Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,550   Posts: 1,573,046   Online: 828

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Iluvmycam View Post
    It is unusual that libraries accept loose prints. Did you have any problems with getting them to accept?
    My work is far more photojournalist than artistic. The Bentley Historical Library collects images related to the history of Michigan and the University of Michigan and sets up individual contributor collections; mine consists of photos, negatives, scans and even a DVD of 16mm movies my Dad shot in the 1940s. My images in the JFK Library are 35mm color slides of Kennedy making his peace corps speech at the U of M.

I would think most states have historical libraries interested in photos documenting life in that state over the years.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    I've donated some to the Bentley Historical Library at the University of Michigan and some to the John F. Kennedy Library in Boston.

Have you tried any other public institutions for acceptance?

Shooter
    35mm
    My work is far more photojournalist than artistic. The Bentley Historical Library collects images related to the history of Michigan and the University of Michigan and sets up individual contributor collections; mine consists of photos, negatives, scans and even a DVD of 16mm movies my Dad shot in the 1940s. My images in the JFK Library are 35mm color slides of Kennedy making his peace corps speech at the U of M.

I would think most states have historical libraries interested in photos documenting life in that state over the years.
    I see. Then they are most appropriate for these depositories.

You are kind of unusual for the forums. I've been on a number of forums and few if any members work in this area of preservation via public collections.

At least no one replies to the threads with anything useful. Most of the replies will be of the nature 'so what if my photos turn to compost when I die' type of reply.

I contacted both libraries you mentioned. The Bentley rejected my donation as it was 'out of their scope.' Have not heard from JFK, but if a reply comes, it will most likely be the same.

My documentary work is on L.A. / Hollywood 1970's era.
    Last edited by Iluvmycam; 07-12-2013 at 12:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Iluvmycam View Post
    My documentary work is on L.A. / Hollywood 1970's era.
    You should look into any California State Library collections or college/universities in the LA area.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm with David Brown on this. Once I'm dead who cares about my prints unless I'm a news photographer, which I'm not. As for negatives, even in the case of famous photographers there's no real value to new prints made from negatives after the photographer is dead. So I'd say people who worry about their negatives lasting hundreds of years are all ego. Nobody's negatives need to outlast the photographer.

Shooter
    35mm
    You should look into any California State Library collections or college/universities in the LA area.
    OK, I just wrote to the CA State Library. I already tried a lot of the universities in CA, but not the state library.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    I'm with David Brown on this. Once I'm dead who cares about my prints unless I'm a news photographer, which I'm not. As for negatives, even in the case of famous photographers there's no real value to new prints made from negatives after the photographer is dead. So I'd say people who worry about their negatives lasting hundreds of years are all ego. Nobody's negatives need to outlast the photographer.
    I am not interested in $. Just in presrvation. I owe it to the people I photographed over the years.

Imagine if no one cared about preservation? Museums and libraries would have nothing from history to be handed down from generation to generation.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    mmm Vivian Maier comes to mind.
    I am working with a few estates that would disagree and are hoping to show their father/mothers work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    google John Yoko bedin the images in BW were commissioned by the estate to produce a show on the 40 year anniversary , at Bulger Gallery, we scanned the bw original negs and printed a selection of 16 x20 fibre prints for this show.
    I have a two wonderful inspirational prints from this series hanging in my home, I value them tremendously.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'm not important, and never took a picture the world couldn't do without. And after I croak they'll all probably end up in the dump. But when I get to heaven, they'll have lots of Kodak and Ansco film there and I'll have till the end of time to shoot it all up, free. That is, presuming I won't be shoveling coal somewhere else.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin