Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,754   Posts: 1,515,976   Online: 930

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    OP...the film cams make me think. I can't afford to waste a shot. I love old school controls, simple and up front.

I hate the controls on the digital cams. My m43 is so hard to adjust I sedom take it off the dummy setting. If all cams were old school control, that would be fine with me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    From my experience of using real machine guns, you can fire hundreds of rounds and not do half as much damage to the enemy as aimed rifle fire from skilled and experienced infantrymen, but I digress.
    I second that! Best analogy I have read so far...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    The number of shots you shoot has nothing to do with the image you wish to capture.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    In case you forgot, machine gunning shots was happening long before digital.

Motor drive Nikons were around in the early 70s at something like 10-12 frames per second.

How you shoot is a personal choice. If you're deliberate and set up your shots and only take a few, that's a choice, as is firing off 100 at a time.

Digital has nothing to do with any of this.
    Amen. I've had "machine gunning" capability since the 1980's and never needed or used it.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kb3lms View Post
    Digit-heads usually just whack off as many shots as possible on the idea that out of lots and lots of shots something just HAS to be good. My niece did this at her wedding. It was the old Uncle Bill and his GOOD camera scenario. Her friend, (the Uncle Bill), ran around like an idiot with the DSLR constantly going and then they picked out 2 dozen from the 3100 and some the friend shot. The 3100+ included the reception so it was over several hours. But it was insane and very disruptive of the whole ceremony with flashes and changing batteries and whatever. Unbelievable. Their album they had made ended up with one good shot and 23 mediocre ones. 30 or 40 well timed or composed shots could have easily done the job.

The display is turned off on my DSLR so I'd say I shoot it like film. I rarely look at any shots till I get home and stick the card in my laptop. My 32GB SD card will last for years.

To me, film always has that anticipation factor of seeing what you really got and it's more than half the fun.
    I have to admit, between the wedding ceremony and the reception and dancing, I shoot about 800-1200 shots with digital and my assistant shoots 800 or so, I give the client 200-300 images roughly. Wedding photography expectations are way different than other kinds of photography so using that example isn't entirely useful.

One things for sure, "competing" with uncle bill IS annoying...

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kb3lms View Post
    Digit-heads usually just whack off
    This I agree with.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    In case you forgot, machine gunning shots was happening long before digital.

Motor drive Nikons were around in the early 70s at something like 10-12 frames per second.

How you shoot is a personal choice. If you're deliberate and set up your shots and only take a few, that's a choice, as is firing off 100 at a time.

Digital has nothing to do with any of this.
    It didn't start with digital, but it was not widespread before digital. Even pros who used those motors had to budget their shots because they didn't want to be at the end of a roll when the action peaked.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    I do agree. During the days of film, I spent too much money buying Polaroid type 669 learning about the dynamic range of transparency film and studio lighting. I could imagine that I were to learn again, I'd use digital to learn about lighting.
    These days I use my dslr mostly to do a check of my lighting/flash setup before the final photo on film. It's a very capable camera, but to get the results I'm after I'm not skilled enough in photoshop to achieve the look I want.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    It didn't start with digital, but it was not widespread before digital. Even pros who used those motors had to budget their shots because they didn't want to be at the end of a roll when the action peaked.
    The main reson was the more shots you took the less the profit.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    When I was a student , Soviets had been collapsed newly and there were thousands of Kievs , FEDs , Zenits everywhere. I sold my yashica and bought a kiev 88 camera , 80 and 250 mm and two magazines , filters , ttl camera meter , few filters and excellent case.

Problem I had no Money to buy film. I said , tonight I will not eat and buy from this new velvia. I did and after couple of hours , I shot my lifes best Picture.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin