Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,196   Online: 1006

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    The main reson was the more shots you took the less the profit.
    I don't think that was the main reason for those shooting 35mm. Overshooting is a waste, clearly. But if machine-gunning meant getting the well-paying shot, film costs incurred were unimportant in comparison.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You're a true artist Mustafa. Suffering for your art. The ones with full bellies don't have the hunger to produce art.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    You're a true artist Mustafa. Suffering for your art. The ones with full bellies don't have the hunger to produce art.
    That's it - I am going to quit my very comfortable job, leave my wife who also earns a very comfortable living and alternate between eating and buying film! That should get me out of my current photography rut!

(BTW, I do believe it is very true).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd been shooting film for about 20 years when I treated myself to a brand new Canon 5D. Shooting digital freed me from worrying about running out of film, and I took pictures of everything. A year later I scored a lightly-used EOS 1V. Took it to a park with a roll of film, shot all 36 frames in about 15 minutes. I was horrified! I had to relearn patience and selectivity, and when I shoot digital now I shoot it like I was shooting film.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    That's it - I am going to quit my very comfortable job, leave my wife who also earns a very comfortable living and alternate between eating and buying film! That should get me out of my current photography rut!

(BTW, I do believe it is very true).
    You'd be surprised how many successful photographers (or maybe you won't be surprised) had very wealthy mates who helped support them and get them on their feet before they were famous...

Also, I want to share something really personal, This is important to me and a real story from my life so I hope some of you take the time to read it, it's simple... but a very good friend of mine, my best friends younger brother in fact, once said to me that he truly believed that in order to become great, that we must suffer, that as an actor (this was before I was as heavily into photography as I am now) I would be nothing if I didn't move to NY, live in the shittiest hole, and suffer and strive to be great at what I did, he said that only then would I find greatness. And he moved to NY himself, and he suffered in a different way, and sadly passed from an accidental overdose... I say this because there's a fine line between suffering for your art, and suffering for the sake of art. That I think there's a lot of truth in what my friend said, but that you can't let it consume you, because then you won't have the strength to truly be great when it really counts. So choose to eat, take the long path, take your time, use that extra food energy to work harder at your job and get a raise or a better position, then you can start to use the money toward film, you will have earned the right, you will appreciate the film not out of desperation, but out of respect for the journey that took you there and the times you went without the art itself in order to be in that moment now, and your images that you create will be inspirational because you'll feel inspirational and want to share that with the world...

Thanks for listening guys,

~Stone

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Stone,

You will discover how your wealth wife would love her Money. My uncle lives in million dollar villa but he storms at the home when someone uses home telephone. I would prefer to marry with a poor hippie girl and live a happy life. I know how to work hard , I bet nobody here worked 9 AM to 1 AM seven days a week without sit on a chair for 4 years. And hitchhiking to home and reach to the home 2.30 AM.
    It was a prepress business and one of the 3 biggest lab in the World. I love the films , scanners , laser printers , colorists , mac guys , lay out systems and the proof systems. It made me to selected as Heidelberg rep. 400 applications and 1 guy.

And nobody worked in a luxury here like me. When a newspaper machine broken , they call me and our private jet flies to europe to bring the part and the master.

I know to hitchhike at minus 25 celcius in middle of night and road and I know how to order to a private jet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    I don't think that was the main reason for those shooting 35mm. Overshooting is a waste, clearly. But if machine-gunning meant getting the well-paying shot, film costs incurred were unimportant in comparison.
    I used to shoot 35mm weddings back in the day, and never used to use more than four films on a job, because the cost of processing, proofing, enlargements by a local professional lab. and the album if I shot any more really ate into the profit I made, and I was confidant enough in my ability not to overshoot from a sense of insecurity which I believe many photographers do these days.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    2 new digital cameras for about 3 months. Between them I've shot maybe 400 frames. Can't stop thinking about wasting and getting the shot the first time. Not necessarily a bad thing. I find it amazing that I have the capability to shoot 4 thousand frames non stop. But why? I bought too much card.

Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    It didn't start with digital, but it was not widespread before digital. Even pros who used those motors had to budget their shots because they didn't want to be at the end of a roll when the action peaked.
    That's why they carried 2 or 3 cameras.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I think that's perfectly fine

Quote Originally Posted by Nuff View Post
    These days I use my dslr mostly to do a check of my lighting/flash setup before the final photo on film. It's a very capable camera, but to get the results I'm after I'm not skilled enough in photoshop to achieve the look I want.
    For those that get what they want working in Photoshop, sometimes they make up for sloppy shooting. I freely admit I shoot digital, but I try to get the shot the best I can while shooting even though there's that crutch called Photoshop. It is a useful tool if I enhance what I have or accomplish what I can't do in the camera. Digital photography and Photoshop are not necessarily bad tools.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin