Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,218   Posts: 1,532,220   Online: 862

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by modafoto
    You should not have pushed yourself. I you did the resulting photos would remind you of the discomfort you had by taking them.
    Second; My grandmother says that the photos she wants us to keep after her death should be the ones where she is healthy and fresh, not a photos of her ill or, even worse, on the edge of dying.

So I do not think that the photos you would have taken of your grandmother when she was ill would be pleasurable to keep. But that is just my opinion.

morten
    Thank you Morten, that's exactly what I thought.
    When she was well unfortunately I was not in photography so I thought
    of taking her portrait too late.
    Now I have the plan of taking everyone's portrait, at the very least for
    practice!

Thank you Jay too.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram
    Thank you Morten, that's exactly what I thought.
    When she was well unfortunately I was not in photography so I thought
    of taking her portrait too late.
    Now I have the plan of taking everyone's portrait, at the very least for
    practice!
    Back in 1999 my mother had a heart attack and her heart stopped for 15 minutes and her brain was severely damaged due to lack of oxygene to it. She became what is commonly known as, in fact a precise term, a vegetable. We took a few pictures in the time between the accident and her death (2001), but I have kept NONE as I do not want to remember her that way. Imagine a woman aged 50 who cannot do anything...can't speak, can't really move...just lies in her bed or in a special wheel chair. Very hard time we had back then.

So instead I have some very precious photos (including the negs) of her from when she was ok. Unfortunately I got into photography after her death so I don't have any high-quality photos of her, but the ones I have are great for the memories of her. These I have made copies of in B&W to make them last as liong as possible. Better than nothing anyway.

Greetings Morten

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am sadenned to hear of your mother Morten.
    I am sure it was terribly difficult to you and I understand completely what you feel about the photographs.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram
    I am sadenned to hear of your mother Morten.
    I am sure it was terribly difficult to you and I understand completely what you feel about the photographs.
    It was difficult, but the only thing to do is move on...It's a part of me and I have learned some valuable lessons about myself and my ways of reaction.
    Photography for me is also a way of dealing with difficult stuff in life as it eases my mind. Without my sorrow and other dark sides I wouldn't have the inspiration and imagination I have.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by modafoto
    I you did the resulting photos would remind you of the discomfort you had by taking them.
    ...which sounds to me exactly why you should make them. Life doesn't tie itself up into neat and smiling little rectangles with a polished wooden frame. YMMV, but it seems to me that there are revelations and beauty to be found in the terrifying specificity of photography (on reflection, I've a hunch that this is exactly the terror Avedon meant when he wrote about portraiture).

Composition and worries about developers and lenses and perfect printing are all ways to deflect ourselves from seeing hard and truly -- and to photograph the people we love with the same passion and precision we apply to these peripheral minutiae.

[size=1]
    Gene Smith

Robert Frank

Garry Winogrand

Nan Goldin
    [/size]

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin