Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,082   Online: 1025

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yesterday I was shooting on the Denver 16th st mall with the Mamiya tlr and several people walking by had quick comments such as "cool camera", etc. One guy, maybe late 40s, got all excited because he has one at home that he never uses any more. We talked for 5 minutes or so. He used to shoot a lot of B&W with it and had his own darkroom/bathroom setup, but he's been solely digital for several years. He thought it was great to see somebody doing it. I hope it put a spark in him to dig it out and start shooting again.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another good story I just thought of:

My friend is kind of into photography. He understands the basics like shutter speed, aperture, ISO, etc and dabbles in photography every once in a blue moon. When I got my Mamiya he wanted to see it and when he looked at the focusing screen his first comment was "HOLY **** THAT'S SO CLEAR, IT LOOKS HOLOGRAPHIC." He also said something similar when looking through the viewfinder of my Hasselblad.

Again, everyone who has seen me shooting film and/or has asked questions are always very nice. Hopefully I don't run into some jerk in the near future.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tron_ View Post
    Another good story I just thought of:

My friend is kind of into photography. He understands the basics like shutter speed, aperture, ISO, etc and dabbles in photography every once in a blue moon. When I got my Mamiya he wanted to see it and when he looked at the focusing screen his first comment was "HOLY **** THAT'S SO CLEAR, IT LOOKS HOLOGRAPHIC." He also said something similar when looking through the viewfinder of my Hasselblad.

Again, everyone who has seen me shooting film and/or has asked questions are always very nice. Hopefully I don't run into some jerk in the near future.
    Sort of like the reaction from a friend who looked through my Pentax 645n with the 35mm mounted. Or on a lesser scale looked through my Pentax ME Super. Users of low end DSLRs don't know what they're missing, do they.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Letting folks look at the GG of my 8x10 or my 11x14 usually derails any possibility of a digital vs film conversation.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I was out with the 5x7 at Antietam National Battlefield Park, composing an image of one of the split-rail fences when a family complete with small kids came along and wondered what I was doing. I let everyone take a look under the darkcloth; the kids were somewhat impressed but not terribly excited (I'm guessing they were tired and at the end of their energy supplies - nap time must have been imminent). Dad was all macho - "that's cool", with a very cool response, but mom was flipping out - "WOW! It's like looking at Hi-Def TV!".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In most cases I get photographed by other photographers.
    Some explain they had a similar camera (although I mostly doubt it) but most of them say nothing, they just snap their shot.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    A number of years ago, going through security at an airport, I opened my briefcase and the young lady there saw my Contax IIA. She was ready to call a security guard when another inspector (and I) told her it was a camera! She said she never saw a camera like that. If that's who checks carry-ons for TSA, we're all in a lot of trouble.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kintatsu View Post
    One of the funny ones is, especially from older folks who used to use only film, if my camera will shoot in color.
    I had the opposite
    Must have been around 2006. Was on an excursion with some young girls (first or second year university students) and I made them some photographs. When I gave them the prints few days later one of them asked me if I have a camera that can shot B&W. I didn't go into details about it T-400CN not being really B&W.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StephanA View Post
    A number of years ago, going through security at an airport, I opened my briefcase and the young lady there saw my Contax IIA. She was ready to call a security guard when another inspector (and I) told her it was a camera! She said she never saw a camera like that. If that's who checks carry-ons for TSA, we're all in a lot of trouble.
    Perhaps eight years ago I went through security with my Pentax LX outfit. I was told "Turn it on!" When I explained that it was a film camera the guards relented. Of course, I could have turned it on, but no screen would have lit up. At least I'd had the forethought to carry it unloaded, should the guards have wanted to verify that it was a camera. As far as your last sentence, given the poor pay, lousy working conditions, and general dislike from the public, how can we expect the "best and the brightest" to line up to work for TSA?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Over the last couple of weeks or so, I've been carrying around my "new" Agfa Isolette. I have to say, it is a great conversation starter. Lots of people come up to me and ask about it. The reaction has been universally positive.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin