Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,828   Posts: 1,582,106   Online: 1039

Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131418 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Iluvmycam View Post
    Well, as a street photog in the style of Bresson we don't ask - we shoot. Sure, sometimes we all ask for a shot. But if we can, the dedicated ones try to work candid.
    That is your choice. I wasn't trying to command anyone to shoot in any particular way. What I was commenting on is if you want to stalk and photograph a stranger's children without so much as a hello or introduction you have to expect that eventually you will run into someone who objects. And given enough time you will come across someone who objects in an inappropriate way. It is just hyperbolic to claim such a situation is illustrative of some kind of downward spiral of urban society and that it makes you physically ill. Play the game any way you want but when you throw snake eyes don't complain.

I shoot suriptiously sometimes. I don't do it with children. But I know if I am caught someone might object. That's just part of the game.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider View Post
    You need a business card when this happens which you can hand to such a person and tell them that they can download the picture for their album. It helps if you actually are licensed.
    Licenced for what?

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Iluvmycam View Post
    Don't know if that is true. (US) You can say f off or get in a fight. But the photographer right to shoot is higher than your right to refuse. (at least that is my understanding. correct me if i am wrong.)
    Unless you are famous, you have some rights to privacy. People just can't just "stick a camera in your face". You can shoot the street, but "zooming in' on an individual is risky.

Shooter
    35mm
    I asked my wife about this thread. She said I should not aggressively chase the accuser down to state my case. She said just state the facts objectively if asked. So maybe that is the best course. Don't shrink in fear and don't get overblown. Just be guilt free, honest and factual.

I don't usually post my pix on the forums, but here are 2 kid photos I shot 40 years apart. The first BW was in downtown L.A. I followed the oblivious girl down a busy street shooting lots of pix with my Nikon F. No permission asked, no parents in sight, no one said a thing.

http://danielteolijr.blogspot.com/20...454f4b6fe9e501

This one I asked the grandma if I could shoot the little girl. She said yes, but she did not know how all inclusive my lens was.

http://www.artslant.com/ny/works/sho...-heliocentrism

I have come to the conclusion, if parents are around and it is hard to shoot good undercover...ask.

If things can be shot without much fear of backlash...shoot candid if you like.
    Last edited by Iluvmycam; 07-07-2013 at 05:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    Unless you are famous, you have some rights to privacy. People just can't just "stick a camera in your face". You can shoot the street, but "zooming in' on an individual is risky.
    Many of us don't know where the boudaries are. We just try and use common sense...but sense varies.

Look at Bruce Gilden. He sticks a cam in your face and blinds you with his flash.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_mefFIW-RC4...0/NYC16398.jpg

I may get in people faces, but I do it low key and I don't blind them. (Unless it is nighti tme and am looking for the flash / blur effect.)
    Last edited by Iluvmycam; 07-07-2013 at 09:17 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Rider View Post
    Next thing I know, she's shouting "you're a sick pervert for photographing my kids" and that she was going to call the police.
    I've had that countless times while doing street photography. I think its nice to know I'm at least getting some kind of reaction to my work
    ThisClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo21_18-3.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	1,016.3 KB 
ID:	71218 delightful creature screamed at me for taking her photo and calling me a perve. Cause obviously I get my jollies by looking at women drinking coffee

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Since we so easily conflate what is morally right with what is legal - a question. Is it true that I can take a photo of anything as long as I am on public property and use it for any purpose I wish but I can only take a picture of another person, anywhere, if I don't use it for commercial use (or get model release)? Can I sell a photo of another person without a model release as a work of art? I do believe one exception is that I can take a photo of a "public" person with impunity and use it for commercial use if I wish. Just checking what our society officially "approves" of. Any lawyers out there?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Wagg View Post
    I've had that countless times while doing street photography. I think its nice to know I'm at least getting some kind of reaction to my work

ID:	71218 delightful creature screamed at me for taking her photo and calling me a perve. Cause obviously I get my jollies by looking at women drinking coffee
    Pictures of Women drinking coffee is what gets me going. Pheww, is it hot in here or is it just me?

I wonder if her t-shirt says Wench?
    "All I ask for is an M5 with a fast lens, a roll of HP5 and a street to shoot her by."

StreetPhotographyBlog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Wagg View Post

Makes sense to me. I am not a woman but I've dated plenty of attractive girls and you wouldn't believe the volume and nature of sexual advances they have to fend off constantly. I don't whistle at women or make cat calls but there are a lot of guys apparently that do and do much worse. Women particularly if they are semi attractive and or young live in a different world. I wouldn't be too quick to make fun of them when they obsess about "pervs."

Again, if you play the game don't come on the internet complaining about rolling snake eyes. And bringing it back to the OP and the "good ol' days" vs modern society I remeber a time when a gentleman would ask a lady before taking her picture.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Noble View Post
    Makes sense to me. I am not a woman but I've dated plenty of attractive girls and you wouldn't believe the volume and nature of sexual advances they have to fend off constantly. I don't whistle at women or make cat calls but there are a lot of guys apparently that do and do much worse. Women particularly if they are semi attractive and or young live in a different world. I wouldn't be too quick to make fun of them when they obsess about "pervs."

Again, if you play the game don't come on the internet complaining about rolling snake eyes. And bringing it back to the OP and the "good ol' days" vs modern society I remeber a time when a gentleman would ask a lady before taking her picture.
    Please, nobody take this the wrong way. It is just a simple observation of fact :-

Female (or male) attraction is just an inescapable part of our inner animal that we, by calling ourselves human, have attempted to sweep under the carpet.

No amount of etiquet or social conditioning will remove this basic drive that is in all of us.

Being attracted to a passing female/male is nothing more than being the male/female of our species.
    "All I ask for is an M5 with a fast lens, a roll of HP5 and a street to shoot her by."

StreetPhotographyBlog

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin