Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,203   Posts: 1,531,636   Online: 1148

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

What work have you done for presevation of your photography?

Young people don't think much about it. As we age, the older photographers may give this area some thought. As to what will happen to our photographs when we die.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've donated some to the Bentley Historical Library at the University of Michigan and some to the John F. Kennedy Library in Boston.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I shower 5 minutes, bathe in Perma-Wash, then shower another 5 minutes. That way, I'm archival, and don't have to worry about it.

Seriously, I'm hoping some get passed down through my family, so there's a connection to future generations.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Negs in sleeves, not files on a HD.
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    Negs in sleeves, not files on a HD.
    Hahaha ! Same here, too !!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Finding some old negatives on flea market - and then developing them and looking those pictures is time traveling for me, I enjoy it very much. So when you (we, I) are gone - our negatives go to family, and they can even sell them or give them to someone - but they will find a way to some future analog enthusiast in 100 years from now and he/she will develop your picture and have his/her time travel
    One of best characteristics of analog photography is long archival life.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    I've donated some to the Bentley Historical Library at the University of Michigan and some to the John F. Kennedy Library in Boston.
    It is unusual that libraries accept loose prints. Did you have any problems with getting them to accept?

I've worked a lot in the library preservation area and that was my experience with loose prints. I only got 3 out of the 90 libraries I solicted to accept loose prints.

But, if I spiral bound the same prints and called it a 'limited edition, hand printed book,' another dozen or so libraries accepted them. But 2 of the 3 that accepted the loose prints were in the UK. So as far as the USA, I only got 1 library to accept loose prints.

Another problem with libraries was this. A good handful of prestigious libraries I solicited refused my offers of the bound, hand printed book or loose prints, as their collection policy prohibited them from accepting original works of art.
    Last edited by Iluvmycam; 07-11-2013 at 08:16 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    I shower 5 minutes, bathe in Perma-Wash, then shower another 5 minutes. That way, I'm archival, and don't have to worry about it.

Seriously, I'm hoping some get passed down through my family, so there's a connection to future generations.

Your lucky. That was what I was hoping for. I had never given it any thought until last year. Then I had a talk with my family about preservation in Nov of 2012. I found out my wife and estranged daughter in law plan to trash all my photography when I kick off. That got me motivated with preservation before all my work ends up in the nearest dumpster. (I had already lost all my work from the 1980's - 1990's in a flood.)

With my second rate stuff I have been putting some of it on Wiki Commons. If it is not museum quality and I am not embarrassed by it, I can send it to the WIKI. With my first rate work, I have had some success getting it into 24 museums and rare book libraries. With about 75% of the acceptance being from prestigious libraries. (I solicited about 235 museums and about 90 libraries to get into 24.)

The museums are very tough to get in. They require the Curator of Photography accepting the images to present to the Deputy Director. Then the Deputy Director must present them to the Director. Then the Director has to present to the Board of Directors and they must approve.

On top of this is the fact that the vast majority of museums are overloaded with photos and have little room. (So they say, but 'no room' may also be an excuse to reject in a nice way.) I have also offered high res TIFF files to the museums that say they are short on room. But as yet, no luck with acceptance of digital files.
    Last edited by Iluvmycam; 07-11-2013 at 08:18 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Iluvmycam View Post
    I found out my wife and estranged daughter in law plan to trash all my photography when I kick off.
    It would be great that you give it to somebody - and then that somebody makes good marketing and you become next Vivian Maier, and then let them meditate over trashing your work.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My ego doesn't care.
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin