direction.
    Not down here. most people would say hello.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Noble View Post
    Yeah it's weird to me that some people can't accept that there are perfectly normal people that don't want a stranger snapping pictures of them and their family without permission.
    I think there is a basic misunderstanding between serious photographers and the public.

We don't necessarily take pictures OF other people. We take pictures that have people IN THEM.
    At least that's the way I see things. I take pictures of landscapes, scenery or landmarks but, without people in them, they often look deserted, uninteresting or just plain boring. People in the foreground or interacting with the world are what makes an "okay" picture into a great picture.

Sometimes, I'll take a picture of people or kids doing something but, in those cases, it's about the activity, not necessarily the person. Most of the time, those people's faces aren't visible or they are blurred or in the shadows.

It's not because I don't want to see the person's face. It's because I'm trying to sell my pictures or I'm trying to promote my photography. I want to promote pictures, not other people. The only person beside me who cares is the person in the picture. The rest of the world doesn't give a rat's ass.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    In today's world it's incredibly rude to interact with a minor without contact with the responsible adult first. INCREDIBLY RUDE and anyone who reads a newspaper or watches a tv more than once a month should know that. Don't discuss the constitution or your "rights" as an artist. We are talking about very basic good manners.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin